MX Bikes demo

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
Ddavis

Re: MX Bikes demo

Post by Ddavis »

I haven't played any recent versions of MX Bikes but it still looks like the air mechanics are pretty "floaty" like most MX games. Not sure if it feels like that in-game, but that's usually something that drives me away from moto games that feel like you have zero gravity once you leave the ground. I might try it around Beta 10 or so, but I'm not sold yet. The graphics look better than MX Sim from what I've seen, but the physics aren't there yet. I'm not saying they need to be exactly like MXS, but as I said earlier I hope it doesn't feel like it looks.
Ddavis

Post by Ddavis »

I will add, however, that it reminds me a lot of what I thought MX sim looked like when I first saw footage of it around 2010. I still think it has a lot of potential.
Phathry25
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by Phathry25 »

Latest update is pretty good. Still pretty lost when it comes to control in the air. Not sure if it's me or the game. But on the ground it's pretty dang good. If you have a license it's probably worth checking out again.
motokid499
Team: Phil's

Post by motokid499 »

I have no idea how jlv did it but I just feel like there wont be anything in the near future that will be even remotely close to being as good as the physics of MX Simulator. I think the main problem game developers are having is they are just trying to add way too many opposing forces to compensate for their broken physics, if that makes any sense. MX Simulator feels so simple like there's not much too it, instead of the physics "feeling" accurate, I think they actually are. Where as MX-Bikes feels like PiBoSo is trying to mimic the feeling of a real life bike with an artificial ish feeling physics engine. I'm probably wrong but I really feel like the physics of MX-Bikes is a LOT more complex, if my understanding is correct.
Tanner Rogers
motokid499
Team: Phil's

Post by motokid499 »

DP, I think what it comes down to is counter steering. MX Simulator is the only motocross game in existence that uses true counter steering to control the bike, I think that doing it this way is the most effective way of simulating motocross into a controller. I'd like to see other developers start playing around with just using a simple counter steering method. After playing MX Simulator, everything else just feels broken in some way.
Tanner Rogers
Phathry25

Post by Phathry25 »

You're wrong. MX Bikes uses counter steering as well and doesn't apply outside forces to the bike. MX simulator does. That's what the gyroscopic stabilizer is. Outside forces...

Although MX Bikes is letting the computer do the actual steering of the bike. So the disconnect from controller to game is larger. You can manually disable the computer helper in MX Bikes, but it's not worth it without additional stabilization. You're correct that MX Sim is unrivaled though.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Phathry25 wrote:You're wrong. MX Bikes uses counter steering as well and doesn't apply outside forces to the bike. MX simulator does. That's what the gyroscopic stabilizer is. Outside forces...

Although MX Bikes is letting the computer do the actual steering of the bike. So the disconnect from controller to game is larger. You can manually disable the computer helper in MX Bikes, but it's not worth it without additional stabilization. You're correct that MX Sim is unrivaled though.
Phat is wrong. MX Simulator does not use outside forces. The stabilizer only applies force (and the required counter force) to the steering.

Arcade mode does cheat and use external forces.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Phathry25

Post by Phathry25 »

crap. Well even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

Can the gyro be disabled all together?
nickuzick

Post by nickuzick »

What was that program called that automatically downloaded most of the community dynos and paints called? Syncback? Is that still up for mxb?
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

There would be the place...
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
LKR47
Team: LCQ Studios

Post by LKR47 »

nickuzick wrote:What was that program called that automatically downloaded most of the community dynos and paints called? Syncback? Is that still up for mxb?
Ill check the profiles when I get home but the thread was taken down with the tutorial and proper links. Most of the bikes and tire models need redone for b7.
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

syncback will be discontinued they said. it'll have to go back to a big file scenario to match content with everyone else. lame either way.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
LKR47
Team: LCQ Studios

Post by LKR47 »

Yeah that really blows. Makes playing online even more off-putting than it already is.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Phathry25 wrote:crap. Well even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

Can the gyro be disabled all together?
It's not a gyro. It's basically accelerometers controlling a motor connected to the steering. It's trying to mimic your reflexive reactions according to what your inner ear is telling you. Zeroing out the advanced stability settings will disable it.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Phathry25

Post by Phathry25 »

I must be getting senile in my old age. Could have sworn you referred to it as a gyroscopic stabilizer in the past. Anywho... its great. Hadn't played in a while and fired it up last night to try and disable the stabilizer and it's still amazing just how natural it feels.

Couldn't seem to get the stabilizer disabled though. Zeroed everything except steering strength and force but even with both maxed out there was too little steering force to do anything much.

When will GP Simulator become an option? I'd gladly pay an additional $84 for that.