Motosim Ideas

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
attacker5
Team: Ub e moh tow

Motosim Ideas

Post by attacker5 »

Hello all,

I have been in the process of developing a 2D moto game for years now, on and off, when I have time. I have also scrapped the project countless times and started over. Over the years my programming ability has dramatically improved and then I can't stand the bad code I wrote towards the beginning of the project and hence, I scrap it. I have now got to the point where I believe my physics are pretty believable, and have it coded in a logical manner which should allow for almost anything to be added, somewhat modular.

I have the bike's physics model completed, including the suspension and engine. The rider is functioning and good enough for now, although I have more ideas in the near future for the rider. I am using a PS4 controller with it, and its butter smooth. The clutch is modeled as accurately as I can get it, and I believe it works pretty well. I have gone into huge detail, to the point where engine inertia is calculated given the crank mass and moment of inertia, meaning adjustments to crank mass will not only weighten the bike, it will effect the cg, it will change the engine performance exactly as in real life.

I would like to know, what would be some game play features that you guys would like to see, bearing in mind, it is as simulator as you can get in 2D. I am currently trying to think of ways in which tracks can be made? Possibly arrays of numbers in a text file, meaning user created tracks are possible.

Any ideas are welcome, just trying to come up with something.

Ramon
mace-x
Team: your sister´s fan!

Re: Motosim Ideas

Post by mace-x »

Yes, that sounds great! :D

The only thing that i´d love is fmx mode, a track with a jump line and trick scores based on extension and combinations.
Of course that is aside of the racing.
Massacre ftw!

the human stupidity and the universe are unlimited, and im not totally sure about the universe...
Motolife_99
Team: KMR

Post by Motolife_99 »

mxmadman374
Team: Privateer

Post by mxmadman374 »

My suggestion would be to make it 3d. I know that's about the hardest thing someone could suggest, but 2d dirt bikes have been done over and over since excite bike and they don't bring much to the table.

Plus I think it would be such a shame to see all that physics programming go to waste on another 2d game. Really mxs is the only show in town trying to really simulate the physics accurately without training wheels.

Regardless, best ofk luck to you, I'm sure I'll play it when it comes out, 3d or otherwise.
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

What did you end up doing for the clutch? Just curious.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
attacker5

Post by attacker5 »

Oh hey, I calculated the moment of inertia of the crank with the piston, and calculated the torque the clutch is exerting on the crank, this gave me the torque and inertia values to calculate the angular acceleration of the crank.

w = t/I

The torque was calculated by finding the difference in rpm of the crank and the clutch plates and then multiplying it by the current clutch friction. It works quite well, and I am happy with it. I also have the track editor fully working and it uses external files to load tracks. So it is already possible to share tracks and make tracks right in the game itself. Unfortunately my inner fire bug has awoken and I am messing around with a full fledged 3D version in Unreal4, but that is just temporary and I will work on this again soon. I would like to get a working and playable version out soon.

Cheers
checkerz
Team: RaGe Factory

Post by checkerz »

I should sell you my ideas, you know with my credentials as a former game designer and all. Haha, kidding. Congratulations on making it this far.

The first few off the top of my head in order by priority to make the game succeed:
1)Time trial/Ghost mode - shaerable online would be ideal and really help the longevity of the title as well as the awareness/growth of the title (viral)
2)Track editor - set it apart from the others, longevity of the title, again sharing would be ideal
3) Skin editor - The MX crowd will be your initial target audience and image is everything to these people
4) Challenge mode or mini achievements - longest wheelie, most hangtime, longest jump, etc.

I would be into doing some tooling/working/playing with making tracks for it at some point. For that, I would say giving the ability to draw 2D lines for the track and have it calculate numbers on the backend would be ideal based on the points it plots, or second best would be to just plot the points.
attacker5

Post by attacker5 »

Thanks, I agree.

Here is a video of the editor and the bike physics coming along. The suspension currently has a linear 5.1kg/mm spring, 5mm of preload and a linear damper.

The rider is also at a fixed height, so he looks a little stiff, but that's is in the works and he or she will be able to sit down and flow much better soon. I am using a PS4 controller to control the bike and rider. There are some programming debug gizmos and so, so please forgive them. Oh and its a 2013 Crf250r, think it might have some suzuki gearing from when I was messing with it, you get the idea though.

Paulo#33
Team: Me and God

Post by Paulo#33 »

attacker5 wrote:Thanks, I agree.

Here is a video of the editor and the bike physics coming along. The suspension currently has a linear 5.1kg/mm spring, 5mm of preload and a linear damper.

The rider is also at a fixed height, so he looks a little stiff, but that's is in the works and he or she will be able to sit down and flow much better soon. I am using a PS4 controller to control the bike and rider. There are some programming debug gizmos and so, so please forgive them. Oh and its a 2013 Crf250r, think it might have some suzuki gearing from when I was messing with it, you get the idea though.

Amazing Attacker, i will release a new gameplay of DirtBike Sim soon... :)
Hello i'm MotocrossPlays Channel
Check out and subscribe
http://youtube.com/user/pingo33
dylan22

Post by dylan22 »

When he leans forward try keep his knees more neutral and have his upper body move more. Looks like a super goon haha. Game looks cool though.
DK662

Post by DK662 »

The editor looks awesome. Looks like its super easy to be creative with track designing. Can't wait to play it.
MX181

Post by MX181 »

reminds me off

dunno what happen was very very very promising: http://forum.mxsimulator.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18833

suppose you went back to 2d? look very similar to 2dmx now:

good luck and look forward to playing it.
cant wait to use the editor it looks rad