Whats your pc?

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Re: Whats your pc?

Post by Wahlamt »

I am a bit confused here. Purchased a 8700k yesterday and I want to get this motherboard: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PR ... fications/ . However I am not sure on memory yet (probably trident z) but I see that it says "3000(O.C.)" for example. Does this mean that I can throw 3000mhz in there out of the box or do I need to fiddle with stuff? Not too keen to "overclock" ram haha :P
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

That just means its capable of running that speed or overclocked to that speed. If you have RAM within its range it should run its stock clocks.
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

Pumaxcs wrote:That just means its capable of running that speed or overclocked to that speed. If you have RAM within its range it should run its stock clocks.
Thanks, wanted to be sure! :)
Ddavis

Post by Ddavis »

Hey guys I would like some advice. My power supply is failing on me, and it's causing my PC to reboot itself while gaming and I'm worried if I let it go any longer it's going to have long lasting effects to my components.

This is my PC: https://www.newegg.com/global/au/Produc ... 0AJ1JH9636

and it listed power supply as 500W and I don't know enough about the insides of computers to open it up and try to see which brand it is, so I was wondering if I should get a 500W power supply and if the brand name doesn't matter that much? I'm also wondering if it's worth it to spend $40 (give or take) on a power supply or if cheaper power supplies aren't worth it, and I should only invest in a more expensive one. Also let me know if there's any on this page that look good https://www.newegg.com/global/au/Produc ... ageSize=36

Thanks in advance.
DBRider251
Team: Elevated Motorsports

Post by DBRider251 »

Ddavis wrote:if the brand name doesn't matter that much?
I'm sure I won't be the only one to say don't cheap out on a PSU. Brand names absolutely matter, in my opinion. Right now, EVGA has a B Stock PSU for only $20, and its 600w. If you don't care about modular ability. (Which I assume you don't, considering your case doesn't have a window, and modular is more for cable management.)
TeamHavocRacing wrote:it's all the liberals fault
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

I'll be honest in saying just by looking at your PC specs I don't have a good sense of power draw of it. There are calculators out there (https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/) to help determine that. I will say that if in doubt, go bigger. Your failure could be caused by overuse (spec'd too small, which if it was a prebuilt I would think this isn't the case) or age/poor quality. If you want to be safe I would say go 650w if you currently have a 500w, and a reputable brand (EVGA as mentioned before, Corsair, Antec etc.) Also pay attention to the standard; Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Titanium. It's definitely worth it to spend more on a power supply, if it fails it can take a lot of other stuff out with it.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

A power failure causing a restart is fairly uncommon. Whats happening that makes you think its that? In most cases a PSU failure would not boot at all. Is Windows saying there is something wrong or freezing at all before it restarts?

Brand names are important but there are a few PSU manufacturers (same as most PC components, few fabricate but more sell. It boils down to marketing and brand extra's.) so the brand and internals are important but could be the exact same between a few different brands. As mentioned though, absolutely do not cheap out here. Saving $20 here could literally ruin the other $800 worth of PC. I spent $200 on a PSU (completely overkill, using this as an example not a standard) and I've used it for my past 3 PC builds with plenty of life left in it. Same as a case, they are very versatile and can be repurposed very easily.
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
Ddavis

Post by Ddavis »

Pumaxcs wrote:A power failure causing a restart is fairly uncommon. Whats happening that makes you think its that? In most cases a PSU failure would not boot at all. Is Windows saying there is something wrong or freezing at all before it restarts?
When I open up CSGO and even recently while playing MX Simulator it will freeze and have a screeching sound before it automatically restarts itself. Do you think that's PSU related? My event logs in my PC said "Kernal Power" which makes me think its PSU related. Anyone have any ideas?

If so, I was thinking about picking up a new PSU this weekend..

This one looks good for the price
https://www.frys.com/product/9063707?si ... IN_RSLT_PG

and this is what is currently in my PC at the moment (I haven't actually opened up the tower and looked though)
https://www.frys.com/product/6893426?si ... IN_RSLT_PG
Ddavis

Post by Ddavis »

I've googled the issue before and everything leads to PSU failure.
Ddavis

Post by Ddavis »

Sorry for triple post but for example...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/32052 ... ying-games
Finalmushroom
Team: Privateer

Post by Finalmushroom »

INVADEtheLINE wrote:2007 Mac Pro

- (2) 3.2GHz Quad-Core Xeon (It means it's an 8-core computer)
- 32GB of RAM
- 2.5TB of HDD space (3HDD bays)
- NIVIDIA Quadro FX 5600
- 20'' Flat panel
- Mac OS X Leopard
- Parallels Desktop running Vista (lets me play MX Sim, among other applications)

Yes, this computer is expensive, but my uncle Tom works for Apple, so I got an amazing deal on it.
I'm going to college for Engineering, so it gets A LOT of use. Most of my storage is for videos my friends edit, as well as my music.
How'd you get other OS's on your Mac? Is it spendy or a shady application?
I've got a buddy who wants to buy this game but only has a Mac.
Ddavis

Post by Ddavis »

I know this isn't a good thing that's why I'm asking for help.

Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

Ddavis wrote:I know this isn't a good thing that's why I'm asking for help.

A Kernal Power error just means that there was an unexpected power loss, meaning your restart. However, seeing the brand you have it could very well be a degrading PSU. Could be its not able to sustain a consistent level at loads and the PC sees a voltage variance and shuts down or could be the capacitors are overheating and shutting down in that regard. Both make sense and are a possibility with what you described there.

Thermaltake has gained the nickname "Thermalfake" mostly because of their case designs being heavily plagiarized from other companies but overall a shady business. I'd get the Antec instead

https://www.frys.com/product/6993177?si ... IN_RSLT_PG
MXS Cares
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

I had a PSU literally blow up and take my motherboard with it. If I were you I'd replace it before it does any damage to your system.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
dawsonsleeper

Post by dawsonsleeper »

Finalmushroom wrote:
INVADEtheLINE wrote:2007 Mac Pro

- (2) 3.2GHz Quad-Core Xeon (It means it's an 8-core computer)
- 32GB of RAM
- 2.5TB of HDD space (3HDD bays)
- NIVIDIA Quadro FX 5600
- 20'' Flat panel
- Mac OS X Leopard
- Parallels Desktop running Vista (lets me play MX Sim, among other applications)

Yes, this computer is expensive, but my uncle Tom works for Apple, so I got an amazing deal on it.
I'm going to college for Engineering, so it gets A LOT of use. Most of my storage is for videos my friends edit, as well as my music.
How'd you get other OS's on your Mac? Is it spendy or a shady application?
I've got a buddy who wants to buy this game but only has a Mac.
you can play on a map
jlv wrote:WTF I love Trump now! Make America great again!