Whats your pc?

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Re: Whats your pc?

Post by Pumaxcs »

I'm almost positive it involves the RAM usage. Do you think its something that could be patched or hardware limitation?
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
Hi Im Skyqe
Team: wat

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

jlv wrote:There's no doubt it's an amazing value if you spend a lot of time waiting for stuff to render. I'm actually thinking of buying one for myself, since I do spend a fair amount of time waiting for stuff like compilers and raytracers.

It's also kind of weird that it's extremely competitive against the Intel chips in non gaming tests but consistently behind a bit for games. I wonder if the quad channel memory helps Intel there. It might help when setting up GPU draw calls since that should involve filling out a DMA buffer in non-cache memory. (There's a drawcall benchmark here and Ryzen doesn't do well on it.) Could be that Ryzen does better when running out of its cache but falls behind on writes to RAM.
From what I have read there may be some sort of a BIOS update due to memory compatibility issues. Don't know if it will make a huge difference but it could be helpful and may answer some of the questions on the gaming performance..

After doing a bunch of reading I am kind of feeling let down slightly by the performance in gaming use compared to the huge amount of hype Ryzen was given leading up to launch. Don't get me wrong Ryzen is a crazy good value and goes head to head with broadwell-e and I am happy there is another option and competitor for Intel. This has been needed for some time with how the cost of Intel products has been going up and performance hasn't been seeing the same incremental increase as the price has.. I feel that the Enthusiast lineup from Intel aside from flagship models hasn't seen a ton of improvement (clock speed wise) and relied on IPC increases only unlike the mainstream gaming processors which have been getting faster from generation to generation. I don't see how we don't have a 4+ GHz 6 core processor from Intel by now. Seems you are stuck choosing single core performance vs multi core. Judging by the leaked speeds of Ryzen 5 it seems that the focus was to try and really go after the Enthusiast market by AMD.

Unfortunately I just feel that with Ryzen performance being on par with the current Intel offering when you take everything into account Intel will still find a way to justify there high prices on the upcoming Skylake-X processors. Intel will introduce it with it's 5-10% increase in IPC and a slightly higher clock speed which will put it ahead of Ryzen by a fair margin and then ask everyone to open there wallets... :lol:
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Pumaxcs wrote:I'm almost positive it involves the RAM usage. Do you think its something that could be patched or hardware limitation?
Actually, I worked it out and there's easily enough bandwidth to handle the data for the drawcall benchmark. So I don't think it's a dual vs quad channel memory thing. Something is definitely wrong though. Check out the Linux Dota 2 Vulkan benchmark at Phoronix. The Phoronix guy is confused about the meaning of the BIOS setting, it's not cores+threads, the setting selects which CPU complex it's activating the cores on, 2+2 is 2 cores on each side and 4+0 is all on one side. Anyway, as he activates more cores the performance goes down dramatically.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
mack| spokes
Team: Onlyfansracing

Post by mack| spokes »

This does Ryzen some extreme justice imo.
jlv wrote: Either way, for a suicidal rampage it was pretty good.
MXSEMF
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

I'm more curious in the quad-core Ryzen chips and how they'll stack up against the Intel equivalent. Hopefully they will be able to have a higher base clock and perform better in gaming. I don't need 8 cores or want to spend $500 on a CPU.
LKR47
Team: LCQ Studios

Post by LKR47 »

Has anyone ever done any data recovery? Trying to get a sql database off of a corrupt ext4 partition and wondering how I should go about it.
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

LKR47 wrote:Has anyone ever done any data recovery? Trying to get a sql database off of a corrupt ext4 partition and wondering how I should go about it.
I dealt with this not too long ago. MY HDD had some bad sectors and wouldn't boot. This is what I used + a SATA to USB cable. Seemed to be the only thing that worked for me.

https://www.piriform.com/recuva
LKR47
Team: LCQ Studios

Post by LKR47 »

Thanks! Ill try it out.
ROSE822
Team: Hidden Design

Post by ROSE822 »

What Motherboard for a Intel I5 7600K? :oops:
ROSE822
Team: Hidden Design

Post by ROSE822 »

ROSE822 wrote:What Motherboard for a Intel I5 7600K? :oops:
DP, what i meant was What recommendations for a motherboard?
DBRider251
Team: Elevated Motorsports

Post by DBRider251 »

ROSE822 wrote:
Depends. What form factor? Do you want to SLI? Crossfire? How much RAM do you have/would like?
TeamHavocRacing wrote:it's all the liberals fault
mack| spokes
Team: Onlyfansracing

Post by mack| spokes »

DBRider251 wrote:
ROSE822 wrote:
Depends. What form factor? Do you want to SLI? Crossfire? How much RAM do you have/would like?
Brand wise probably asus (imo make the best motherboards & gpu's out) check this list out and see what you like.
jlv wrote: Either way, for a suicidal rampage it was pretty good.
MXSEMF
Hi Im Skyqe

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

mack| spokes wrote:
DBRider251 wrote:
ROSE822 wrote:
Brand wise probably asus (imo make the best motherboards & gpu's out) check this list out and see what you like.

Or this one with actual information explaining each offering.. :lol:

http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/01/03/z270- ... ard-guide/
DonaldH
Team: Ginger Snap Racing

Post by DonaldH »

Is anyone here using a 7350k? Or at least a 7300. Debating on using one and either a 1070 or 1080. I'm hoping to be able to take advantage of my new 144hz 1440p monitor. But not sure if I should just splerge for the 7700k when I do play a wide variety of games. Thanks everyone
#155 Privateer AM
Hi Im Skyqe

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

A 7600k will bottleneck a 1080 and be on the edge for a 1070. I would go up to a 7700k and 1080 especially since you will be running 1440p.