Whats your pc?

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
DBRider251
Team: Elevated Motorsports

Re: Whats your pc?

Post by DBRider251 »

Sabo wrote:
DBRider251 wrote:Also, I'm pretty sure that PSU would literally try to hang itself if you ran that 1080 TI for any more than 20 seconds
quit stealing my intelligence, brain vacuum.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:it's all the liberals fault
AtlasZoor
Team: Atlas Trackworks

Post by AtlasZoor »

DBRider251 wrote:Any reason on the air cooled CPU cooler over a 240mm AIO?
Don’t want to have to deal with faulty water cooling. I have read good and bad things about AIOs. And the dark rock can cool the thing fine. I also don’t plan on overclocking to much if at all. And also about the psu pcpart picker says 470w usage. But just to be sure I did up it to a 750w.
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

yzmxer608 wrote:
Pumaxcs wrote:What are you using for a motherboard? M.2 storage is comparable to a SATA SSD and faster than it in a RAID setup. Also wouldn't do a RAID setup on SSD's as you hit throughput levels that SATA can provide and add the risk of RAID failures. Not worth it to me. My setup is a 256GB OS M.2, 256GB SSD for games, 2TB HDD for extra. My home PC has nothing other than games and recording so all of my drives could crash and I would lose nothing of value so can't speak to needing backups and such. I did use FreeNas when I set up a DAS but it was a dedicated system, not sure if they have refined anything to a program use yet.
Asus Rampage IV Formula, no M.2 unfortunately. Thanks for the heads up on the raid though. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6813131808
Hey, so I looked into this and turns out I was completely wrong. RAID with an SSD between two drives actually scales really well. Not sure what I remembered before. I stand by real-world performance, you won't notice anything but if you often find yourself moving large files back and forth that could cut its transfer time in half.
AtlasZoor wrote:
DBRider251 wrote:Any reason on the air cooled CPU cooler over a 240mm AIO?
Don’t want to have to deal with faulty water cooling. I have read good and bad things about AIOs. And the dark rock can cool the thing fine. I also don’t plan on overclocking to much if at all. And also about the psu pcpart picker says 470w usage. But just to be sure I did up it to a 750w.
Looks fine to me. The biggest thing with PSU is brand as some cheap ones would be scary putting out 100% wattage at all times but an EVGA gold rated could manage a higher end (meaning as in a rev limiter sense, no over revving) without too much stress. Its always better to have headroom, 650w is what I'd baseline. As long as the tower has enough clearance for the cooler that's a solid cooler for it.
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
KTM57

Post by KTM57 »

Yup, do your research and make sure your case will fit that thing, because the bequiet coolers are gigantic.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
AtlasZoor
Team: Atlas Trackworks

Post by AtlasZoor »

KTM57 wrote:Yup, do your research and make sure your case will fit that thing, because the bequiet coolers are gigantic.
yup I did. should fit if the numbers are correct on fractals website.
KTM57

Post by KTM57 »

Nice. Those are pretty trick air coolers. I swear I saw a photo once of a side panel that had been cut and welded on to give enough clearance, but I couldn't find it.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

Took the leap...

500GB Samsung 860 will use for OS/program documents whatever
2x 1TB Samsung 860 will use for mainly games/programs in raid 0. Price was the same for that or 1x 2TB, so the same capacity with faster performance in certain situations, I'll take it.

Also bought Win10... I've been putting this off for my main PC until now. I'll see how it goes, hopefully I don't have unforseen capability issues with anything. Honestly from using it on my laptop the only thing I like is the weather app and quick startup :lol:. I'll get DX12... Can't say on 7 forever.

Also got a Corsair 750D, using a CM 690 right now and it's a PITA to take the fans on and off of my Phanteks cooler right now to clean. More space should help, and it'll look cooler :mrgreen:. PLUS, I plan on getting a lit mid panel. I love the look of these things (https://www.coldzero.eu/2270-large_defa ... ghtbox.jpg).

Note I said plan on, would have ordered already but my credit card provider safety stuff shut down my order for some sleeving and stuff from frozen cpu already. I'm guessing because of orders in close proximity. I wish it had some notification asking you if it was legit purchase or not, now I have to call the card company tomorrow, go through a bunch of automated messages to get through to a real person, then tell them it was a legit purchase, and then probably have to place the order again.. Like the 3rd time this has happened already :evil: .
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

You getting the 750D Airflow edition? I found about a 5 degree difference in the panels, definitely worth it if that is the case. Also, is Frozen CPU still a thing? Last I heard they were losing their warehouse and were no longer accepting orders.
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
yzmxer608

Post by yzmxer608 »

I didn't do the airflow edition :oops:. I'll have to do some testing with the cover on and off and see what happens. Right now I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with fans. I'm losing a 5.25" bay spot so I probably will be losing my fan controller. Not sure what fans to use on the heatsink/case exhaust that will be fast enough for the performance I want but not loud 100% of the time. Or get an internal controller. I'm not too happy with the Corsair SP Quiet fans I'm using now, but the old San Ace's I was using before and needed the controller for are way too loud at 100% to use all the time.

I was able to get the hold off of my card and resbumitted my orders. The frozen cpu order went through but I guess I'll have to wait until the work week starts to see if they truly accept it.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
yzmxer608

Post by yzmxer608 »

Think I'll leave the fan controller, take out the CD drive and get an external USB one instead. I don't use it much anymore but is nice to have when I want to use it.
Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

The AIO's with built in fan hubs are all I've ever needed. Even when I had my 750D I didn't use the 5.25 bay, I bought an adapter to put my HDD in it so I could remove the hanging drive bays and leave it open. I guess now I see why you went with an older case. :lol:

I'd definitely get the airflow edition or get the MNPCtech modded front. You could even do it yourself but I'm not craftsmen enough to go for anything like that. As far as fans/fan controllers go The Corsair Commander was a good software suite but never had the unit. Seemed pricey for what it was but I never had enough fans to warrant it. I've used Noiseblocker BlackSilent fans for years and I love them, they are a competitor to Noctua and the accessories and such they include are meant more for radiators but can help with any sort of vibration on the case too. Recently put the eLoop series on a friends and they might be better for air cooling and little cheaper as the rubber accessories were just built into the frame.
MXS Cares
yzmxer608

Post by yzmxer608 »

Thanks for the info. I actually found the airflow edition front panel on Corsair's website for sale https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categorie ... CC-8930331. The MNPC Tech is out of stock. I'm going to hold off on buying it until I figure out what I'm going to do with fans, if I end up buying more (read the mess below lol).

These are the fans I used before and like, they're ugly but move a lot of air and performed well when turned down (with NZXT Sentry). https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Sa ... bBvQ%3D%3D I think I'll leave the 2 140s in front, take the exhaust it comes with and move it to the top rear most position as exhaust, then, use my 'industrial grade' fans on the heatsink and one in the rear exhaust (all 3 same fans in line with each other). Then I guess use one of my SP's as intake on top in front of the heatsink? That's how I have it setup now but no top exhaust. Since I have the light box I might put one as exhaust on the bottom if I have room just to get air moving around the HD, I plan on putting the SSD's in back and the one hard drive down below.

Just not sure on the top fans, I don't want a useless air loop between the intake and exhaust. I suppose other option would be to get the high performance SP's for the heatsink, leave the stock exhaust fan (it's just a grey AF right?) and another AF intake on top? I don't know :lol:. For how much more room is in the case I just don't know if the one exhaust is sufficient.

Did pick up an external disc drive today though, just tested and works pretty well, a little slower than my normal drive but for how much I use it it'll be good.
Hi Im Skyqe
Team: wat

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

yzmxer608 wrote:I didn't do the airflow edition :oops:. I'll have to do some testing with the cover on and off and see what happens. Right now I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with fans. I'm losing a 5.25" bay spot so I probably will be losing my fan controller. Not sure what fans to use on the heatsink/case exhaust that will be fast enough for the performance I want but not loud 100% of the time. Or get an internal controller. I'm not too happy with the Corsair SP Quiet fans I'm using now, but the old San Ace's I was using before and needed the controller for are way too loud at 100% to use all the time.

I was able to get the hold off of my card and resbumitted my orders. The frozen cpu order went through but I guess I'll have to wait until the work week starts to see if they truly accept it.
I wouldn't order from Frozen CPU. They have had management issues in the past and I have heard of people not receiving orders. I would recommend Performance PCS.
yzmxer608

Post by yzmxer608 »

Well damn. I've used both Frozen and Performance in the past with no issues, but it's been probably 4 years.. I guess I'll see what happens with this, if my order doesn't ship this week I'll try to get it canceled and go to Performance.
John23

Post by John23 »

I'm looking to upgrade my PC soon.

As of now, my current build is:
CPU: AMD - FX-8350 4GHz 8-Core Processor ($87.40 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - 970 GAMING ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston - SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($42.20 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card ($400.00)
Case: Corsair - SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($97.79 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Cooler Master - SickleFlow (Red) 69.7 CFM 120mm Fan ($8.24 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Cooler Master - SickleFlow (Red) 69.7 CFM 120mm Fan ($8.24 @ OutletPC)
Total: $876.62

I was thinking of upgrading everything except my GPU, Storage, and PSU.

An Upgrade Rig Would Be:
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($165.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X52 Rev 2 73.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($132.88 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($113.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($168.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Kingston - SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $89.89)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased for $42.20)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card (Purchased For $502.78)
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair - CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased for $97.79)
Total (Not Yet Purchase): $681.63
Total (Purchased): $732.66
Total: $1414.29

Do you think it is worth the $680 to upgrade my current PC, or should I save some more, and do a full new build?

New Build Rig
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($165.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X52 Rev 2 73.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($132.88 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($113.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($168.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.39 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card ($379.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1278.99

I was deciding if I should go 1060 or 1070. According to UserBenchmark, the 1060 falls a little behind the 980, but the 1070 is much better than the 980. Any thoughts?

So, do you think it would be smart to spend the $680 on an upgrade build, or should I save for the $1300 build?

Thank you
jlv wrote:This post is useless.