Whats your pc?

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
Pumaxcs
Posts: 12672
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:50 pm
Team: Kyle/Luiz
Location: Western, Kentucky
Contact:

Re: Whats your pc?

Postby Pumaxcs » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:10 pm

I had a H100i V1 in my first PC that went for 4 years before a pump failure. Corsair was really helpful and got me a replacement one quick. I now use the NZXT x62 in my PC for epeen reasons, the H100i is now in my VR PC. The H100i (from memory) kept CPU i7 4770k at ~65c/100%. The x62, which is a 280mm keeps CPU i7 7700k at ~50c/100%. There is some IPC benefits and larger rad to help that but overall even a 120mm AIO would get under 70C pretty consistently but considering most AIO's from 120-240 are like $20 difference its worth the bump up.
Image
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.

MXS Cares

User avatar
Wahlamt
Posts: 5845
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:15 pm
Team: MLG Compton
Location: Sweden

Re: Whats your pc?

Postby Wahlamt » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:35 pm

SKlein wrote:
Wahlamt wrote:A few questions:
1. Aio coolers, much dofference between 120mm and 240mm temperature wise?
2. Read some comments saying that the corsair H series looses its performance after 3 years, any truth to this?

1. It depends on your desired use for the build as a whole. If you plan on doing decent OCing and some CAD work, the 240mm would only benefit you, but if you're just general gaming/video editing a 120mm AIO setup won't be underpowered per se. If you're looking for specifics there's almost certainly some YouTube videos that can give you exact temps.

2.I have an H100i v2 model. My first one failed on me after about a year, but had no trouble getting a cross-shipped replacement to me quickly. I've been running the new one for about 4-5 months with no troubles yet.

Just gaming/video editing as you mentioned.

The aio coolers... Are they pre-filled or do you actually need to fill them? :shock:

User avatar
SKlein
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:08 pm
Team: Evergood
Location: MN

Re: Whats your pc?

Postby SKlein » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:47 pm

Wahlamt wrote:The aio coolers... Are they pre-filled or do you actually need to fill them? :shock:

I can't speak for every company, but as far as I'm aware all Corsair AIO's are pre-filled. It's why I decided to go that route, it's incredibly easy all around and there's minimal setup once done (in your case, adjust fan curves/speeds). Once you power on the PC you'll get to hear the liquid cycle through and that's about it, not much to it.

Colby
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:21 am
Team: ilabb.com
Location: Canada

Re: Whats your pc?

Postby Colby » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:20 pm

Any thoughts on my first build? https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/kJ9JJV

Pumaxcs
Posts: 12672
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:50 pm
Team: Kyle/Luiz
Location: Western, Kentucky
Contact:

Re: Whats your pc?

Postby Pumaxcs » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:30 pm

Every company that makes an AIO is a closed loop. AIO stands for All In One meaning that rad/pump/block/fans/liquid is included all in one product. They are popular because they have similar performance to custom loops without any of the maintenance (other than the normal dusting, no bleeding liquid and cleaning blocks that custom has).

Colby wrote:Any thoughts on my first build? https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/kJ9JJV


Only suggestion would be to get a 2x4GB RAM kit instead of single stick, unless you plan on upgrading to 16GB eventually. I'd also get a 120mm fan for front intake. That case only comes with a 80mm exhaust and while your PC isn't going to generate a ton of heat its always best to keep fresh intake in some fashion. Both are preferences though, don't listen if you don't want. What you have in that list is solid.
Image
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.

MXS Cares

User avatar
Wahlamt
Posts: 5845
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:15 pm
Team: MLG Compton
Location: Sweden

Re: Whats your pc?

Postby Wahlamt » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:12 am

Pumaxcs wrote:I had a H100i V1 in my first PC that went for 4 years before a pump failure. Corsair was really helpful and got me a replacement one quick. I now use the NZXT x62 in my PC for epeen reasons, the H100i is now in my VR PC. The H100i (from memory) kept CPU i7 4770k at ~65c/100%. The x62, which is a 280mm keeps CPU i7 7700k at ~50c/100%. There is some IPC benefits and larger rad to help that but overall even a 120mm AIO would get under 70C pretty consistently but considering most AIO's from 120-240 are like $20 difference its worth the bump up.

Just a "plz say no" question, pump failure, means that it just isn't working right, not leaking? :shock: Temps look nice. How are the sound levels? I think I have only the "exhaust" fan in atm, it's okay, except for when it pretends it's a spaceship when it ramps up to 100%... I'll ask a few more questions this weekend about fan configurations...

Pumaxcs
Posts: 12672
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:50 pm
Team: Kyle/Luiz
Location: Western, Kentucky
Contact:

Re: Whats your pc?

Postby Pumaxcs » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:43 pm

Pump failure meaning the pump that moves the hot water from the block into the radiator to cool it wasn't doing that anymore. Just hot water sitting in the block. CPU was ~90C on idle. Never high enough to cause damage to the system as it didn't shut down but enough to know something was up. No, no leaking and that is a pretty freak thing to happen. the warranty fully covered it and no real issues occurred from it, I still have 100% trust in AIO's as my 2 GPU's and CPU are cooled by AIO radiators. As far as sound goes water is better than air at removing heat and for 240mm radiators have more surface area for cooling than a tower. Therefore its no louder than your normal 120mm fans. Mine run at 50-60% which I think is the happy medium in performance/noise.
Image
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.

MXS Cares

User avatar
DBRider251
Posts: 1037
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:38 pm
Team: LCQ Studios

Re: Whats your pc?

Postby DBRider251 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:34 pm

Hey guys, I have a MSI Twin Frozr GTX770 2gb that I have just laying around with no use for. Hasn't really been used heavily, just a bit dusty. Didn't really get into gaming until I got my 970. I'll probably clean it before I send it out. First decent offer takes it, I know that it's not worth much, I just need money and don't need it.

Pic for reference.
Image
Image

User avatar
mack| spokes
Posts: 800
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:15 am
Team: Relax Attire

Re: Whats your pc?

Postby mack| spokes » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:06 am

Well i recently got a new computer, while it isnt brand new its still a massive upgrade for coming from a intel core duo processor to a i5 3570k, 8gb of ram and still my gtx660 ti which is the next update i need to make, My os is on a 120gb ssd and my games (excluding sim) are on my 1tb hard drive, i got heaps of spares with the pc including another graphics card and millions of things i dont need lol
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/2DYzJV
Just a quick note, all the parts in that build arent the exact parts as i couldnt be bothered to find the graphics card ssd or hard drive's correct manufacter, yes i realise there is a big warning sign i a did bios update on the board and the one usb 3 port at the front doesnt work which doesnt bother me.
I'am back, i shall be more dominant than shaq this time
Image

User avatar
Wahlamt
Posts: 5845
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:15 pm
Team: MLG Compton
Location: Sweden

Re: Whats your pc?

Postby Wahlamt » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:38 pm

I would go for a new GPU. Have the i5 4690k, went from 660 (not ti) to 980ti. Seemed to be a fair upgrade for me. Not really sure what'd be the bottleneck now as I'm not that good with PC's.

User avatar
mack| spokes
Posts: 800
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:15 am
Team: Relax Attire

Re: Whats your pc?

Postby mack| spokes » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:23 pm

Wahlamt wrote:I would go for a new GPU. Have the i5 4690k, went from 660 (not ti) to 980ti. Seemed to be a fair upgrade for me. Not really sure what'd be the bottleneck now as I'm not that good with PC's.

I haven't experienced any bottleneck, the gpu and cpu were made in the same year and I haven't oc'd the cpu (yet) so I don't quite I understand where you got the idea to assume a bottleneck. :(
I'am back, i shall be more dominant than shaq this time
Image

User avatar
Wahlamt
Posts: 5845
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:15 pm
Team: MLG Compton
Location: Sweden

Re: Whats your pc?

Postby Wahlamt » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:04 am

mack| spokes wrote:I haven't experienced any bottleneck, the gpu and cpu were made in the same year and I haven't oc'd the cpu (yet) so I don't quite I understand where you got the idea to assume a bottleneck. :(

They may have been made the same year, but 660ti is still a low end model, that was my point ;)

User avatar
motokid499
Posts: 1338
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:25 am
Team: Versus-PC.com
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Whats your pc?

Postby motokid499 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:56 pm

Question for thought.

The game heavily depends on single core performance, so on paper a $150 Intel i3 7350k should smash any ryzen chip out there for playing mxs, no? I understand there are a lot more factors involved but for the most part the i3 7350k scores significantly higher than even threadripper on single thread tasks. So for a sim build, it seems silly to me to get anything more than a $150 7350k. However, my BIGGEST issue with this game is the framerate fluctuation. When I do /fpshist in game I just get straight depressed. My fps literally ranges from 125-8fps and im running an intel CPU. Not sure if my single channel memory has anything to do with it but I do have only 1 stick of ram. Would ryzen be smart for MXS just for the framerate consistency alone? It might eliminate screen tearing etc.

Thoughts?
Tanner Rogers

jlv
Site Admin
Posts: 12321
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:39 am
Team: No Frills Racing
Contact:

Re: Whats your pc?

Postby jlv » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:15 am

If you're dropping to 8 fps it's a software problem. Say you get a CPU that's 10% faster. That would get you to 9 fps if the CPU were the problem.

When you get down to single digits it's usually because something isn't working right. There's a lot that can go wrong. Could be something isn't fitting in memory and thrashing. Could be other programs starting up and competing for resources. Could be something like a screen recorder or overlay confusing the graphics driver. But whatever it is, no hardware will be fast enough to muscle through the software problem.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.

User avatar
Hi Im Skyqe
Posts: 2488
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:52 pm
Team: wat

Re: Whats your pc?

Postby Hi Im Skyqe » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:25 am

motokid499 wrote:Question for thought.

The game heavily depends on single core performance, so on paper a $150 Intel i3 7350k should smash any ryzen chip out there for playing mxs, no? I understand there are a lot more factors involved but for the most part the i3 7350k scores significantly higher than even threadripper on single thread tasks. So for a sim build, it seems silly to me to get anything more than a $150 7350k. However, my BIGGEST issue with this game is the framerate fluctuation. When I do /fpshist in game I just get straight depressed. My fps literally ranges from 125-8fps and im running an intel CPU. Not sure if my single channel memory has anything to do with it but I do have only 1 stick of ram. Would ryzen be smart for MXS just for the framerate consistency alone? It might eliminate screen tearing etc.

Thoughts?


Buy a 8350k.


Return to “Off Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests