Oculus Rift Topic

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Oculus Rift Topic

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

I can't wait to have the money to burn on one of these babies. I thought of GoPro 3D and Oculus together and Googled it. Cool results.
Here's a video showing a guy holding an iPad at arm's length and moving all around to "look around" in the video. Sick.
http://www.hhcc.com/beacon/oculus-rift
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
DJD

Re: Oculus Rift Topic

Post by DJD »

Steam VR by HTC looks way more promising than the rift. I cant wait to try it.

aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

DJD wrote:Steam VR by HTC looks way more promising than the rift. I cant wait to try it.

"Looks way more promising" Doesn't even show it being used. :lol:
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

DJD wrote:Steam VR by HTC looks way more promising than the rift. I cant wait to try it.

"Looks way more promising" Doesn't even show it being used. :lol:
TeamHavocRacing

Hey Aeffertz, DJD makes some pretty bold statements sometimes, but we need competition to advance the tech. I think it looks cool! I like the idea of head movement being used as body-lean inputs. Of course turning your head lets you look around, but side to side and front to back movements could control body lean. Sore neck time.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
Vellu
Team: IRRG

Post by Vellu »

http://gizmodo.com/notculus-rift-how-i- ... 1688354373
Build your own with an Android phone and some cardboard :D I got it somewhat working but the framerate and resolution weren't so good so I didn't bother putting in more time to make it work perfectly...
Stability:
jlv wrote: You can do some fairly tame whips with it set to 95, but to really get it sideways you need to set it under 60.
TeamHavocRacing

The input lag is the toughest issue now that they've waited long enough for display technology to catch up. The laser system will be superior to the accelerometer system as far as accuracy and speed goes. It's like the difference between the Wii and PS3 Move. Same input style (Sony imitated) but superior system. The ease of use with an HMD will be the advantage for Rift with 1 piece of equipment vs. getting all set up with Steam's system, the price you pay for superior tech along with extra cost. Look's like a lot of players in the HMD market from what I saw on the tables in that video. We went through this before in the early '90's with VR getting a popularity boost with the movie Lawnmower Man and the VR game Dactyl Nightmare I got to pay 5 buck for 5 mins to play once at Incredible Universe(RIP). I'm excited since a lot a games will be able to use this tech as well as retrofit old titles with it.
TeamHavocRacing

Has anyone tried and/or had any luck running an Oculus Rift without USB 3.0?
RhysHarris
Team: FCA Offroad

Post by RhysHarris »

Mx simulator VR? Would it work? Thats the question
TeamHavocRacing

No, plus that wasn't my concern.
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

You could use a desktop app and technically play it but not in the way you want. It would just use the headset as a monitor, no in game tracking.

I know my Vive requires 3.0 for latency reasons. You might be able to plug it in and work on lower but with some latency. Could be that they also disable anything lower for user experience reasons. I know on a hardware level a 3.0 cable will work on the reduced 2.0 speeds.
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
TeamHavocRacing

Thanks Puma. I found an adapter card for 24 bucks. A guy from work with no pc won a Rift at the xmas party. He's balking even though he said he wasn't into it. We'll see what he wants for it.
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

Yeah a PCI add in for a few USB3 ports will work for that, no issues.
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.