Windows 8.1 Update Errors

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
Ddavis

Windows 8.1 Update Errors

Post by Ddavis »

Is my PC fucked? I was installing windows updates (that I had to turn off due to this exact issue) where it would attempt to install updates, but fail to do so, results in a black screen that says

We couldn't complete the updates
Undoing changes
Don't turn off your computer

This has happened before, and I went ahead and force-restarted my PC and turned off automatic updates. No long-lasting issues. However, last night I restarted my computer and it now has a black screen saying

Fatal error C0000034 applying update operation 464 of 154982 (_00000...)

I've tried to start it in safe mode but it goes to the same error above. I can't access my home page, this is as far as I can get. Is it possible to get back to my home page and not have corrupted files? No troll posts please, because I know you'd want legit replies if you were in this position as well.
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Re: Windows 8.1 Update Errors

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

Ddavis wrote:Is my PC fucked?
A PC is subject to it's input. You weren't very kind to it by installing Win 8.1. Now it's having revenge. Remember, PC's don't make mistakes, they carry out human error with extreme precision.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
Ddavis

Post by Ddavis »

TeamHavocRacing wrote:
Ddavis wrote:Is my PC fucked?
A PC is subject to it's input. You weren't very kind to it by installing Win 8.1. Now it's having revenge. Remember, PC's don't make mistakes, they carry out human error with extreme precision.
My computer came pre-installed with 8.1
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

Do you have any sort of 8.1 media? Sounds like a repair install could fix it.
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
Ddavis

Post by Ddavis »

What do you mean 8.1 media? I was doing the computers "important updates", it got stuck in the installing uninstalling screen, I force shut off my PC and now it's saying the "Fatal error C000034" errors, just wondering what that means? Someone my brother knows says it may be a failed hard drive. Mainly I just want to get back all of my files, I have a LOT of hours spent into the game and folders full of designs that I don't want to get destroyed trying to get my PC to start. I have photoshop, sony vegas pro, and other costly programs I got for free that I don't want to look into again.
KTM57

Post by KTM57 »

8.1 media would be a CD or bootable USB drive that you could use to install or run repairs for the OS.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
Ddavis

Post by Ddavis »

No I dont, to save some stress, are my files safe? I don't think it's a huge error, it just stuck in a weird startup mode that won't let me get to my home page (I'm hoping) and that I don't lose my photos, programs, and saved documents.
rideblue56
Team: FSK

Post by rideblue56 »

Ddavis wrote:Is my PC fucked? I was installing windows updates (that I had to turn off due to this exact issue) where it would attempt to install updates, but fail to do so, results in a black screen that says

We couldn't complete the updates
Undoing changes
Don't turn off your computer
Thats odd, i have windows 7, im having this issue now. Started when 10 was released. Is this their way to force you to update to 10? :lol:
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

I can't emphasize enough how important it is to stick with Win 7 until the early adopters iron out the wrinkles of the newer OS's. I also realize how hard it is to justify $100 on your own copy of Windows. After these kind of problems, it becomes more important to the end user.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
Big Smooth one3
Team: TMFR [Aulmni]

Post by Big Smooth one3 »

Are you able to get a screen grab of what you are seeing (either with phone or somehow else)? Wondering if you're able to get to startup repair or the boot menu. I'm sure there are more qualified people on here with better technical knowledge (and hopefully they'll chime in and get you fixed), but I know the feeling you have and it sucks...really, really sucks...so if I'm able to somehow help I definitely will.

It seems to be a really common issue given the amount of results google returns when searching for the specific error code. I've seen one link with a similar issue where the person was able to remove the physical hard drive, plug it up to another PC and browse the files like it was an external - so don't take my word for it, but I wouldn't say it's a 100% certainty all is lost. I've read a number of responses on those pages that recommend trying to use system restore to roll the PC to an earlier date. There's another method that keeps popping up which involves editing a file within C:\Windows\winsxs called "pending.xml" through CMD. Point is, this isn't the first time someone has gotten this error, so hopefully you will be able to work around it.
Aggressively Mediocre Image
Hi Im Skyqe
Team: wat

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-comp ... ows-8.html

You need the windows disc or usb with windows to fix this.
SMR 510RR
Team: Privateer

Post by SMR 510RR »

Depending on how far it is booting before the error you may be able to restore to a previous date, that is always my first solution to every computer problem.