Own a New Yami? Take a Read

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
m121c

Own a New Yami? Take a Read

Post by m121c »

Alright I'm making this topic in regards to a on going and common issue that seems to surround Yamaha, more frequently in their new generation EFI bikes.

Frame Cracks. Steering head left side to be more exact. I've had 2 buddies have their 15 and 16's crack at this spot, and as it would have it my 16 yz450 has since cracked as well.

Anyone else? If you own one, check! If it's not cracked watch it carefully and often. I knew about it right when we picked up the 450 and I've been watching it for last 21 hours of riding, thinking everything is good and I'm just being paranoid (most say it happens early) I stopped looking for it all the time. It's been a few hours of ride time since then... wouldn't you know it, she's cracked. The bike has 21 totals hours on it.. keep an eye out for it.

Brand switch may be in order for me...
Bubba40
Team: Kyb/Enzo

Re: Own a New Yami? Take a Read

Post by Bubba40 »

m121c wrote:Alright I'm making this topic in regards to a on going and common issue that seems to surround Yamaha, more frequently in their new generation EFI bikes.

Frame Cracks. Steering head left side to be more exact. I've had 2 buddies have their 15 and 16's crack at this spot, and as it would have it my 16 yz450 has since cracked as well.

Anyone else? If you own one, check! If it's not cracked watch it carefully and often. I knew about it right when we picked up the 450 and I've been watching it for last 21 hours of riding, thinking everything is good and I'm just being paranoid (most say it happens early) I stopped looking for it all the time. It's been a few hours of ride time since then... wouldn't you know it, she's cracked. The bike has 21 totals hours on it.. keep an eye out for it.

Brand switch may be in order for me...
Call the dealer where you bought the bike from because they're sending people new frames from what my buddy says. when he was training for sx he went threw 3 frames every 2 months.
m121c

Post by m121c »

Forsure going to my dealer tomorrow. Was just wanting to let people know who may own one, would hate to see someone snap a frame or something.

Will my past experience with Yamaha though.. not really counting on anything from them.
dylan22

Post by dylan22 »

Just got a 15 yz450f today, Rip me.
On The Pipe
Team: Factory Suzuki

Post by On The Pipe »

I thought aluminum frames were supposed to be better than steel? :D
Bubba40
Team: Kyb/Enzo

Post by Bubba40 »

Big Smooth one3
Team: TMFR [Aulmni]

Post by Big Smooth one3 »

Was about to post this.

Judging by the post in that thread from today which mentions this issue in a bike with 21 hours, either that exact amount of ride-time is the tipping point, or Mason's already in that convo :mrgreen:
Aggressively Mediocre Image
James_122
Team: Channel 4 News

Post by James_122 »

Lose some fuckin weight Mason.
m121c

Post by m121c »

On The Pipe wrote:I thought aluminum frames were supposed to be better than steel? :D
Seriously starting to doubt the jap manufacturers...

It's funny how the tables have turned.. just a decade ago you were risking everything riding one of them orange bikes.
dylan22 wrote:Just got a 15 yz450f today, Rip me.
Something other stuff you should know about:

- Yamaha's are terrible with water. The wiring harness is straight out of the 1980's. It's best to use electrical grease on each connector and then wrap the connector in something, I used electrical tape to create a seal. Especially electrical in the tank area that is exposed.
- On the 250's the spark plug cap is known to pop out or come loose, not sure on the 450's. For some reason Yamaha thought it was a great idea to just have the spark plug cap snap into the top of the head and not actually put a bracket to hold it down. I had to buy the JGR bracket for my 250f. I haven't done so on the 450 and have had no issues.
- I recommend getting the power tuner. It has a diagnostic that will give you errors if there are any issues. Yamaha has some frequent issues with their sensors as well, have seen many people have issues due to a faulty sensor. (which your tuner with throw a code if that happens)

Don't want to scare you or anything, congrats on the new bike! I love my bikes, they are great. I know plenty of people that get them and run them through the ringer for hundreds of hours with zero issues. On the other hand, I've met an alarming amount of people that have had numerous factory related issues at very low hours. I don't know if it's rare that I get two Yamaha's in a row with factory related issues or what.

My beef with Yamaha is a whole story in itself... I feel they are a terrible company that does not back their products at the consumer level and its starting to be clear they have a internal quality issue at the factory.
Big Smooth one3 wrote:
Was about to post this.

Judging by the post in that thread from today which mentions this issue in a bike with 21 hours, either that exact amount of ride-time is the tipping point, or Mason's already in that convo :mrgreen:
Was probably me.. :lol:
model_90
Team: Heemlock

Post by model_90 »

James_122 wrote:Lose some fuckin weight Mason.
seriously bro invest in a gym membership or at least a road bike, I hear Jenny Craig is pretty
Peters as sharp as a mouse dick-Ol' PizzaChet
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

As much as I love my Yamaha I've wondered about some of their decisions, especially the crappy plastic design on the 2010 450 and the new four strokes. Not sure what's going on with all the quality issues, I don't think I've remembered them having problems like this in the past in any segment, maybe besides that chain issue they have a few years back. Then you have my dad's bike which is a 2004 and has had zero problems like this besides a header bending from a crash and the hotstart cracking in the carb because they made it out of plastic.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
yzmxer608

Post by yzmxer608 »

I guess it's kinda funny I just posted another snapped KTM and then posted in this topic :lol:.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
yzmxer608

Post by yzmxer608 »

Tweeted Keefer (I guess I could have emailed him instead) about this because I know he likes the Yamahas a lot, and since he's head tester at DR I figured he might have info on it.
m121c

Post by m121c »

Yamaha finally got back to me, what a waste of time.

They told me they can't do anything about it because the warranty on the bike expired 7 months ago (bought it 8 months ago). :roll:

Thanks Yamaha!
Andy_Hack
Team: SplitFire

Post by Andy_Hack »

Get a good aluminium welder to get it fixed, over here in germany i already heard of someone who added another weld over the existing ones(like they do with swingarms sometimes). However, it's a shame, a frame is actually not a wear part, but they turn it into one...
m121c wrote: Seriously starting to doubt the jap manufacturers...
It's funny how the tables have turned.. just a decade ago you were risking everything riding one of them orange bikes.
I kinda agree with you, i feel like the bikes aren't really getting better, just lighter and more powerful(which is usually just a matter of compression ratio, CDI/Mapping and better stock pipes). I slowly start to believe that all the manufacturers care about these days is to lower the costs of their bikes, instead of making them more reliable again. Air forks are for example just the peak of the iceberg.
I actually think that there are still good japanese bikes, hondas for example are made to last forever it seems, and well I can't really say a bad thing about Kawas either.
*fancy signature*
d4u5d6u7 wrote:good staff, nice skins, like