Own a New Yami? Take a Read

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
Racers52

Re: Own a New Yami? Take a Read

Post by Racers52 »

Andy_Hack wrote:Hondas for example are made to last forever!
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

I'd like to know things like if Yamaha has switched manufacturing facilities or suppliers for things etc. Besides the recall they had for chains a few years ago I don't recall anything majorly going wrong with their products. I'm not brand loyal for no reason, my father has used Yamaha off and on since the 80's, and I have since my first bike with no major issues. Hell, his first snowmobile (1979 Yamaha Exciter) is still on it's first top end and can pull the skis off the ground!
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
On The Pipe
Team: Factory Suzuki

Post by On The Pipe »

I'm honestly quite surprised at Yamaha's response. They have always been known for quality and reliability. However, any brand is going to have issues or recalls it's inevitable. Every brand should stand behind their products. Unfortunately in today's age companies will turn a blind eye until they are forced to do something.

The whole frame thing is disturbing what if someone got seriously injured after it breaks on a huge jump? The warranty should not matter. Is there a bulletin on the frames? Guessing they tell you to check frame periodically.

Clearly it is either a manufacturing, metal quality, or structural weakness (most likely manu). I've never welded aluminum, but it is a different animal than steel. Generally speaking the weld is stronger than the material at least for steel (explain the ktm frames then :/). There was no reason to switch to aluminum frames from steel. Except they are easier to make and cheaper much like the air forks they are pushing.

I remember reading about the 144sx when it first came out was quite the fiasco. At least KTM seems to be standing behind their newer issues.

Huge slap in the face by Yamaha "Yeah we fucked up the frames, but it's out of warranty so it's your problem now."
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

m121c wrote:Yamaha finally got back to me, what a waste of time.

They told me they can't do anything about it because the warranty on the bike expired 7 months ago (bought it 8 months ago). :roll:

Thanks Yamaha!
What a crock of shit. There has been so many issues regarding your same exact situation. Why don't they just offer a recall? From what I've read before, usually your dealership will get you sorted.
m121c

Post by m121c »

Alright an update.

So Yamaha denied the warranty claim, what my dealer didn't tell me was that they suggested we submit a claim to their "Warranty Forgiveness and Kindness" Department. I'm serious here, that is not a joke.

So my dealer resubmitted all the information to this department, and shockingly they approved it and now I am getting a new frame. The guy that denied my claim the first time in the warranty department, was the same guy who approved my frame in the warranty forgiveness department...

The official statement read that the replaced frame was a Goodwill gesture, and no way a defect nor warranty/manuf. fault.

Whatever BS they want to call it, I'm friggen pumped. Let's hope this one doesn't crack. :roll:
rideblue56
Team: FSK

Post by rideblue56 »

m121c wrote:Whatever BS they want to call it, I'm friggen pumped. Let's hope this one doesn't crack. :roll:
Seems like an odd situation. From most of the stories ive heard people never had any issues getting new frames.

But from what ive seen, new frames being shipped have double/triple welds in the areas that have been cracking.

Is the dealer doing the labor, or doing it yourself?
m121c

Post by m121c »

Let's hope so!

All labor is on me. I'd rather have it that way anyways, but the reason it's put upon me is because it's not technically a warranty issue, this is why they ran me through the other department, that way they don't have to pay the shop for the labor time.

Basically the shop is ordering me a frame and Yamaha will wave the fee. If it's any odd coincidence, Yamaha has less than 15 frames in the U.S. at this time, and 8 of them are in Cali (teams and privateers?) and 5 of them are in Georgia (training camps?).
rideblue56
Team: FSK

Post by rideblue56 »

Some people on vital have posted pictures of new vs. old frames. So i have seen pics of new frames being reinforced. If not, id suggest taking it to a machine shop and having it reinforced yourself before getting everything swapped over. Sure it'll cost more and its inconvenient, but its cheaper than having to buy another one. Cause i can bet they wont send another one for free. (unfortunately)

The fact that there are only 15 of them in the US doesnt mean much tbh. No retail store or dealer is just gonna buy a high price item like that for "in stock" for no reason, as it isn't a wear item, and rarely should even be replaced. So, its pretty much a ship from factory part.

I need to walk out and check mine now, luckily i have the means to repair it myself if Yami denies any issues, if i have any.
BeezyBreezy
Crushed Dissenter
Team: META Racing AU

Post by BeezyBreezy »

I race for Yamaha Australia
All this fuss going on I didn't read a whole lot of it, But it has been quite a common issue as of late with the "16 model YZF450's Their where not any 250f's with the same issue.

Their was a batch I think from December - January then from February 23rd- March 12th That their where another batch of bike frame issues once again. Cracking from even low pressure enduro riding, around the bottom of the head stem, Watched my coaches bike slowly get worse and worse over a weekend.

to cover the 250f issue, I've got 2 2015 Yzf's Built by Yamaha with Semi Spec Factory Motor's that tend to have a weak Water Pump Shaft and they seem to break at 15 hrs with max rpm of 13,800 Where the Genuine Water pump shaft only seems to last 2.5hrs at 14,800 Rpm

But my 16" Yamaha SuperMoto Bike is built straight to only last a weekend, and we've been running different water pumps to solve our issues.
The Boyseen Super cooler seems to be the only way around the issue as we just continue to keep breaking them.

Another thing with the Water Pump shafts breaking, The bike runs that Hot it will stop its kind of a good thing about them, the Staider is only good for a certain temperature before it shits it self so, it saves a little bit of risk from motor destruction and costing your self heaps of money.
Track Builder, Bike Skiner For Mx Sim and Others
If you would like to see more work from me, donatioans are always nice
Do Custom skins and Tracks for $$
https://www.paypal.me/TyraLynch
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

That might explain what happened to the Martin's bikes.

I don't really know how the whole manufacturing industry works, like if they have to produce more in certain years due to demand or if they always produce the same amount. But since the Yamaha's have been more popular the last few years I wonder if they have had to get them out at a faster rate than usual.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
cccccccc

Re: Own an old Yami? Take a Read

Post by cccccccc »

I got a 2007 250f, cracked along the headtube weld in 2011, I only replaced the fork seals and Orange juice once before that happened, couldn't afford stiffer springs either, But I heard Yamaha just upgraded their welder from a bic lighter to a 12 volt battery.
James_122
Team: Channel 4 News

Post by James_122 »

I've only had to replace the orange juice once in my bike.