Car Racing

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
Robert196

Car Racing

Post by Robert196 »

Well there's no car racing thread here other than virtual car racing so I made one. I can't be the only one who watches or races cars on here, can I?

I was at Road Atlanta this Monday and Tuesday for the Advanced School. Here's my gopro from the last session:

Turns out I ran the fastest lap by over a second. I was in the 1:41's and that's an average speed of 90mph (or about 145kmh). I'll probably be running the Skip Barber Racing Academy Shootout (formerly the IndyCar Academy) in February if everything goes to plan.

Other than the skippy, I have my own 1.6L Spec Miata that I've been running in HPDE's (high performance driving events) but haven't raced it since a requirement for the Skip Barber Academy is no racing experience.

Before I started getting my feet wet in car racing, I wasn't really eager to start. Once I raced my first autocross though, I was hooked. If you have the time and money, definitely get involved. I can answer any questions you may have. :D
| 2013 MotoOption Supercross 250 Eastside Champion | #turnbarcrew |
tyskorn
Team: Adept MX Graphics

Re: Car Racing

Post by tyskorn »

Robert196 wrote:I can answer any questions you may have. :D
Are you gay?
James_122
Team: Channel 4 News

Post by James_122 »

Would you rather have a pet platypus or a pet merman? Both have their advantages and if trained correctly, a merman could handle all your under water chores. But a platypus could also be a very good replacement for a house cat. Unless you went with both, which would honestly be the best. I'm sure a merman could learn to be quite gentle and would warm up to the platypuses company if you introduced them slowly. But you also have to be careful. Platypus has a large beak, and if you don't give he/she it's treats with an open palm, it could bite your fingers and I'm not totally caught up with platypus science, but they may carry diseases. But to be fair, your merman could be carrying diseases as well if you don't purchase him from a recommended breeder. I've heard of horror stories of some people buying mermen, only for them to be real men with duct taped legs. I guess you would just have to do your homework like any other home/pet owner.

I'd like to get your take on it.
NoFear345
Team: IG: @dryan345

Post by NoFear345 »

I'm weak James holy hell :lol: :lol: :lol:
Robert196

Post by Robert196 »

James_122 wrote:Would you rather have a pet platypus or a pet merman? Both have their advantages and if trained correctly, a merman could handle all your under water chores. But a platypus could also be a very good replacement for a house cat. Unless you went with both, which would honestly be the best. I'm sure a merman could learn to be quite gentle and would warm up to the platypuses company if you introduced them slowly. But you also have to be careful. Platypus has a large beak, and if you don't give he/she it's treats with an open palm, it could bite your fingers and I'm not totally caught up with platypus science, but they may carry diseases. But to be fair, your merman could be carrying diseases as well if you don't purchase him from a recommended breeder. I've heard of horror stories of some people buying mermen, only for them to be real men with duct taped legs. I guess you would just have to do your homework like any other home/pet owner.

That's a tough one. I'd have to go with the platypus, seems like much less of a risk. What were you thinking?
tyskorn wrote:
Are you gay?
Sorry, no I'm not.
James_122
Team: Channel 4 News

Post by James_122 »

Robert196 wrote:
James_122 wrote:Would you rather have a pet platypus or a pet merman? Both have their advantages and if trained correctly, a merman could handle all your under water chores. But a platypus could also be a very good replacement for a house cat. Unless you went with both, which would honestly be the best. I'm sure a merman could learn to be quite gentle and would warm up to the platypuses company if you introduced them slowly. But you also have to be careful. Platypus has a large beak, and if you don't give he/she it's treats with an open palm, it could bite your fingers and I'm not totally caught up with platypus science, but they may carry diseases. But to be fair, your merman could be carrying diseases as well if you don't purchase him from a recommended breeder. I've heard of horror stories of some people buying mermen, only for them to be real men with duct taped legs. I guess you would just have to do your homework like any other home/pet owner.

That's a tough one. I'd have to go with the platypus, seems like much less of a risk. What were you thinking?
tyskorn wrote:
Are you gay?
Sorry, no I'm not.
Neither. I have 7 cats and a hedgehog who doesn't do well with changes in his surroundings.
Phathry25
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by Phathry25 »

Wish I had Robert's money. :cry:

yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

Robert196 wrote:money
Can I enter my hand-me-down 2001 mini-van? It's got an FMF sticker on it so I'm sure it'll do a quarter mile in at least 25 seconds.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
Ddavis

Post by Ddavis »

I used to race Quarter Midgets. I qualified 1st a lot, but if you qualified on the pole you started at the tail end of the pack in the main event (try telling an 8 year old to purposely qualify slow :lol: ) so I ended up coming through the pack a lot. Good fucking times, it's a huge bummer that they tore down my local track in Pomona and turned it into a parking lot.

Checkered flag after winning the main event

Hate if you want, but these are some of the coolest memories of my life and it was awesome to race for so many years. I traveled to state line every year to race at Buffalo Bills, and I'd go to Madera and San Jose for the bigger events. Also, if anyone into racing knows about "Turkey Night", I won that in my class one year. Definitely a cool race to win! Afterwards we'd go to Irwindale Raceway and watch Tony Stewart and others race TQ midgets 8)

My biggest competition had to be Ryan Bernal, who's continued to race cars competitively
http://www.ryanbernalmotorsports.com/schedule/

Looking back I wouldn't doubt if I raced with some people are eventually made it to the NASCAR level, but I was so young I don't really remember their names.
rewrew421
Team: Privateer

Post by rewrew421 »

This count as car racing? We call them cars lol.

D.Eckels #421 "The O-G"
Fro77
Team: TBR

Post by Fro77 »

Ddavis wrote: Looking back I wouldn't doubt if I raced with some people are eventually made it to the NASCAR level, but I was so young I don't really remember their names.
If you had Tickle's money would you be racing NASCAR right now?
Ddavis wrote:You paid your $5 to do this shitty event so deal with it, everyone who wants their money back for whatever fucking reason, go get a job you poor bastard.
James_122 wrote:If you really want to know if Jesus is real, just ask Havoc They went to college together.
Ddavis

Post by Ddavis »

Fro77 wrote:
Ddavis wrote: Looking back I wouldn't doubt if I raced with some people are eventually made it to the NASCAR level, but I was so young I don't really remember their names.
If you had Tickle's money would you be racing NASCAR right now?
Obviously
scheeve3

Post by scheeve3 »

Robert196 wrote: If you have the time and money, definitely get involved.
Can you define money?

I've loved racing since I was little but it's only a few weeks ago on the age of 23 I even did my first indoor karting session, went well except I am in the worst physical shape a normal human being can be in :lol: .

And I've been thinking to take some racing lessons which are quite cheap, with my own car (suzuki swift 1,2L 5 doors). So it's not an impressive car, but an awesome chassis for turns :D.
But if I like it I might wanna buy an old BMW or something cheaper, lighter, less powerful to go racing on tracks on a regular base. But how much money would that cost? To rebuild the car to a safe piece of machinery, so strip it from all the unnecessary, put decent seats and a rollcage in ..?
Other updates as brakes, suspension ... might follow later and easy to track down and know the cost for.
Frederik Van Eeckhoven - UID 326
1st Team @ MXSON 2009 & 2nd individual (125cc)
2012 DRT-Sandseries winner (MX1)
2012 DRT-spring SX series winner (OPEN)
2012 BMF-Friday night series winner (MX1)
Robert196

Post by Robert196 »

scheeve3 wrote:
Robert196 wrote: If you have the time and money, definitely get involved.
Can you define money?

I've loved racing since I was little but it's only a few weeks ago on the age of 23 I even did my first indoor karting session, went well except I am in the worst physical shape a normal human being can be in :lol: .

And I've been thinking to take some racing lessons which are quite cheap, with my own car (suzuki swift 1,2L 5 doors). So it's not an impressive car, but an awesome chassis for turns :D.
But if I like it I might wanna buy an old BMW or something cheaper, lighter, less powerful to go racing on tracks on a regular base. But how much money would that cost? To rebuild the car to a safe piece of machinery, so strip it from all the unnecessary, put decent seats and a rollcage in ..?
Other updates as brakes, suspension ... might follow later and easy to track down and know the cost for.
I would search online for how much cars with a roll cage and seats an all that go for in your area. Around here, a 1991 1.6L Spec Miata can be found for around $8k, so about as much as a new bike. BMW's will cost more i suspect, but you can build the car up over time to span the costs over a period of time.
Phathry25
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by Phathry25 »

We spent around $3k to get our car ready for Lemons. The car was free.