2017 Supercross Discussion

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
m121c

Re: 2017 Supercross Discussion

Post by m121c »

The points system doesn't need changed because your favorite rider isn't able to mentally tough for 17 rounds. We shouldn't reward those who can't and penalize those who can. Dungey is the can, Tomac is the can't. Sure was Tomac faster? A lot of the rounds yes. Was he able to maintain that raged edge everyone round? No, it bit him. It's the chance he takes. Dungey's consistent fast is faster there everyone else's, and that's what makes a champion.

The chase format is bogus. It's flawed. What if you dominate all the way up to the reset, and then get completely cleaned on the start, bike mechanical dnf, and now you don't have enough races to make up the points? Makes it even more boring then.

I did see someone mention a throw away, which might make things interesting a little but still value consistency. Maybe points for heats? Monster cup style 3 mains? Not bad ideas, but man is the chase format just terrible bullshit.
SMR 510RR
Team: Privateer

Post by SMR 510RR »

m121c wrote:The points system doesn't need changed because your favorite rider isn't able to mentally tough for 17 rounds. We shouldn't reward those who can't and penalize those who can. Dungey is the can, Tomac is the can't. Sure was Tomac faster? A lot of the rounds yes. Was he able to maintain that raged edge everyone round? No, it bit him. It's the chance he takes. Dungey's consistent fast is faster there everyone else's, and that's what makes a champion.

The chase format is bogus. It's flawed. What if you dominate all the way up to the reset, and then get completely cleaned on the start, bike mechanical dnf, and now you don't have enough races to make up the points? Makes it even more boring then.

I did see someone mention a throw away, which might make things interesting a little but still value consistency. Maybe points for heats? Monster cup style 3 mains? Not bad ideas, but man is the chase format just terrible bullshit.
I agree. I do think a throwaway would be nice and 100% agree with points for heats for top 5 or something. Not so much on the Monster Cup format, that seems better as a one off event IMO.

It's hard to see someone who has won 9 races now get beat by someone who won 3. There needs to be more reward for winning, maybe the points just need to be adjusted to have a bigger gap between 1-3 or something? IDK.
Ddavis

Post by Ddavis »

m121c wrote:The points system doesn't need changed because your favorite rider isn't able to mentally tough for 17 rounds. We shouldn't reward those who can't and penalize those who can. Dungey is the can, Tomac is the can't. Sure was Tomac faster? A lot of the rounds yes. Was he able to maintain that raged edge everyone round? No, it bit him. It's the chance he takes. Dungey's consistent fast is faster there everyone else's, and that's what makes a champion.

Couldn't agree more Mason!
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

The original reason for any change to point systems was an "anti-dynasty" move after years of watching Penske own the podium in Indycars and Hendrick and the Rainbow Warriors in NASCAR etc. What if someone works within the rules and finds an engineering breakthrough nobody else thought of?(Braun Honda) Of course we all hate to see a runaway season, but what about those that worked so hard to get themselves so dominant that way? It sucks either way and it's hard to get all onboard and/or happy. We all thought this would be the Roczen show, but here we are biting our nails down to Vegas(kinda). I hope they don't do anything rash and "chase" away fans that are sorely needed in this sport.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
Ddavis

Post by Ddavis »

Everyone is acting like Dungey needs to finish 15th or better to win the title, he needs to finish 4th or better if Tomac wins. It's still very possible for Tomac to win this, but he's going to need something to happen to Ryan. Ryan isn't going to finish 5th or worse by "doing what he does".
TeamHavocRacing

Tib Fib 1st turn Senna style to end the season. Although in that scenario Prost just got out of the car and walked away. I just learned that Senna admitted he purposely took out Prost in the first turn of the last race of the 1990 F1 season in order to mathematically guarantee his crown.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
SMR 510RR

Post by SMR 510RR »

Wow! Anyone watching this?
AHeckman2
Team: Heckman Productions

Post by AHeckman2 »

Osborne deserves that title, Savatgy needed to stop being conservative.
AHeckman2

Post by AHeckman2 »

DP but why are they questioning if it was too aggressive? Its for the title! And Zach didn't even fall...
SMR 510RR

Post by SMR 510RR »

All season they have been saying "if it was the final round it would be different" and now at the final round 2 turns from the finish they say maybe it was too agressive? Savatgy seemed like he was out for a Sunday ride, I don't think he knew Osborne was that close. He could have checked and turned down hard and probably still won but I think he went into auto pilot and didn't realize what was about to happen.
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

What a season this has been and what a race this was! So happy for both Dungey and Osborne.
TeamHavocRacing

Grats to both Dungey and Osborne on really hard fought championships!
AHeckman2

Post by AHeckman2 »

Tomac should've cleaned him lol, oh well, outdoors here we come. Dungey's consistency wins him another title :lol:
Dunivant25

Post by Dunivant25 »

Tomac deserved it, I'm out.
JConley691
Team: CG Motorsports

Post by JConley691 »

That 250 championship was the craziest race I've seen in a long time... maybe even ever!! Osborne get obliterated in turn one. Savatgy and Smith take over the better spots. Savatgy washes the front end. Smith takes the lead then cross-ruts off the track, only to get back on one spot ahead of Savatgy. Smith tries to do a handstand at 60 mph exiting the thunder alley jump and takes himself out. AC is out front and killing everybody, turning his 14-point deficit into JUST ONE!! Then out of NOWHERE Osborne goes from last to SEVENTH TAKING OUT SAVATGY IN THE FINAL MOMENTS OF THE RACE TO WIN HIS FIRST CHAMPIONSHIP... good fucking grief.

Drama for days in the 450 class as well... oh so close for Eli. Had he done a bit better last week this race REALLY woulda been something. Onto the outdoors! :D