Turtles all the way down!

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Turtles all the way down!

Post by jlv »

Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
VUSTTOS
Team: Spanish MX Gamers

Re: Turtles all the way down!

Post by VUSTTOS »

Mx Simulator 2 ?
Alex V111#1017
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

What kind of trippy shit is this?
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
mxsrider96
Team: PoGo

Post by mxsrider96 »

Pumaxcs wrote:What kind of trippy shit is this?
You didn't see VUSTTOS post? It's MX Simulator 2
WAR CRY <3
Sun Burn
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

I understood the first part of the article, after that it got crazy :lol: http://www.instructables.com/id/OTCA-Me ... e-of-Life/
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
MXONLINE_GEICO

Post by MXONLINE_GEICO »

i watched a video about it a couple years ago but it s far away from my type of knowledge

jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Those links make it sound more complicated than it is. Conway's Life is just about the simplest program you can write that does something interesting. The rules are simple:

The game takes place on a 2d grid of cells.
Any cell that's alive will die from loneliness if it has less than 2 neighbors, or die from overcrowding if it has more than 3 neighbors.
Any cell that's dead will come to life if it has 3 neighbors.

That's it. It's so simple it makes a good exercise for beginning programmers. It was a popular thing to fool with on computers from the 80's for the same reason. You can play it online here. Click "evolve" to run it. I'd recommend setting "delay" to 100ms so things aren't such a blur.

If you play with it for a while, you'll pretty quickly create a "glider" by accident:

It's unlikely you'd make anything more advanced than a glider by accident though. But much more is possible. Here's a "glider gun", which I believe is the first "complicated" thing that was discovered:

It turns out with the right combination of cells you can actually create a turing complete computer in Life. The video shows a Life computer that plays Life. I knew that Life computers were possible but I had never seen one in action before. It's a great example of something of how powerful simple rules can be.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

Life was one of the first programs originally created back in the '60's at MIT's AI lab.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
TeamHavocRacing

I was wrong again....MIT's Bill Gosper was an AI lab hacker who worked on a version of it there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway%27s_Game_of_Life
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Gosper came up with the glider gun. Conway didn't think it was possible. From the Wikipedia article:
  • Conway originally conjectured that no pattern can grow indefinitely—i.e., that for any initial configuration with a finite number of living cells, the population cannot grow beyond some finite upper limit. In the game's original appearance in "Mathematical Games", Conway offered a $50 prize to the first person who could prove or disprove the conjecture before the end of 1970. The prize was won in November of the same year by a team from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, led by Bill Gosper; the "Gosper glider gun" produces its first glider on the 15th generation, and another glider every 30th generation from then on. For many years this glider gun was the smallest one known.[19] In 2015 a period-120 gun was discovered that has fewer live cells but a larger bounding box.
Here's another video. I don't know how people come up with this stuff!

Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
TeamHavocRacing

I can't believe some of the "machines" they come up with! "Hackers" tells about this. I can't plug this book enough, I've read it once and Audibled it twice lol. Do the free trial of Audible and you can listen to it. http://www.audible.com/pd/History/Hacke ... B017RUZC4E
MATTMX42
Team: LCQ Studios

Post by MATTMX42 »

jlv wrote:
are u telling us to eat shrooms/lsd and watch this???? i feel like ur hinting to it!!! lol PS results may very expect one fucked up trip.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

No, I'm way too nerdy for any of that. If you mean the turtles all the way down title, it's a reference to a physics joke:
  • A well-known scientist (some say it was Bertrand Russell) once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the center of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy. At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: "What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise." The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, "What is the tortoise standing on?" "You're very clever, young man, very clever," said the old lady. "But it's turtles all the way down!"
Since the video is Life running in a computer made in Life, I thought it fit.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
TeamHavocRacing

MATTMX42 wrote:
jlv wrote:youtube
are u telling us to eat shrooms/lsd and watch this???? i feel like ur hinting to it!!! lol PS results may very expect one fucked up trip.
Some people are actually capable of enjoying life and all of it's beauty without seeing it through dilated or reddened eyes.

Let me know if you ever meet one.