2017 MXGP Series thread

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
scheeve3

Re: 2017 MXGP Series thread

Post by scheeve3 »

Not sure on the why, but a lot of great sources confirmed it. Team owners of other teams confirmed that Suzuki mechanics and employees are looking for a new job, that they received an e-mail last month with the news ...

Rumours on the why is that they want to invest in the MotoGP because their dirt bike sales are too low to run a factory team. Also they'll keep producing so now it cost them nearly no money and yet ppl will still buy Suzuki's until they're completely out dated. But couldn't find anyone yet who could confirm me the why.
Frederik Van Eeckhoven - UID 326
1st Team @ MXSON 2009 & 2nd individual (125cc)
2012 DRT-Sandseries winner (MX1)
2012 DRT-spring SX series winner (OPEN)
2012 BMF-Friday night series winner (MX1)
mack| spokes
Team: Onlyfansracing

Post by mack| spokes »

scheeve3 wrote:Not sure on the why, but a lot of great sources confirmed it. Team owners of other teams confirmed that Suzuki mechanics and employees are looking for a new job, that they received an e-mail last month with the news ...

Rumours on the why is that they want to invest in the MotoGP because their dirt bike sales are too low to run a factory team. Also they'll keep producing so now it cost them nearly no money and yet ppl will still buy Suzuki's until they're completely out dated. But couldn't find anyone yet who could confirm me the why.
I had a look at a vital mx forum, it isnt money that is the problem they profit 1.4 billion a year and ktm only makes 70 million, suzuki make cars too so money isnt a problem, the forum talked alot about winning on sunday and buy on a monday something that was popular during reed/carmichael and dungey people arent looking at doing that anymore so suzuki dont see a point in running multi million dollar efforts for next to no return, another thing was the cost to race gp's is insane, imagine running a truck for 29 races a year (excluding monster cup etc) and travelling all over america that cost would be a huge amount every year now imagine that but accross 19 countries (correct me if im wrong) that would have to be over a million a year easily.
jlv wrote: Either way, for a suicidal rampage it was pretty good.
MXSEMF
scheeve3

Post by scheeve3 »

Don't forget that Suzuki is divided in 3 different companies. Automotive, motorbikes & marine.
So no matter how much money Suzuki automotive makes, that's not going to either motorbikes or marine or vica versa.
Also these are the automotive vs motorbike numbers. That does not make a brand happy. If you nearly sell half of the bikes as you used to do in just 5 years time, that's never a good sign.

Also on the second image you see where most of their bikes are sold, for a brand that doesn't make mopeds they sell a shitload in Asia.

I wouldn't agree on the theory that winning on sunday = selling on monday doesn't work anymore. Maybe not as much as it used to be because ppl understand more and more that GP and AMA bikes are far off production bikes and there's a shitload on information and facts to be found on the internet these days.
But on the other hand, the GP's and the AMA's are the 2 big championships of the world and if you're not participating in any of these ... Then you're nowhere to be seen. Unless a local dealer steps up, but also they do not have enough funds to carry an entire brand.

And correct, MXGP factory teams run budgets of around 5 million euro's. Of which ~65% of it is for parts only. That's why so many satellite teams are happy with "just" parts support. But that budget wouldn't be much of a different in the US I think. Shipping 400kg of goods in containers as the GP guys do through air freight to Qatar is less expensive than hauling a truck from California to Toronto. (based on EU fuel rates). + Youthstream does their job well with logistical deals and giving teams per rider 150kg for free.

If I was Suzuki I would get an AMA factory team rolling in both 250 as 450. Investing in 2-strokes is something they don't wanna do as every engine they produce is 4 stroke based. Would only be useful in mx... thus not cost on effort profitable. So leave that open, enough 250 and 450 riders in the world.
And besides running that factory team in the US I would also support the local dealers. For example in Belgium you have an amateur federation called the MCLB. Every weekend they have ~450 riders on the gate. With a local dealer who gets a budget in return for making his KPI's to support local riders and get some advertising going is more effective than running another 5 mil operation imo. I wouldn't do MXGP's as it's nowhere on tv and mx fans usually watch the AMA's as well besides the GP's... And if it's nowhere on tv you won't reach ppl from outside the sport who might want to buy one of your streetbikes.

And to close it down, another interesting fact/quote from Suzuki's annual report:
Feedback of MotoGP technologies...
Frederik Van Eeckhoven - UID 326
1st Team @ MXSON 2009 & 2nd individual (125cc)
2012 DRT-Sandseries winner (MX1)
2012 DRT-spring SX series winner (OPEN)
2012 BMF-Friday night series winner (MX1)