Help me buy the right bike

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
m121c
Posts: 2802
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:36 am
Location: Iowa

Re: Help me buy the right bike

Postby m121c » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:14 am

motokid499 wrote:
m121c wrote:If you are looking for a 125, you can probably find a brand new left over 2014+ of a KTM (150 maybe even) or Yami a just a little above your price range. A 2.5k - $3k down payment on a $5.5k loan is literally nothing for a payment. The upside, you get a brand new bike and no past headache, the downside is a monthly payment.

My local dealership just sold a 2016 yz125 for less than $5,500. I was shopping for a 250 2 smoke a few months ago and found brand new ones around the same price tag, some even as low as $5,400 and only a year old (brand new).

I had a 2007 SX144 and by far one of the best bikes I've ever owned. The thing was a fire breathing dragon, however it was to fast for it's own good and we went through cylinders like it was going out of style which led me to jump to the 250f.


I'm really not a fan of monthly payments, I should actually be buying a car right now but i mean priorities because mx is life. There are actually two 2008 144sx's in my area that look pretty mint for a solid price, but your comment kind of scares me. Would you say it goes through cylinders quicker than a 125sx? i would of thought the larger the engine the longer the top end would last. Thats an assumption based off the fact that 250 2 strokes generally last way longer than 125's. Am I off here or?

Thanks for all the input guys


Man that's rare to find them in good condition! I've been looking for my old bike for ages... I would buy it back right now if I could if that tells you anything. The first year my bike was solid, however the 07's were their "project" year and they were known for the rings to snag the exhaust port and jam the piston in the cylinder. That is what happened to mine and it completely self destructed the thing, fixed it, and from there my issues started to arise. I was already eyeing up a rmz250 and my 125 days were coming to an end so it made sense to get rid of it. I miss that bike though. :cry:

User avatar
Cummings55
Posts: 489
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:24 pm
Team: Evolution Design

Re: Help me buy the right bike

Postby Cummings55 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 am

My opinion may be a little biased since all I have ever rode is a Yamaha, but my dad and I have 2 YZ125's and we absolutely love them. We were lucky enough to stumble across to barely ridden bikes. Mine was an 05, a kid had purchased it and rode it a few times and realized the sport wasn't for him. My dad found an 06 and the paint wasn't even worn off the clutch cover yet. Dad actually sold his 250f for the 125. We haven't had any troubles with them, but dad is sort of a freak when it comes to cleaning and maintenance lol.
Image

User avatar
Jules
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:56 am
Team: TJFLEX
Contact:

Re: Help me buy the right bike

Postby Jules » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:16 am

ryxn wrote:Only thing I'd be wary about if going for an RM is the gearbox, they are a bit of nightmare at times, and are known for not being too good.

For sure the gearbox, the 2nd gear is a nightmare.. I would go for a yz if it's possible.
Image

User avatar
Boblob801
Posts: 3902
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:59 am
Team: Backflips Clothing
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Help me buy the right bike

Postby Boblob801 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:20 am

I have a 2008 yz 144 and a 2008 rm144 and personally I like the RM better. Power wise, the yz has a lot more balls in the low to mid range (Especially mid) but the rm handles, turns and just rides so much nicer.

As for the gearbox thing, it is said that RM's have bad ones and in the past I have munched 2nd gear in a 125 (to be fair it had been fucked then repaired) But currently the Rm gearbox feels better than the yz. My yz, along with a couple friends, seem to have an issue getting into neutral.

I haven't rode a KTM but I did ride a husky and the power and weight feeling of that bike was really nice, more low down power than the yz but the ergos felt weird. (As if the rear of the bike was squatting constantly.)
Hi

User avatar
motokid499
Posts: 1285
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:25 am
Team: Versus-PC.com
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Help me buy the right bike

Postby motokid499 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:41 pm

Im pretty much choosing between a 2008 ktm 125sx, or a 2006 yamaha yz125, both the same price. They are both asking a little bit more than they should be, but they are both in amazing condition. Or I could pick up a 2006 suzuki rm125 for like 700 bucks less, then i can put 700 into the rm. But its not looking like a very clean bike and its been listed forever meaning people have seen it and not picked it up, but if i have 700$ left under budget to spend on it.... Idk.
Tanner Rogers

User avatar
Boblob801
Posts: 3902
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:59 am
Team: Backflips Clothing
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Help me buy the right bike

Postby Boblob801 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:17 pm

Bikes are one those things where they look tidy until you take the head off and see the pitting in the head or take the clutch cover off and see the notching in the basket. Don't buy a bike just because the plastics look new.
Hi

User avatar
motokid499
Posts: 1285
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:25 am
Team: Versus-PC.com
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Help me buy the right bike

Postby motokid499 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:37 am

Boblob801 wrote:Bikes are one those things where they look tidy until you take the head off and see the pitting in the head or take the clutch cover off and see the notching in the basket. Don't buy a bike just because the plastics look new.


by very clean I mean its claimed that the bikes have fresh rebuilds
Tanner Rogers

User avatar
Boblob801
Posts: 3902
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:59 am
Team: Backflips Clothing
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Help me buy the right bike

Postby Boblob801 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:13 pm

Idk about where you live, but 9/10 a fresh rebuild is $150 piston and gasket kit and an hours worth of work. (Something I do to second hand bikes I buy, Plus an oil change) It's really not a huge thing. Clutches, breaks, gearbox, bearings are all things that no one seems to worry about.
Hi

User avatar
motokid499
Posts: 1285
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:25 am
Team: Versus-PC.com
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Help me buy the right bike

Postby motokid499 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:43 pm

Boblob801 wrote:Idk about where you live, but 9/10 a fresh rebuild is $150 piston and gasket kit and an hours worth of work. (Something I do to second hand bikes I buy, Plus an oil change) It's really not a huge thing. Clutches, breaks, gearbox, bearings are all things that no one seems to worry about.


going to look at an rm125 today but he said he had to replace the 1st and 4th gear. I really dont want to deal with gearbox issues and every rm125 owner seems to have gearbox issues.
Tanner Rogers

User avatar
motokid499
Posts: 1285
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:25 am
Team: Versus-PC.com
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Help me buy the right bike

Postby motokid499 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:45 pm

and yeah a fresh gearbox would feel better, the suzuki's have soft gearbox's they feel great when new and then munch themselves. How long have you owned your rm144 and was that the first time you had gearbox problems? Did you fix it with oem parts or aftermarket?
Tanner Rogers

User avatar
Boblob801
Posts: 3902
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:59 am
Team: Backflips Clothing
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Help me buy the right bike

Postby Boblob801 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:04 am

What I meant was I had an rm125 before the rm144. I had it for a day and the 2nd gear went poop, the guy before me had "repaired it".
Hi

User avatar
motokid499
Posts: 1285
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:25 am
Team: Versus-PC.com
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Help me buy the right bike

Postby motokid499 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:07 pm

Ended up getting a 2006 yz250. Love the bike, thanks for all the help guys.
Tanner Rogers


Return to “Off Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 18 guests