Help me buy the right bike

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
User avatar
motokid499
Posts: 1258
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:25 am
Team: Versus-PC.com
Location: Canada
Contact:

Help me buy the right bike

Postby motokid499 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:21 am

Hey guys! I'm on the market for a *new* used bike, and I could use a couple other brains in the process. Simple things like what years to avoid, what years are good, etc. Looking to pick up either a 125 or a 144/150sx.

I've only got about $3000 (US) to spend, so im on a budget for sure.

Any specific bikes/years I should avoid?

Thanks in advance guys
Tanner Rogers

User avatar
DonaldH
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:01 am
Team: Ginger Snap Racing
Location: CA, USA

Re: Help me buy the right bike

Postby DonaldH » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:14 am

If your going 125. Yamaha 03 and up are pretty much rock solid 05 and up if you want aluminum frame. If you go 06 and up you get the KYB sss forks which are what every other brand is chasing. Should be able to grab a clean one pretty easy within your price range.

144-150sx I'd say 07+ Each year newer gets better as has been the general trend with ktm.

Also if your into Suzuki a RM125 01 and up these you can pick up for a steal love to turn. You ca pretty much grab one for 1000-1500 fairly solid and use the rest of your budget to make it fit you.

I personally have never ridden a Kx of any cc above 65. Honda makes solid bikes but I don't jive with the ergos personally. Hope all that helped a bit. I personally would go YZ or RM if it was me
#155 Privateer AM

User avatar
checkerz
Posts: 7358
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:23 am
Team: RaGe Factory

Re: Help me buy the right bike

Postby checkerz » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:26 pm

motokid499 wrote:Hey guys! I'm on the market for a *new* used bike, and I could use a couple other brains in the process. Simple things like what years to avoid, what years are good, etc. Looking to pick up either a 125 or a 144/150sx.

I've only got about $3000 (US) to spend, so im on a budget for sure.

Any specific bikes/years I should avoid?

Thanks in advance guys


Jay's Kawi or KTM are both in your budget, but if you have a low performing PC it might be a bit too much to handle.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In all seriousness, it's tough to go wrong with an 06-current YZ125 unless you can find a 150 for equal value or just a touch more.

User avatar
Versus-PC_Official
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:58 pm
Team: VersusPC.com
Contact:

Re: Help me buy the right bike

Postby Versus-PC_Official » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:47 pm

Ive got a few rm's in my area but ive heard they are a little bit scary at high speeds. Im coming from a 2003 ktm 125 so headshake is a nightmare and i have no confidence on the bike. A priority would be a bike that straight tracks really well.

I love the yamaha's, the only problem is all the yz125's are super overpriced in my area. Some guy wants 2900 for a 2006 lol.

Ktms seem to be super plentiful and seem like most are good deals but all the ktm's stay posted forever, nobody wants them i guess?

What bike would be the most stable and least likely to give me headshake? Or is anything pretty much 10x better than a 2003 ktm?
Image

User avatar
motokid499
Posts: 1258
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:25 am
Team: Versus-PC.com
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Help me buy the right bike

Postby motokid499 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:49 pm

Rip wrong account. And nah chex im good with jre's model haha
Tanner Rogers

User avatar
checkerz
Posts: 7358
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:23 am
Team: RaGe Factory

Re: Help me buy the right bike

Postby checkerz » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:17 pm

Tanner on the wrong accountl wrote:
What bike would be the most stable and least likely to give me headshake? Or is anything pretty much 10x better than a 2003 ktm?


A bike that is setup for you. Proper rate springs and setting sag go a long way. Until 2015, the KTM chassis was known for headshake, but any bike not setup will be as bad or worse. It doesn't take much to handle better than a 2003 KTM.

I don't know a ton about the RM's, but this one definitely looks sexy.
http://www.dirtrider.com/2006-suzuki-rm125-project-bike-review#page-3

User avatar
ryxn
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:42 pm

Re: Help me buy the right bike

Postby ryxn » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:34 pm

Only thing I'd be wary about if going for an RM is the gearbox, they are a bit of nightmare at times, and are known for not being too good.
Image

User avatar
motokid499
Posts: 1258
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:25 am
Team: Versus-PC.com
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Help me buy the right bike

Postby motokid499 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:26 pm

Im probably going to look at a few rm's. They are priced so much better in my area. And yeah dont worry i get all my stuff done by a race tech shop :P
Tanner Rogers

User avatar
motokid499
Posts: 1258
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:25 am
Team: Versus-PC.com
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Help me buy the right bike

Postby motokid499 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:29 pm

ryxn wrote:Only thing I'd be wary about if going for an RM is the gearbox, they are a bit of nightmare at times, and are known for not being too good.


A yamaha is such a safe route i never hear things go wrong with a yz125 . they are just so much more money for the same year/condition. Im not sure if i can justify it
Tanner Rogers

User avatar
Andy_Hack
Posts: 2112
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:47 am
Team: SplitFire
Location: Germany/Bavaria
Contact:

Re: Help me buy the right bike

Postby Andy_Hack » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:00 pm

Don't get a 144(150), the 125 is much better. KTM screwed up the engine by giving it also a longer stroke than a 125. A 125 with a larger piston (bore) is a lot better. The gears fit the 125 powercurve a lot better, the 150 has just a whole different engine character, which doesn't really fit a 125 gearbox in my opinion.

But honestly, a 2006-or newer YZ 125 is like the best bike you can get (The 2005 was the first year with aluminium frame, but had shitty Showa suspension).
Image
Proud inventor of brake cleaner spray on the desk, to prevent greasy fingers.

On The Pipe
Posts: 1266
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:51 am
Team: Factory Suzuki

Re: Help me buy the right bike

Postby On The Pipe » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:24 pm

Most important part in looking for a used 125 is one that is in good mechanical condition. I would avoid CR125's like the plague overpriced and the slowest production 125 motor. RM and YZ are great bikes I would give the nod to the YZ because there is still a large aftermarket base for the bike and cheaper OEM parts. RM's don't have the best clutch baskets or fasteners(seem to be soft). OEM parts can be a little pricey for the RM since they are no longer made (Wouldn't hurt to compare them to the YZ). Can't say I have had any issues with my RM personally doesn't mean they do not have soft gears, but I've heard the same on the YZ's losing gears also.

No experience with KX or KTM.

m121c
Posts: 2801
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:36 am
Location: Iowa

Re: Help me buy the right bike

Postby m121c » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:16 am

If you are looking for a 125, you can probably find a brand new left over 2014+ of a KTM (150 maybe even) or Yami a just a little above your price range. A 2.5k - $3k down payment on a $5.5k loan is literally nothing for a payment. The upside, you get a brand new bike and no past headache, the downside is a monthly payment.

My local dealership just sold a 2016 yz125 for less than $5,500. I was shopping for a 250 2 smoke a few months ago and found brand new ones around the same price tag, some even as low as $5,400 and only a year old (brand new).

I had a 2007 SX144 and by far one of the best bikes I've ever owned. The thing was a fire breathing dragon, however it was to fast for it's own good and we went through cylinders like it was going out of style which led me to jump to the 250f.

User avatar
motokid499
Posts: 1258
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:25 am
Team: Versus-PC.com
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Help me buy the right bike

Postby motokid499 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:04 am

m121c wrote:If you are looking for a 125, you can probably find a brand new left over 2014+ of a KTM (150 maybe even) or Yami a just a little above your price range. A 2.5k - $3k down payment on a $5.5k loan is literally nothing for a payment. The upside, you get a brand new bike and no past headache, the downside is a monthly payment.

My local dealership just sold a 2016 yz125 for less than $5,500. I was shopping for a 250 2 smoke a few months ago and found brand new ones around the same price tag, some even as low as $5,400 and only a year old (brand new).

I had a 2007 SX144 and by far one of the best bikes I've ever owned. The thing was a fire breathing dragon, however it was to fast for it's own good and we went through cylinders like it was going out of style which led me to jump to the 250f.


I'm really not a fan of monthly payments, I should actually be buying a car right now but i mean priorities because mx is life. There are actually two 2008 144sx's in my area that look pretty mint for a solid price, but your comment kind of scares me. Would you say it goes through cylinders quicker than a 125sx? i would of thought the larger the engine the longer the top end would last. Thats an assumption based off the fact that 250 2 strokes generally last way longer than 125's. Am I off here or?

Thanks for all the input guys
Tanner Rogers

User avatar
KTM57
Posts: 13284
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:42 am
Team: Adept
Location: TX

Re: Help me buy the right bike

Postby KTM57 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:13 am

2008 125SX, one crank after a couple hundred hours. 2008 144SX, two cranks, a KTM recall and 09 bottom end, then another crank. Take it with a grain of salt, because I could have had a Friday afternoon 144.

If you find a cheap 125 or 150, you can get motor parts from an 03 or 04 200SX and build one of those because the 3 motors all sort of fit into each other.
Image

User avatar
motokid499
Posts: 1258
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:25 am
Team: Versus-PC.com
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Help me buy the right bike

Postby motokid499 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:39 am

KTM57 wrote:2008 125SX, one crank after a couple hundred hours. 2008 144SX, two cranks, a KTM recall and 09 bottom end, then another crank. Take it with a grain of salt, because I could have had a Friday afternoon 144.

If you find a cheap 125 or 150, you can get motor parts from an 03 or 04 200SX and build one of those because the 3 motors all sort of fit into each other.


theres a 2009 144sx but its 800$ more, worth?
Tanner Rogers


Return to “Off Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests