2017 Outdoor Discussion

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
Hi Im Skyqe
Team: wat

Re: 2017 Outdoor Discussion

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

The top 3 all threw it away at one point this season. When Roczen is back it will be the regular scheduled snooze fest again.
Matias43_

Post by Matias43_ »

TH_722 wrote:I just think it's ironic that Tomac the guys who lost a supercross title from crashes and mechanics, won the outdoor title from another rider having crashes and mechanicals.
tomac crashed many times and also had mechanicals. those things dont even matter at the end of the season, everyone had the same problems
On The Pipe
Team: Factory Suzuki

Post by On The Pipe »

I'm not a huge Herlings fan (MX2 sand bagging and such), but I have to give him some respect for coming over and racing in the US going 1-1 in the big boy class. I felt he should have moved up from the MX2 class a long time ago to get used to the 450 bike. It seems most riders usually spend a year getting used to the 450. I wish Roczen and Dungey were still racing so we could see how much faster he might be. Right now it seems the 450 class in the US is really weak at the top compared to Europe. I like watching Roczen and most of the Europeans ride because they are so smooth on the track. In the US it seems to be more of a grip it and rip it mentality.
Ddavis

Post by Ddavis »

There's a reason why Herlings has thrown away multiple titles. Yes he's fast, probably the fastest rider in the world at times, but at the same time Tomac was milking a championship, Musquin was probably a bit deflated after giving away so many points to ET after he gained so much, and Baggett has had a lingering thumb injury. I wouldn't expect anyone else on the gate to challenge Herlings, and Herlings was trying to prove a point. I'm not taking away from his victory, that's the last thing I'm trying to do, but those factors contributed to his ride. Was he going to do this at Hangtown with everyone healthy with 0 points across the board? I'd bet the house it wouldn't happen.
Ddavis

Post by Ddavis »

I guess the original point I was making about throwing away the titles is that he doesn't know when to back it down, even when he had goliath sized points leads in the MX2 championship. He still threw it away (no not Tomac throw it away like washing out in a berm, throwing it away by shattering his femur).
On The Pipe
Team: Factory Suzuki

Post by On The Pipe »

As you look back in the history of MX you see two types of riders fast/consistent and checkers/wreckers. Even though I am not a Dungey fan he was one of the most consistent riders in history. Regardless of how stacked or not the field was his statistics are down right impressive. If Villopoto was not racing he would be at the top of the list in titles and wins no doubt. Stewart, Bradshaw, Tomac, Herlings are examples of very fast riders almost unbeatable when they are on. When they were off they either could not keep pace or pushed too hard and crashed. I would have to say watching a Stewart on an unbeatable night like Toronto 2014 is amazing. They say you win you championships on your worst days and that is entirely true look at how many points Dungey has salvaged on bad races.

I feel like more riders need to think like Dungey does. He always is thinking about the big picture and end game most riders are just looking at being on the podium. Obviously you cannot control mechanicals so you can do everything right and still lose the c-ship. One thing that Dungey was crazy at was putting the pressure on the leader or 2nd place causing them to ride at or above his level sometimes forcing a mistake. For SX the points sytem was a little messed up and I feel Dungey abused the point system to his advantage. First place barely awarded more points than 2nd so he would basically sit in 2nd place and force a mistake take the easy win and points lead. I forget if they are changing the points system next year.