Progressive metal

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Re: Progressive metal

Post by Wahlamt »

Snopro704 wrote:No new genre of metal will ever create a song half as good as most classic metal tunes from Metallica, Megadeth, Maiden, Slayer, etc.

It's unfortunate really.
I think what made those so good was that they weren't too heavy, so a lot of people could actually listen to it. Amon Amarth's "Twilight of the Thunder God" is my 2nd all time favorite record I think. It's solid, but unfortubately it's too heavy to ever be mainstram :( In Flames's "A sense of purpose" is also super good, at least that's a little more to mainstream... Sure, those bands you mentioned had some amaxing songs, but I think there are equally good records being made today, but they're harder to find due to it being so many bands having records published today?
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Unwanted opinion coming through

Andy_Hack
Team: SplitFire

Post by Andy_Hack »

Snopro704 wrote:No new genre of metal will ever create a song half as good as most classic metal tunes from Metallica, Megadeth, Maiden, Slayer, etc.

It's unfortunate really.
You're right, modern stuff is literally just yelling and smashing the drums, I really tried to get into it for a while, but it's just bad music to me. "Kill 'em all" is still the best metal album of all time in my opinion, I don't think that anything will ever come close to that.

You might also like:
Helmet - Unsung(the whole Album), Strap it on
Corrosion of Conformity - Wiseblood, Blind, Deliverance
Suicidal Tendencies - (every Album until "Lights...Camera...Revolution)

I can put a Spotify list together with some more rather unknown bands that sound just as good as the early Metallica songs if you want, I collected a lot good stuff over the years.
*fancy signature*
d4u5d6u7 wrote:good staff, nice skins, like
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

This was my religion from '79-'86. Practiced almost every day in our lead guitarists basement. Just him on lead, another bud on drums and me on rhythm. We peaked summer of '82. Unfortunately, he drank himself to death before 50. We could play the first 4 Maiden albums chronologically. Needed bass and vocals.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
nickuzick

Post by nickuzick »

It's unfortunate really.
FUCKING SLAYER
kawasaki22db
Team: Privateer

Post by kawasaki22db »

DJ99X wrote:Unwanted opinion coming through

DJ I actually enjoyed that lol
I like dirt bikes and dirt bike accessories
kawasaki22db
Team: Privateer

Post by kawasaki22db »

Ive been getting down with this lately, I'm a huge periphery fan but had never actually sat down and listened to this one. The guitar is insanity I've been playing for 15 years and I am baffled by what this dude does
I like dirt bikes and dirt bike accessories
02RR02
Team: JNR Motorsports

Post by 02RR02 »

TeamHavocRacing wrote:*Iron Maiden*
Have never understood who has been the "lead guitar" in Iron Maiden. It seemed like Murray and Smith had a 50/50 role in this. Especially from my observation.
TeamHavocRacing

I'd have to go with Dave Murray since he was the only constant from the beginning along with 'arry. I said I was rhythm cuz I couldn't rip leads like the other guy. :oops:
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
Snopro704

Post by Snopro704 »

TeamHavocRacing wrote:This was my religion from '79-'86. Practiced almost every day in our lead guitarists basement. Just him on lead, another bud on drums and me on rhythm. We peaked summer of '82. Unfortunately, he drank himself to death before 50. We could play the first 4 Maiden albums chronologically. Needed bass and vocals.

Damn I'm so jealous of that! I picked up the guitar 2.5 years ago and taught myself. Been hammering away at Fear of the Dark lately, but I dream of having buddies that wanna cover Rust in Peace or another classic metal album I enjoy to play!
Flower Power - Am I an OG yet? :lol:
TeamHavocRacing

We would just play along to the albums when at home and jam them together after school, sometimes during. None of us really could read sheet music. I learned by ear.