World of Echo: Motocross Interviews, Articles, and Videos

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
JConley691
Team: CG Motorsports

Re: World of Echo: A Blog About Motocross Filmmakers

Post by JConley691 »

Illinois native Jeff Urbahn is this week's subject on the blog. This kid went from shooting his first motocross race in June of 2015, to producing the 150K+ viewed Vurbmoto series "Finding Florida" six months later. Last seen working for Motoplayground, he was undoubtedly on the fast track to success in the industry, until his scholastic endeavors led him across the pond in Florence, Italy, where he currently resides as a member of the University of Illinois. As always, you can read about him below.

https://inaworldofecho.wordpress.com/20 ... interview/
JConley691

Post by JConley691 »

The latest interview is out with Mr. Patrick Evans. Born in the heart of Pastranaland, Annapolis, Maryland, Patrick was a phenom at a young age. Racing 50's and 65's at the local tracks alongside Jordon Smith and Cooper Webb. Oddly enough, him and I had a chance encounter racing the 2006 Phoenix intermission for the KTM Challenge (even more odd, Phoenix 2006 was the last race led by a 250 two-stroke. McGrath holeshot and did a nac-nac over the triple). We talk a bit about his Dad (who is one of the sport's top agents, managing Webb and at one time James Stewart), finding his passion for filmmaking, camera specs, favorite movies, why motocross is the hardest sport to shoot, and much, much more. This is probably one of my favorite interviews so far. Check it out below if you want.

JConley691

Post by JConley691 »

It's been awhile, but the latest installment finally hits the homepage today. Thanks in part to the man TeamHavoc, I had a lengthy conversation with aerial-sports videographer Wes Coughlin. Wes is an incredible person, grew up skating and riding dirt bikes in the high desert of Redmond, Oregon, which quickly turned into a passion for snowboarding and snow sports. He's filmed stuff for GoPro, Discovery Channel (shark week!!), and many others. He offers great insight on what it's like to put it all on the line for a career in filmmaking. If you're interested check it out below. Thanks.

JConley691

Post by JConley691 »

Sorry for the double post but I also wanted to note that one of the reasons the gaps between interviews has grown is for a number of reasons, one of those being that I'm working closer with the organization of tracks I race with in Michigan and Indiana, Great Lakes MX. I'm running most of their social media and content on Instagram and facebook, so for any racers in the Indiana/Illinois/Michigan area, check out @raceglmx if you're interested.
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

JConley691 wrote:Wes is an incredible person, grew up skating and riding dirt bikes in the high desert of Redmond, Oregon
Sick! Thanks for taking him on. I didn't know a lot of this stuff about Wes! He's crazy good and kinda crazy! You can see it in his "Tim Burton Gaze" lol. His paragliding into a cliff vid is hard to watch, but he's almost fully recovered now. Great stuff Jared. Keep 'em coming.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
JConley691

Post by JConley691 »

TeamHavocRacing wrote:Sick! Thanks for taking him on. I didn't know a lot of this stuff about Wes! He's crazy good and kinda crazy! You can see it in his "Tim Burton Gaze" lol. His paragliding into a cliff vid is hard to watch, but he's almost fully recovered now. Great stuff Jared. Keep 'em coming.
You're a loyal reader man! I appreciate it lol. The least I could do was put him on!
TeamHavocRacing

I hope you get more recognition for what you do. You're a natural. I'm really stoked on that Wes interview!
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
JConley691

Post by JConley691 »

Hard to believe it's been almost a month since the last piece! I had some trouble finding subjects for a little bit there... but I finally caught a break when Ben Giese offered up some time to talk about his career. Ben is the creative director and one of the lead minds behind motorcycle lifestyle & culture magazine META. Originally under the Vurbmoto umbrella, the team has since parted ways with the now-defunct site, and have been going strong for the past four years. While Ben isn't a filmmaker by definition, he is embedded in motocross and the motorcycles. In his late teens and early twenties he was a privateer on the pro national circuit, traveling across the country in a van from the hills of Colorado. Afterwards he worked at Answer Racing and DC Shoes designing gear for the likes of James Stewart, Jake Weimer, and Robbie Maddison, before a stint freelancing for Spy Goggles and MCG. Today, he continues to freelance while running one of the most compelling print publications in the motorcycling industry.

Discussion includes: Introduction to the industry as a designer with Answer Racing, thoughts on higher level education, developing your style as an artist, his time at DC Shoes, starting / maintaining META, and more…

https://inaworldofecho.wordpress.com/20 ... ben-giese/
JConley691

Post by JConley691 »

New edition out with our very own Colton Davie (aka ColtonD719)! Colton is a hell of a track maker, as most of you probably know from his Monster Mountain and Sweetwater MX creations, but on top of being a creator here on MXS he's also an accomplished cinematographer. He's worked on music videos, shorts, feature length films, and more. He's worked WITH David Proval, Barry Primus, Bryce McGuire, Adam Cushman, as well as esteemed director Rod Blackhurst and actor Kevin Heffernan of Broken Lizard fame. (Super Troopers, anyone?)

We talk about discovering his love for editing and filmmaking by videotaping him and his brother riding, his experience living in LA (and now Oregon), lessons on the visual and sound relationship in film, and so much more. Great guy, great read. You can check it out below.

JConley691

Post by JConley691 »

I notice the blog is slowly transforming into more than just "motocross filmmakers," and the latest installment to the site with my good friend Alex Witkowski pulls me further from a blog about filmmakers, to a blog about motocross itself... or something. I'm not really sure what it's turning in to, but I'll keep making posts as long as people keep reading!

The latest piece follows Alex and I through my perspective of three days in North Liberty, Alex's hometown. I speak about the experiences we shared while filming his part for the article, as well as conversations I had with him and his family throughout my stay in their motorhome (which doesn't sound as bad as you might think). For those who maybe haven't seen before, we've collaborated on "120,960 Minutes W/ Alex Witkowski" and my full-length video from 2016, "Live! From the Midwest." His parts from 120,960 Minutes also wound up in my video for the Racer X Film Festival ages ago.

Alex is a national champion Sprint Enduro racer for Beta USA, and he spoke about his time in public school (and what he doesn't like about the public schooling system), growing up fast living in Florida during the winter, music, and his trip to France to compete in the International Six Days Enduro last year. Article includes video! Thanks for reading.

https://inaworldofecho.wordpress.com/20 ... i-article/
TeamHavocRacing

Damn, I'm 2 behind. I'll have to catch up and see what's what. Your style is cool and could translate to any kind of interview. Don't let genre hold you back.
JConley691

Post by JConley691 »

Hey guys, back with another interview today! I'm bummed I haven't been able to put these out as rapidly as I once did, but I hope the ones I do put out are worth the wait.

Anyways, a few days before the RedBud National I got to speak with Jessica Young, the director and lead cinematographer on Fox Racing's 2001 feature: Terrafirma 7. (Though her work may be more recognizable with Troy Adamitis' TGO series.) I could go on and on about this flick, but to make a long story short, this is my favorite motocross movie of all time. I was ecstatic Jessica agreed to give me a call and talk about what I learned to be her first foray into motocross, fresh out of the Academy of Art in San Francisco. Jessica snagged fellow graduate Todd Bell to be her assistant director, and a kid named Nick Kleczewski to handle lead edit duties. I see T7 as the gold standard for motocross media, and every time I put it on I leave with a smile on my face.

Discussion inclues: Life before Terrafirma 7, feature-film influence, learning to shoot moto, mishaps at RC’s and Loretta Lynn’s, tales of the GZAP cam, and much more…

*If you aren't familiar with T7, you can check it out HERE, or read through the interview and have a look near the bottom. Thanks for reading.

https://inaworldofecho.wordpress.com/20 ... ica-young/
JConley691

Post by JConley691 »

It's already the end of July... wow. As Isaac Brock once said, "the year's go fast and the days go slow." I'm lucky to get two pieces out this month, and I'm finally ready to share this one.

This installment is a special one though, for a couple reasons. To start, I've finally hit double digits! This is the tenth interview on the site (technically eleventh post, but I'll put videos and interviews in separate categories). I made a little post on Instagram, but it's been an awesome experience getting to talk to all of these people, a number of whom I met right here on these forums! Hearing stories and just getting to even bullshit with everyone has been an enjoyable experience each and every time. The more I do this, the more I wish I had started it sooner.

This also marks the end of "Book 1," the notebook I write down all of my questions/asides in. I'd like to split each book into its own "season," so consider this the end of season 1, haha. I won't be taking a break or anything, I'll continue to put these out whenever I can, but I think now's a good time to start a little collection.

Finally, it wouldn't be a proper season finale without finishing with a bang! While covering my media duties at the RedBud national, I bumped into the man responsible for some of the sport's most celebrated works of film. He's no stranger to me, as I've seen him there in previous years since I've started working the national, but I've always been too nervous to get a word out. I wasn't about to let it slip this time... I've always wanted to hear what he has to say because he's seen just about everything in the industry.

This is probably my favorite interview to date, and I hope you all enjoy it. Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Troy Adamitis!

Discussion includes: Getting hired into the industry straight out of film school, blowing Fox Racing’s budget on “Frezno Smooth,” missteps with No Fear’s “Chapter 2” and success with “The Great Outdoors” in 2002, the rise and fall of “Supercross: Behind the Dream,” “MX Nation” / “MX Planet,” and much more…

https://inaworldofecho.wordpress.com/2018/07/23/745/
TeamHavocRacing

I'm so far behind. When I'm on lunch at work I try to catch up. A half-hour goes by so quick when I have to sound out each vowel :oops: . I know it's a blog, but having the option to stream or d/l the audio would be too rad. It's gonna be here "forever" so I eventually will get through them all!
JConley691

Post by JConley691 »

TeamHavocRacing wrote:I'm so far behind. When I'm on lunch at work I try to catch up. A half-hour goes by so quick when I have to sound out each vowel :oops: . I know it's a blog, but having the option to stream or d/l the audio would be too rad. It's gonna be here "forever" so I eventually will get through them all!
I have another interview lined up tonight... I'll see if I can stitch some audio together this time. I feel like this site is still very much "personal," in that I only present it in the way I think is best, but if it's hindering people from getting to it then I guess it's high time I try to make audio a higher priority. Maybe I could merge it with video somehow? I'd love for everyone to be able to see what we're talking about in real time.

It's a new season! What the heck :roll: :lol: Let me know what you think when you catch up!