Isle of Man TT Discussion

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Isle of Man TT Discussion

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

I've been super OCD about the TT this year especially after getting the game and learning the course(about half so far). It's just been practice so far, but we already have a fatality in Dan Kneen R.I.P. I'd first heard of him last year during the review coverage and got to know a little bit more about him this year with the interviews meeting up to launch last Saturday. Part of the deal, but not easy to take. 240 odd racers have died since it's first running in 1911.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: Isle of Man TT Discussion

Post by jlv »

If it happens every year it's hard to claim it's an accident any more. I assume it wouldn't be feasible to make the course safe given its size. I wonder if it'd be possible to come up with a parachute system to get the rider slowed down before the fatal impact. The way it is now I don't see how the promoters can run that with a clear conscience.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
TeamHavocRacing

Please no. It's the last vestige of pure manhood before armed combat. The beauty of it is the Isle of Man is its own government which makes them able to vote for opening the streets for racing and of course the ugliness is the persistent death. The racers all know that going in and say it's the reason they get a rush from succeeding there. We lost 3 last year and I'm sure all three of them and Dan also would say to continue on. If you've seen the on bike footage then you know it's true insanity. Besides, isn't that just what dirt bike racing really is? Minus 1 digit from the speed.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

Have to agree with Havoc. Everyone is aware of the risk. It's in some way boring when everything has to be baby-proofed these days. Accidents and in some cases fatalities to be is and has always been a part of the risk.
TeamHavocRacing

The situation went from worst case to even worse after Dan Kneen's crash. Hoping this is all. Surprised they allowed riders to go backward on the circuit...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-i ... n-44314204
Andy_Hack
Team: SplitFire

Post by Andy_Hack »

TeamHavocRacing wrote:Please no. It's the last vestige of pure manhood before armed combat. The beauty of it is the Isle of Man is its own government which makes them able to vote for opening the streets for racing and of course the ugliness is the persistent death. The racers all know that going in and say it's the reason they get a rush from succeeding there. We lost 3 last year and I'm sure all three of them and Dan also would say to continue on. If you've seen the on bike footage then you know it's true insanity. Besides, isn't that just what dirt bike racing really is? Minus 1 digit from the speed.
Couldn't agree more! Formula 1 and WRC (especially group B) are the biggest victims from too high safety standards, those roll cages in F1 are just embarrassing. I mean, at the end of the day, everyone wants to go home to their families, but is it good for the sport and is it really that much fun for the drivers and riders anymore? I doubt it. Sebastian Vettel for example said, that he prefers his older, non-turbo-powered cars, Walter Röhrl who is well known for always telling people what he really thinks, goes even further, he says that racing these days is boring and that he truly feels sorry for all the young drivers, because they never had the chance to drive cars like they had back in the day in a real competition. The 80s and 90s was by far the sickest time for racing, that's why everyone is still so much into that era.

The TT is in my eyes the last of it's breed, the last race that's still or maybe even more insane than ~20-30 years ago. It's sad and each and every year I hope that every single one makes it out alive, but that risk is what makes this race so attractive to these guys. A couple years ago I talked to someone who already has been at the TT for 7 times, going for his 8th time back then, I asked him why he does that and why he's not afraid of what would happen with his wife and child. He looked at me and said "I need it, it's an adrenaline rush that you can't imagine if you've never raced it". I could see in his face that he was dead serious, he went on and said that he lives a normal life, normal job, normal family, normal house. Racing dirtbikes and streetbikes is what keeps him alive, he loves his life, but it's nothing like racing the TT he said. I couldn't believe how f*cking sick he obviously was to risk his life and the future of his family, but as weird as it sounds, i completely understood him.
*fancy signature*
d4u5d6u7 wrote:good staff, nice skins, like
TeamHavocRacing

Walter is one of my heroes. He's like McGuinness or Jackie Stewart, he was champion and fastest out there through the deadliest years while all around them people were dying. We need to be reasonable about safety in some sectors, but also need to let the big dogs eat if they want!
Andy_Hack
Team: SplitFire

Post by Andy_Hack »

Yeah definitely! I think they should try to make it as safe as possible, but I'd like to see that happen without any new restrictions on the racing itself.
*fancy signature*
d4u5d6u7 wrote:good staff, nice skins, like
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

It wouldn't be as entertaining without the fatalities? Dude...
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Phathry25

Post by Phathry25 »

jlv wrote:I wonder if it'd be possible to come up with a parachute system to get the rider slowed down before the fatal impact.
Reserve chutes take ~400' to open. I'm guessing that won't help much. How would it be triggered? I don't recall seeing any air bag systems being used by the riders, I'm assuming that they would be triggered by normal events on a road course, perhaps the trigger can be adjusted? Not sure about that technology.

Absolutely love this docementary. Watch it once a week usually...

TeamHavocRacing

Ha Phat! I watch it maybe once a month lol. Fatalities always suck JLV, but do you want flatter SX tracks with restricted bikes? Some things shouldn't be changed "for the better". The Northwest 200 used to be more dangerous, but they've added chicanes and some riders don't race there anymore since they started sanitizing it. I'm getting better at the Mountain course...

On The Pipe
Team: Factory Suzuki

Post by On The Pipe »

jlv wrote:If it happens every year it's hard to claim it's an accident any more. I assume it wouldn't be feasible to make the course safe given its size. I wonder if it'd be possible to come up with a parachute system to get the rider slowed down before the fatal impact. The way it is now I don't see how the promoters can run that with a clear conscience.
I understand where you are coming from 100% and agree. However, I feel like it is up to the riders to make the decision if more safety should be added. I'm sure each rider in the back of their minds accepts that this could be their last race.
nickuzick

Post by nickuzick »

I think it’s just the mentality. If anyone is interested try to find a film called 1: life on the limit. It’s not 100% relevant to motorcycles because they will always be much more dangerous, that’s just the nature of the sport. But that movie opened my eyes to how people lived back in the earlier days of Motorsport
TeamHavocRacing

nickuzick wrote:If anyone is interested try to find a film called 1: life on the limit.
It's very relevant. Drivers led by Jackie Stewart formed a drivers union had the first "revolt" against deadly tracks in the mid-sixties and boycotted in '77, the year after Niki Lauda's infamous fiery crash at the Nordschleife and got the race moved. Most TT racers can't have a normal pro career since "Real Road Racing" is strictly verboten in a pro contract for obvious reasons.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Phathry25 wrote:Reserve chutes take ~400' to open. I'm guessing that won't help much. How would it be triggered? I don't recall seeing any air bag systems being used by the riders, I'm assuming that they would be triggered by normal events on a road course, perhaps the trigger can be adjusted? Not sure about that technology.
Maybe a tether switch? I'm sure you could make it open faster if you were willing to use some kind of propellant to force it.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:Ha Phat! I watch it maybe once a month lol. Fatalities always suck JLV, but do you want flatter SX tracks with restricted bikes? Some things shouldn't be changed "for the better".
If there were multiple fatalities every supercross season? Yes, I'd want to do something about that.

I do like to see a death defying spectacle. Key word: defying. Otherwise I'm just watching some poor sucker killing himself to entertain the crowd. But at least the promoter is making money.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com