Schools are now offering schalorships for esports?

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
MOTOZ293
Team: Hog Heaven Racing

Schools are now offering schalorships for esports?

Post by MOTOZ293 »

So I just saw this news report that schools are now offering scholarships for eports. You get 4K a year, but they also make you workout. which i dont see any problem with as most esports players do that on their own anyways. They are also offering different classes that are esports based that basically teach you how to make a game, marketing for esports, business classes, but basically they are making "new" classes based on other classes that they have with esports in the title just to bring in the video game generation to go to their school. I see this as a scam and heres why; mainly they are advertising classes that they already have just with esports in the title to attract kids who was the be esports athletes.. Heres my other problem with this. You cant teach an esport to someone. youre just born with the talent. You have to play and learn after hundreds of thousands of hours. Here is my biggest problem with it. In the "regular" ball sports within the last 20 years there has been a difference between players when they were in college vs. 4-5 years into the pros (esp. football) They start to care about money more than the game. If you bring that kind of money into esports imo youll see the same things starting to happen. The appeal with esports are people with insane talent at a video game at the highest competitive level and you cant just teach it like you can a regular sport. There has been a massive growth in viewers for esport in the last 10 years than any other sport in the world. There has been a few tournaments that have had more viewers that an NFL game.

In conclusion: I think this is a massive scam for schools to make more money

PS: I live in ohio, so I dont know if there are other school doing this in other states. Ohio State is one of the schools doing this

whats your guys opinion of this? id love to get a convorsation about this going, mainly bc the news acted like this is the biggest deal ever (as they usually do) and i have not seen an esports broadcast talk about this kind of stuff what so ever
Crushed Dissenter

Re: Schools are now offering schalorships for esports?

Post by 808 »

One of my good friends goes to CSUB and is on the "varsity esports" team for Hearthstone. I'm not exactly sure if he's getting paid or anything like that, but there is organized practice times like most real sports. I think it's pretty cool,
James_122 wrote:The old folks home should limit you fossils on how much internet time you get a day. Hopefully they mashed your turkey meat up enough so you can chew it.
jmayo_2

Post by jmayo_2 »

Not sure of how Ohio State is doing the added classes for esports stuffl, but when I played college football you had to take specific classes for the sport. They were basically the same thing as the other classes, but they were taught by the coaches. In my case my lifting class was a football class specifically for the football team. A lot of colleges out west have college esports, so the added classes would most likely be for the kids that make an esports team. Idk if that's exactly how it works with esports just using my past experience.
scheeve3

Post by scheeve3 »

What kind of schools are offering this? I mean, the only way to develop esport skills are to start at a young age (10-12yo max). I think esports is one of the few sports you where you don't need talent imo. Just put in the hours and surround yourself with ppl who point out everything you're doing wrong and you'll be the best.
Frederik Van Eeckhoven - UID 326
1st Team @ MXSON 2009 & 2nd individual (125cc)
2012 DRT-Sandseries winner (MX1)
2012 DRT-spring SX series winner (OPEN)
2012 BMF-Friday night series winner (MX1)
LKR47
Team: LCQ Studios

Post by LKR47 »

I think it's an interesting concept, but I dont think it will last. It sounds just like those Fortnite tutors that parents were paying for a while back. It takes a long time to get really good at a game, likewise with basically everything you do in life and I think 4 years or however long the scholarship is for is not enough time nor worth the money unless it's a full ride. I don't think you have to be a prodigy, but you have to put in the hours you can't just pick it up an expect to be a top competitor. I started playing CS at the start of the year and am only nova 2 at just under 500 hours and I feel like It's going to take forever to get better, but it is doable.
We have competitive esports at my school, but they are just clubs and don't pay out scholarships. There are some big opportunities though. Robert Morris University here in Chicago and University of Illinois both got to play Bo3 in CSGO at IEM Chicago last weekend for a little money.
SKlein
Team: Evergood

Post by SKlein »

They are also offering different classes that are esports based that basically teach you how to make a game, marketing for esports, business classes.
They are advertising classes that they already have just with esports in the title to attract kids who was the be esports athletes..

Professional Esport careers are fairly short-term (relative to ball sports) as you're aware I'm sure. Classes that help optimize the profit of a potential career in Esports should be looked at in a positive light. Marketability and an understanding of business should be transferable outside of Esports to an extent so I don't necessarily see an issue with enticing more people into those classes. The classes will certainly benefit the school, but I'd look at it more as an adaptation to the generations interests than a "massive scam".
Heres my other problem with this. You cant teach an esport to someone. youre just born with the talent. You have to play and learn after hundreds of thousands of hours.
You don't think any of the current collegiate or professional Esports players were taught & coached how to improve reflexes/game knowledge/Etc.? I know you're referring to a classroom setting, but I don't entirely agree with your sentiment on that.
They start to care about money more than the game. If you bring that kind of money into esports imo youll see the same things starting to happen.

That mindset is nothing new, and I'd argue there's very few people that aspire to reach a professional level that aren't in it for the money. Sure a person can enjoy the game, but there's a reason burnout at the top is so common in Pro LoL for example. The playtime needed to stay competitive is not sustainable long-term for a lot of people so making the most money possible is important (as goes with a lot of sports).
The appeal with esports are people with insane talent at a video game at the highest competitive level and you cant just teach it like you can a regular sport.
That sounds a lot like the appeal of every other sport to be fair, and I think there is a lot you can teach when it comes to certain games.
There has been a few tournaments that have had more viewers that an NFL game.
A recent example.
MOTOZ293

Post by MOTOZ293 »

SKlein wrote:
Thank you for the explanations on a few of my statements. After sitting on this for a few days i do see how this can help. I guess i was looking at it more as a "singular player" standpoint, as in they cant teach reflexes or just things that people do naturally. I can see why the whole teaching in classrooms about how the behind the scenes works is a huge plus. One thing I wonder is how they can pay you. If they consider you a college athlete you arent allowed to be paid, or if they consider you pro, but you attend college
SKlein
Team: Evergood

Post by SKlein »

MOTOZ293 wrote:One thing I wonder is how they can pay you. If they consider you a college athlete you arent allowed to be paid, or if they consider you pro, but you attend college
My guess is that they use scholarships to bring in prospects, similar to the other collegiate sports. Not entirely sure, but that would make the most sense.
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

If it's true, it's a horrible development. They strip away the arts, music, industrial and craft classes to have more money for football programs full of dumbasses. Now they're going to pay for gaming? Maybe when you're older you'll understand what it feels like to have integrity eroded from your world.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
jmayo_2

Post by jmayo_2 »

TeamHavocRacing wrote:If it's true, it's a horrible development. They strip away the arts, music, industrial and craft classes to have more money for football programs full of dumbasses. Now they're going to pay for gaming? Maybe when you're older you'll understand what it feels like to have integrity eroded from your world.
I'd have to disagree with "football programs full of dumbasses". Having played football in college most guys were respectful, responsible, and good guys. Athletes are required to do well in class as well to play as well, and they help bring the schools bring in millions in revenue from ticket sales, concessions, merchandise, etc.
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

I did exaggerate. However, it has gotten way out of hand how everything else gets sacrificed for football or basketball. I don't believe that the academic part is thoroughly enforced, and there's plenty of news stories of athletic programs committing fraud. Athletes are shoo-ins when the school want/needs their talents yet they couldn't read their way out of a paper bag. It's been happening for years. Now it's just getting worse. Fucking esports scholarships? Weak sauce.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
MOTOZ293

Post by MOTOZ293 »

TeamHavocRacing wrote:I did exaggerate. However, it has gotten way out of hand how everything else gets sacrificed for football or basketball. I don't believe that the academic part is thoroughly enforced, and there's plenty of news stories of athletic programs committing fraud. Athletes are shoo-ins when the school want/needs their talents yet they couldn't read their way out of a paper bag. It's been happening for years. Now it's just getting worse. Fucking esports scholarships? Weak sauce.
I agree with you on all of this. Maybe the smaller school don’t do that but D1 schools for sure. They will do what it takes to keep a star athlete in anymore eligible to play. The whole college school system is just a big scam. You pay is you’re intire life even tho we make enough money for it to be free, “we don’t pay our athletes”, and you get to use our name on your first job application Bc after that it’s all about experience and not where’re you went to school
Jay

Post by Jay »

Am I the only one who cringes when the word "Athlete" is even vaguely tied to "ESport" PC Gamers ?

everything about the word and its origins defines the complete opposite of what these guys are ...
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

No, athlete and esport pro's are separate for me. Mathlete cringes me out too. Pro gamer/player is the correct title for an esport pro I think.
Jay

Post by Jay »

Wahlamt wrote:No, athlete and esport pro's are separate for me. Mathlete cringes me out too. Pro gamer/player is the correct title for an esport pro I think.
word