Chat channel

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
enzopersson
Team: Privateer

Chat channel

Post by enzopersson »

Hey, Dj or jlv. couldent some one make a online chat channel? Like Msn or what ever but for mxs only and online on this page? would be really cool, So you dont have to write in the topics all the time.

Peace!
DJ99X

Re: Chat channel

Post by DJ99X »

I can't do that. Moderators have limited powers. Would be good though, it would definitely keep this place cleaner
enzopersson

Post by enzopersson »

DJ wrote:I can't do that. Moderators have limited powers. Would be good though, it would definitely keep this place cleaner
Dont like the word limited. But uhm, what about a new page or sumfin like that? some pages has it and it couldent be that hard to get, correct me if im wrong.
We tryed with ventrilo but no one was ever online, thats kinda sad.

Peace
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

I can't actually control anything with the layout of the page. That is up to the admin, which is JLV. It shouldn't be too hard to do, it would only be an addon for the PHPBB software he is using
enzopersson

Post by enzopersson »

DJ wrote:I can't actually control anything with the layout of the page. That is up to the admin, which is JLV. It shouldn't be too hard to do, it would only be an addon for the PHPBB software he is using
cool, i can look after it couse ive got a exacly same page as this one, but its for music producers tho. yeye nighy night.
Mittocs
Team: Vitamin Water

Post by Mittocs »

we could make an mirc channel on gamesurge for mx simulator.
TEAM VITAMIN WATER YAMAHA

MX SIMULATOR - IN MOTION

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5NKNqRy-G0&hd=1 <--- WATCH IT!
Voutare

Post by Voutare »

I'm thinking an IRC channel would be pretty cool. Main problem is setting up a server to run it. I'm not willing to leave my PC running 24/7 so people can sit in there AFK and swap stories about their penises. (Like most IRCs. :/)
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Running a chat server would violate my hosting service's ToS. I might do it when I get a dedicated server for hosting online multiplayer.
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

what are the required things to run a dedicated server? at the university of akron ohio our internet connection is 10 meg's per second. could i help in any way?
Voutare

Post by Voutare »

Basically, a dedicated server is usually bought out from a company. Like most game servers. If you want to run one from home, your going to need a shitton of ram (I think), and a fast computer. And you would have to run it 24/7 all the time, which isn't very good for it.
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

yeah, very good point. I WOULD BE WILLING TO PAY AN ONLINE FEE! as long as it is reasonable. i know it sounds absurd to offer to pay an online fee, but a dedicated server couldn't be cheap and if that comes into question, now you know.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

You don't need much. Just a fast connection and a static IP address.

The prices for dedicated servers vary a lot. A fast managed server (i.e. they maintain all the software on the server) can be really pricey. $200 a month isn't uncommon. I'd probably go for an unmanaged server which you can find for $50 a month if you look aorund.
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

hmm, ua's ip adress changes constantly. that could be a problem. a unmanaged server sounds good but what is the quality difference between the two? is there much coding that goes into online multiplayer?
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

$50 a month hey. Wheres the funding from this coming from. I wouldn't care if we had to pay $5 to buy our Username, but I'm sure there will be others out there who disagree
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

like i said i would have no problem paying a fee. maybe it should be set up similar to xbox live where you have a gamercard. there could be a seperate website dedicated to mxs online where you can register your online "gamercard" for online gameplay. upon registering you pay say 10 dollars. or maybe 10 a year more likely. that's cheap compared to 60 a year.