3d animation/renders

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
VMX_SKYmx99
Team: BOMR

Re: 3d animation/renders

Post by VMX_SKYmx99 »

Thanks for the explanation mason. Just out of curiosity, could you import the model into zbrush and use the retopo feature to decrease the subdivisions and then bring it back into blender? Idk if it works that way or not. Again, thanks for taking the time to answer these questions. I'm learning more and more every day.
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

What I've done in the past for blender is take the low poly then add a subdivision surface modifier and add edge loops (ctrl+r) and adjust to make the shape correct. It is entirely mesh dependent though, if it can't create an edge loop in a desired location I usually don't know where to go after that :lol:. When I was making that carb that's the main reason I carried the loops around the whole part, so the added loops later would work correctly. I think if I continue using this method it would be best to create the low poly however works best, then re-create the part again with the correct loops for the subdivision editing. Not the best way but it has worked pretty good in the past depending on the part.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
yzmxer608

Post by yzmxer608 »

Modeled in Solidworks, rendered in Blender. Not totally accurate, since I didn't have actual dimensions.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
rafagas

Post by rafagas »

yzmxer608 wrote:Modeled in Solidworks, rendered in Blender.
Have you tried KeyShot? Very easy to use and don't need to convert the files to a specific format. Just drop your part/assembly file into KeyShot and go.

This is a very quick render I did to test the software. Unfortunately, since it is a trial version you can't save your work.

I'd like to finish the model and fix a few things (the front disc should be on the left LOL) but I use SW at work every day and don't really feel like using it when I get home haha
Benjii_D

Post by Benjii_D »

m121c wrote:I think Benji does High -> low method, would be interesting to hear his take if true. I've always wanted to try it as it seems to be the industry standard now.
Not anymore, my understanding of game modeling has developed a lot ;) I think it's better to start with the low poly in general but I can see cases where you want to start with the higpoly. it really depends on what you are modeling. It's even better to start with a HQ render model but you need a lot of motivation to pull that off. 3d scanning is an better option, I'd say you gain motivation from it
m121c

Post by m121c »

Benjii_D wrote:
m121c wrote:I think Benji does High -> low method, would be interesting to hear his take if true. I've always wanted to try it as it seems to be the industry standard now.
Not anymore, my understanding of game modeling has developed a lot ;) I think it's better to start with the low poly in general but I can see cases where you want to start with the higpoly. it really depends on what you are modeling. It's even better to start with a HQ render model but you need a lot of motivation to pull that off. 3d scanning is an better option, I'd say you gain motivation from it
Ya for hard surface stuff you can forsure get away with the low -> high method. Looking back on my Honda, the plastics really didn't need to be a high poly first, but something like the motor would have been cool to do as a high poly first, would have save a lot of Photoshop time, but at the same time that would be just more painstaking hours modeling. The crazy guys are the character artists... they model a low poly base -> Sculpt High Poly -> Re-Topo back to low poly.

The motivation would have to be strong. :lol:
yzmxer608

Post by yzmxer608 »

rafagas wrote:
yzmxer608 wrote:Modeled in Solidworks, rendered in Blender.
Have you tried KeyShot? Very easy to use and don't need to convert the files to a specific format. Just drop your part/assembly file into KeyShot and go.
I've never heard of it, will check it out though thanks! The bike looks awesome btw.
SMR 510RR
Team: Privateer

Post by SMR 510RR »

m121c wrote:
Benjii_D wrote:
Ya for hard surface stuff you can forsure get away with the low -> high method. Looking back on my Honda, the plastics really didn't need to be a high poly first, but something like the motor would have been cool to do as a high poly first, would have save a lot of Photoshop time, but at the same time that would be just more painstaking hours modeling. The crazy guys are the character artists... they model a low poly base -> Sculpt High Poly -> Re-Topo back to low poly.

The motivation would have to be strong. :lol:
Well that is such a different workflow because they need certain loops to control animating the model. Plus they are getting $$$ hahaha.

For me, going from low to high points out flaws in my low poly. For example if I am trying to cut an edge loop in to harden up an edge and it goes where I want it for a bit and then takes a sharp turn (and I want it to keep going) that tells me my poly flow is wrong. If you are working in max simply add a edit poly modifier on top of you low poly and then start cutting edge loops (they don't have to be perfect) and see what happens. Its a good final check before you go to high poly and unwrap everything to realize that your low poly is crap. If it is crap just delete that edit poly modifier and you are back to your low poly and you can make the necessary adjustments and try again until the loops all go where you want them to.
Kording

Post by Kording »

rafagas wrote: I use SW at work every day
SW stands for Solidworks ? I am using Inventor a lot at the moment and am very curious what you do for a living after seeing such an impressive model!
Tennis, Basketball and Baseball all requires one ball
Motocross requires two!
760Liam

Post by 760Liam »

I just recently made the switch from SW to PTC Creo 3. Anyone here use it? 8) I'm loving it so far.
Kording wrote:I am using Inventor a lot at the moment...
Have you tried other CAD programs or do you currently just use Inventor?
Sib43
Team: pridemx.at

Post by Sib43 »

Hey guys,

I m completely new to 3D and watched few tutorials so far. I am trying to get a professional filmer and I also have to learn this crazy stuff.
Can you tell me the best way (fe which tutorials) to get into this stuff fast?

thanks
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

I've recently made a model in CAD with everything as a center line. Is there a way to use extrude to also use it as a center line instead of an edge line?
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
Kording

Post by Kording »

760Liam wrote:I just recently made the switch from SW to PTC Creo 3. Anyone here use it? 8) I'm loving it so far.
Kording wrote:I am using Inventor a lot at the moment...
Have you tried other CAD programs or do you currently just use Inventor?
I have tried several different programs such as Solidworks and CatiaV5 but I got Inventor for free as a student so that was a big plus. Moreover I really like the working space so far
Sib43 wrote:Hey guys,

I m completely new to 3D and watched few tutorials so far. I am trying to get a professional filmer and I also have to learn this crazy stuff.
Can you tell me the best way (fe which tutorials) to get into this stuff fast?

thanks
Well for filmmaking you need a program that can animate stuff, just to name a few: 3ds Max, Rhino, Maya, Blender (for free), Cinema 4D! CAD programs won´t do it the way you probably want the end result to be :wink:
A lot of guys are using 3ds Max on this forum so you could get support right in here ( for basic explanations)
Blender is free but IMO quite confusing , still a good beginner software
I started just like you, I watch a ton of video tutorials on youtube or here http://cgi.tutsplus.com/
For example this onehttp://cgi.tutsplus.com/series/build-an ... t--cms-597
You could also get help in here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/, for specific question here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43
Pumaxcs wrote:I've recently made a model in CAD with everything as a center line. Is there a way to use extrude to also use it as a center line instead of an edge line?
I dont think I understand your question correctly. Could you post a pic showing your problem ? Also which software?
In Inventor you always have to make a sketch on a working plane which you can than extrude or edit in an other way
Tennis, Basketball and Baseball all requires one ball
Motocross requires two!
rafagas

Post by rafagas »

Kording wrote:
rafagas wrote: I use SW at work every day
SW stands for Solidworks ? I am using Inventor a lot at the moment and am very curious what you do for a living after seeing such an impressive model!
Yup, SolidWorks.
I started working as an intern at Mecatecno a few months ago. We make electric trials bikes for kids. Mecatecno is a spanish brand from the 80's but it's been back for a few years making electric bikes.

http://www.mecatecno.biz/#!home-english/c1sj3
Jre
Team: squid

Post by Jre »

My final schoolwork at the end of the first year. So we got one course of rigging, one for animating. Took approximately three weeks from me to finish this from the start including everything (model, textures, IK/FK rig, control objects, animation.)
Blender for the models, Maya for rigging and animation.
I may add some sound effects and make a portfolio version in future. :P