3d animation/renders

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Re: 3d animation/renders

Post by yzmxer608 »

attacker5 wrote:Thats realy cool p2sta, that render also looks very nice and clean Nate. A question for p2sta and nate, what do you use for renders? Mental ray or Vray, cause im sure you don't use scanline. Also a noob question, for the lighting, is it an environment? if so, how did you set it up?
Thanks
Ramon
Cycles, it comes with Blender. Thanks btw :)
p2sta wrote:that looks really cool man,
one thing tho...the blurring makes the bike looks really small, I would not blur the front area. And great idea with the banners! :)
For the dirt...make few different sized stuff, it makes better feel ;)

also here is how my basic set looks like
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/5150/rocksg.jpg
Thanks for the tips :). Yours are so much more detailed than mine. Think I might just do them in max, then set up the render in blender. Here's what I had to do...
-Set up a particle system
-Use a particle instance modifier on one of the dirt chunk models (puts a copy of the model on each particle).
-Run a script that drops selected models to an object underneath (all dirt chunks drop to a plane underneath, the plane has a displace modifier on it so it's not perfectly flat).
-Do this for each dirt chunk model (preferably on a separate layer so you can easily join each dirt chunk type into one object for different materials). Have to do it that way, because for some reason you can't click something in the outliner, then shift click at the end of the list and have it select everything between, only program I have ever seen this not work in...
It sucks :lol:
ddmx wrote:Springs so stiff the bike doesn't even sag under it's own weight. :wink: Need a lot more dirt clods imo. Looks like a solid start though.
Never thought about the bike sagging, thanks for the suggestion :).
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
attacker5
Team: Ub e moh tow

Post by attacker5 »

Hey,
I have been trying to use mental ray, but my normal maps seem compleatly out of wack with the arch and design material, is this broken or am I doing something wrong?
supercross711

Post by supercross711 »

Nate, re upload that render with out blur in the front and like piista said, more diffrent sized rocks and that will be sicK!
P2sta wrote:Read it again, you are going full are going full 'meurican here.
Sandhapper
Team: MotoRAD

Post by Sandhapper »

attacker5 wrote:Hey,
I have been trying to use mental ray, but my normal maps seem compleatly out of wack with the arch and design material, is this broken or am I doing something wrong?
I never had any problems with my norms when I used mentalray. How do you set up your normal map?
I always checked bump (30%, that is standard), clicked on the bar next to it where it says 'none', then choose normal map, checked inverted red, and the bar next to it where it says 'none' too, bitmap and selected my normal map.
I never had problems with that. Hope this helps a bit.
2013 EMF outdoors 2nd place overall
2013 MxSCentral outdoors 2nd place overall
2012 EMF outdoors 2nd overall
2012 SMA sx 2nd overall
2011 SMA outdoors champion

attacker5

Post by attacker5 »

After countless hours of failure, I think I have got a semi decent result. It is proving very difficult to get a realistic Outdoor result with VRay, and Mental ray is out of the question because it does not support normal maps. The blur is a little short I think, but other than that, I think its a good start.
Ramon
supercross711

Post by supercross711 »

looks good but once again i think it doesnt need the blur in the front...
attacker5

Post by attacker5 »

Read what I posted
p2sta

Post by p2sta »

from what I know MentalRay works fine with normal maps, just don't show them in material editor ;)
attacker5

Post by attacker5 »

Oh, cause I tried to apply a normal map, but no matter which way I flipped the channels, how I applied it, it was way off. How should the material tree look with a normal map?
Thanks
supercross711

Post by supercross711 »

I said I dont think you needed it at all. Read what I said.
p2sta

Post by p2sta »

i have no idea tbh. I never really get into mR, but I know back from my cg-cars days that guys was talking about the problem of not visible normal map in materials editor but working in render
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

I don't think the dirt clods look good at all at least while they sit on flat ground. Either make them a little smaller and more of them or have them sitting on distorted ground.
p2sta

Post by p2sta »

you probably saw that, but here are my bests for now...until I make spazztic/tcmx :D
MXJProductions
Team: MXJP

Post by MXJProductions »

supercross711 wrote:I said I dont think you needed it at all. Read what I said.
All personal opinion honestly guy.. I think it looks pretty cool with the Blur in front, adds a DOF look to it.
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

Was wondering how you wouldn't get the blur in the front, unless obviously you used a higher aperature (at least that's how Blender is setup, it's not a "instagram" blur).
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.