KTM's Electric Bike

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
DJ99X

KTM's Electric Bike

Post by DJ99X »

Man this would be awesome, if it lasted longer than 40 minutes

If you had any doubts that electricity is the future of off-road performance, this bike should eliminate them. KTM has created a fully functional electric, zero emissions enduro prototype and intends to put it into production. In keeping with its "Ready to Race" slogan, the Zero Emissions Motorcycle is a full-on competition bike, in which capacity it will be evaluated and developed before going on-sale as little as 24 months from now.

The Austrian company is releasing very few details of the Zero Emissions Motorcycle, but has revealed that it develops 29.5lb/ft of torque and carries lithium ion batteries capable of lasting 40 minutes under "race conditions" and that can be fully recharged in just one hour. In comparison, the Quantya Strada that we rode around our Brooklyn office develops only 23lb/ft. It's difficult to compare the two models' ranges as "race conditions" are hard to define, but Quantya says the Strada should be capable of about 25 miles off-road, which sounds like a rough equivalent.

KTM's battery pack and electric motor together weigh 17kg, but some of this weight will be offset by the elimination of the clutch; exhaust pipes and canisters; fuel tank and other necessities of internal combustion. The company expects that the Zero Emissions Motorcycle will carry a small price premium over a KTM enduro of similar performance.

Discussing the thinking behind the Zero Emissions Motorcycle project, KTM board member Harald Plöckinger says the lack of noise and emissions means "We can bring now the Enduro sport again more near in the centers of dense development and cities." Indeed the greatest advantage electricity brings to dirt bikes isn't the number of spotted owls that will be saved (comparatively cars, homes and industry all pollute exponentially more than all motorcycles put together), but rather the access that the power source will be capable of granting and preserving.

Seeing the competitive advantage the Zero Emissions Motorcycle would provide KTM and the environmental and political advantages it would give both the company and the country, the project is being part financed by the Austrian Federal Ministry for traffic, innovation and technology.
frederick
Team: Adept

Re: KTM's Electric Bike

Post by frederick »

I hope they wont replace our fuel bikes, if they do im not gonna ride anymore. It wont be any mx feel at all :(
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Sure, you won't be able to go 'brraaapppp' anymore, but you could ride in so many more places without people whinging. But without a longer power supply, I can't see it taking off dramatically. The need to hurry up with Hydrogen engines
frederick
Team: Adept

Post by frederick »

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzap 8)
moorin

Post by moorin »

there never ever will be a replacement for a 2 stroke or 4 stroke mx bike, nothing could replace the sound, smell and sight of one being rid properly, electirc and hyrdorgen are for geeky lil professors not hardcore racers.
YAMAHA privateers moorin,
if you aint rubbin you aint dubbin!
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

I bet your mind would change quick fast if Stewart was given an electric bike and smoked everyone
Twitch
Team: Privateer

Post by Twitch »

aewsome ! :O
MXS Online #239
moorin

Post by moorin »

no i wouldn't tbh am a true petrolhead and nothing will change that not even bubba whooping ass on a leccy bike
YAMAHA privateers moorin,
if you aint rubbin you aint dubbin!
cpt_Slow

Post by cpt_Slow »

what happens when you get to a river crossing,or its just plain rainy. I figure most will be waterproof but surely the motor has cooling vents etc?
Voutare

Post by Voutare »

Eh, I'd ride one, but it wouldn't be the same. It would feel like a BMX bike. :(
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

thing looks fugly
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
Voutare

Post by Voutare »

Looks like an SX 125. They even made the battery look like a motor too, with the 'ignition cover'.

I just hate how they have the gay rear fenders with the little part that comes down.
KTM says it’s serious about producing the bike for sale, and says that it has enough juice on board to run a 40-minute event and will recharge in about an hour. They also say that it produces 29.5 ft-lb of torque ... a 250 four-stroke makes 19.2 ...

Holy ballsack.

How much does a 450 make?
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Voutare wrote: I just hate how they have the gay rear fenders with the little part that comes down.
That would be the numberplate holder
Voutare wrote:How much does a 450 make?
Looking at a dyno chart, an RMZ-250 makes a peak torque of 19 ft-lb, so a 450 would be almost twice that. Still, thats a nice amount of torque
mace-x
Team: your sister´s fan!

Post by mace-x »

frederick wrote:bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzap 8)
lmfao, u laughed so hard xD

the bike looks so cool hope to race both fuel and electricity...
Massacre ftw!

the human stupidity and the universe are unlimited, and im not totally sure about the universe...
epik

Post by epik »

cpt_Slow wrote:what happens when you get to a river crossing,or its just plain rainy. I figure most will be waterproof but surely the motor has cooling vents etc?
Electric motors themselves are not effected by water, brushed or brushless. Brushless motors are mostly closed endbells and do not require any cooling vents, wich would be the only reliable source of power for an application like a motorcycle.