Upcoming Models #2

Post about creating and skinning models here
MX196
Team: Privateer

Re: Upcoming Models #2

Post by MX196 »

LuizH wrote:http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/6131/unledndd.jpg
I'am redoing the sideplate, and here's a WIP of the model i will try (and probably FAIL) to bake it.
again, I don't know if I will ever finish this
Made me think of this:

Hondune

Post by Hondune »

tyskorn wrote:I think adding reflections would help out with the chrome effect. I've never had the problem of the spec not shining though. Here is a tutorial on how to make reflections if you need it.

ah yes, i had actually read that. other games ive worked with the spec map actually controls how reflective the object is as well, so i just assumed that this game was the same. i will definantely give this a go here in a bit!

thank you all for being so helpfull :D
tyskorn
Team: Adept MX Graphics

Post by tyskorn »

Well, it does do the same thing in this game, you just have to have reflections added first. :)
magnusson
Team: Wannabe

Post by magnusson »

your work is quite impressive, modeled a hole bike and skinned it in only 2 days. People here are use to seeing good looking bikes released after 6-8 months of work. But they spend extremely much time on the maps for the bikes...
vurbmoto wrote: - Kevin Windham is still a BOSS
My Release's on PureMXS
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Tyskorn: No it doesn't

Environment reflections must be added in blender. Specularity can be set in blender, but will be over-ridden by a spec map. If the alpha channel is set to 255, then the spec map will use the specular exponent set in blender. The specular exponent will go from soft to hard when you increase the alpha channel from 0 to 254

Also, the spec map will only work if the bike uses a normal map.

Robbi: Usually 1-3 months for me
magnusson
Team: Wannabe

Post by magnusson »

DJ99X wrote:Robbi: Usually 1-3 months for me
the rmz that attacker made took what 7 months, the honda that wilson made took about the same time(i think?) dont remember how long your yzf took...
vurbmoto wrote: - Kevin Windham is still a BOSS
My Release's on PureMXS
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

robbimagg wrote:the rmz that attacker made took what 7 months.
AHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHA
My photography work
www.mikeowenphotographer.com
tyskorn
Team: Adept MX Graphics

Post by tyskorn »

DJ99X wrote:Tyskorn: No it doesn't

Environment reflections must be added in blender. Specularity can be set in blender, but will be over-ridden by a spec map. If the alpha channel is set to 255, then the spec map will use the specular exponent set in blender. The specular exponent will go from soft to hard when you increase the alpha channel from 0 to 254

Also, the spec map will only work if the bike uses a normal map.

Robbi: Usually 1-3 months for me
Oh really? I've been told wrong then. :lol:
Hondune

Post by Hondune »

well i got everything working now! i must say its looking much better with proper stuff working. normal maps are hard to see in the screen shots, but the seat, wheels, grips, and rear sprocket are all normal mapped. the rest doesnt really need to be, so i just left it flat.

i still got some minor stuff to fix but its pretty much finished at this point (and i model the damn rear shocks! i keep forgetting xD)

as far as how quickly im getting this done, its very rare that i for one have this much free time (summer break woo!) and also that i have this much motivation. but i wanted to get it finished before i leave for 2 weeks on vacation. im the type of person who has a very short attention span, so if i dont just sit down a bust out the model in a couple days i tend to get tired of it and never finish it :P

anyways ill let the screenshots do the talking.

DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

That looks badass mate.

How come you have used alpha on the tyres? Some of the knobs have holes in them
Hondune

Post by Hondune »

DJ99X wrote:That looks badass mate.

How come you have used alpha on the tyres? Some of the knobs have holes in them
the only spot that has alpha is the rear gear, so the teeth arent surrounded by white

the knobs are all exactly the same (made one, textured it, then spin duplicated it) so im not sure why some of them look weird, maybe the lack of anti aliasing is causing some dirt to show through where it shouldnt? however on the foot pegs there is a weird glitch where just the end of them dissapears at certain angles, even though the texture is 100% opaque. maybe the same thing is happening with the knobs for whatever reason?
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

You might want to try merging doubles after the spin dupe. If you don't merge them they'll have slight differences which will give you cracks.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
GoPro HD

Post by GoPro HD »

That bike could work for some epic 50 races!
Hondune

Post by Hondune »

jlv wrote:You might want to try merging doubles after the spin dupe. If you don't merge them they'll have slight differences which will give you cracks.
i always remove doubles after for that reason :/

and on top of that they are just solid cubes anyways, so there shouldnt be any cracks to begin with (i still removed doubles as a precaution anyways, but non were removed in this case)
Hi Im Skyqe
Team: wat

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

Off topic but I was wondering if anyone was going to make a Yoshimura RS4-D for the Honda model? Thanks!