Upcoming Skins & Shader Maps

Post about creating and skinning models here
giopanda
Team: Privateer

Re: Upcoming Skins & Shader Maps

Post by giopanda »

thanx guys!
yes the mouthpiece is awesome, it does all by himself i just added some normal for the grill, everything else is just shading!
wow!
i still have problems with specular, since all the different parts have a different reflection i wanted to render them but in game they all looks the same, no difference with or without specular maps..dj actually i didn't understand very well your explanation about specular, do i have to use black and white or transparency?
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Just leave the image at 100% opacity, so it uses the models hardness and exponent. Vary the colour between black and white depending on how bright you want it to shine. I think JLV may need to give a better explanation on how it works. I only just discovered that one part of the specular values is defined in the model. I have already set them up with the shoei model though, so it should be right
KLJ#24

Post by KLJ#24 »

Skin and helmet looks great Gio!

Need to start my K-Dub replica soon. If you're not doing it that is? No need to start if you're already planning on it.
giopanda

Post by giopanda »

not at all!
go ahead with the k dub, i don't plan to do any other skins other than the ones i mentioned above.
first because i don't have too much time lately and second because i want to release it as soon as possible so everyone can use the helmet!
if you want you can just work on the skins then send it to me so i can add grills and parts and also normal and specular maps that i already made.
let me know and good work :)
adhkcrfhonda

Post by adhkcrfhonda »

awesome job gio. it looks awesome!
giopanda

Post by giopanda »

i finally got the spec map working..i think.
but the problem is that there's a material problem for what i understand, because despite the spec map or not, or how strong it is, the helmet still reflects all the environment, so it's impossible to have a matte helmet..
this is the best i can do for it, but it doesn't look any good imho..

default helmet spec map

matte helmet spec map
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Oh, I might have to make a matte version of the model. I'll do it later on today and send it off to you
giopanda

Post by giopanda »

fcr3 version is done so i decided to go with the sabre too..and decided to waste some time to learn blender animation :wink:

fabmx1

Post by fabmx1 »

Simply the best helmet ever! Great Job Gio!
DJD

Post by DJD »

:shock:
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

:shock: G your da man thats amazing, great job
My photography work
www.mikeowenphotographer.com
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

DJ wrote:Just leave the image at 100% opacity, so it uses the models hardness and exponent. Vary the colour between black and white depending on how bright you want it to shine. I think JLV may need to give a better explanation on how it works. I only just discovered that one part of the specular values is defined in the model. I have already set them up with the shoei model though, so it should be right
It's pretty simple. The RGB color is the amount of red, green and blue specular color reflected. The alpha is the specular exponent, which sets how focused the specular light is. The more opaque the pixel the more focused it is, unless it is fully opaque (255), in which case it uses the exponent from the model's material.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

So a blank image would only have ambient shading to the model?
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

If the image is black, it will only have the ambient shading. If the alpha is set to 0, photoshop writes the colour for those pixels as 255 255 255, and the whole object goes whitewashed with the faces pointing at the sun.
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

giopanda wrote:fcr3 version is done so i decided to go with the sabre too..and decided to waste some time to learn blender animation :wink:

http://www.gifninja.com/Workspace/aa289 ... output.gif
That looks downright amazing

Can't wait!
DR.MIZ wrote: Keeping something "secret" so you can be "cool" is not making a flourishing community.