How to "READ" a template?

Post about creating and skinning models here
John23

How to "READ" a template?

Post by John23 »

Hi.

I want to do some replica gear, but idk how to read a template. What I mean by "read" is how do I know where is where? Like If there is an MSR logo on the back of the pants, where do I put the MSR logo on the template? I know how to read the jersey, but idk how to tell on the pants. Whats the front? whats the back? whats the "butt" area? Does anyone know what I am talking about, and if you do, I would love help...
jlv wrote:This post is useless.
ABRacing18
Team: 888888888888

Re: How to "READ" a template?

Post by ABRacing18 »

For the most part it's guess and check. You can "visualize" where things might wrap up on a model. but that's about it.

Things to consider:

Since the sleeves are unwrapped, they appear bigger and when they are wrapped back together, the overall length of the material when flat is much shorter. So play around with where the logos go on sleeves, they need to be smaller than what you would originally consider.

Not only for sleeves, everything is unwrapped so it's hard to get everything placed without previews in-game. Make what you think looks good, go in game, and notice how far you need to move something, or how much of a size difference you need.

If you're going to put new boots on, make sure you have a normal map to put on the template and save later. SG12s will look funny with Tech 10 norm.

After a while you get a better idea of where things go. Rider models and templates in this game are brutally simple, so imagine a set of gear in your mind and what it would look like if you "unwrapped" it, it's sort of a similar idea.
Aaron Boulger #116
Career Accomplishments:
Ate 3 tacos simultaneously
Almost won a race on 07
Made a successful batch of mac n cheese
jlv wrote:
jlv wrote:I've banned UID 1 for one day. Next time will be a week.
WTF!!!! I barely touched him!!!
Gideon#67
Team: Privateer

Post by Gideon#67 »

This is where having a obj file comes in handy. You can have PS or gimp open and blender and test it as you're going along. Much easier than properly naming things and packing them into your personal folder, starting MX sim, choosing the gear and waiting for the game to load then restart it in playback mode, toggle views and take a look.
jlv wrote:I've banned UID 1 for one day. Next time will be a week.
yzmxer608 wrote:I got to cuddle with Kellen because of this game. Thank you jlv!
Mikey wrote:We can all learn a lesson here boys. Never mess with a Mormon.. they will take it like a bitch.
John23

Post by John23 »

Gideon#67 wrote:This is where having a obj file comes in handy. You can have PS or gimp open and blender and test it as you're going along. Much easier than properly naming things and packing them into your personal folder, starting MX sim, choosing the gear and waiting for the game to load then restart it in playback mode, toggle views and take a look.
OK. Do you know if there is a link of Blender that will work for WinXP? That's what I have. :)
jlv wrote:This post is useless.