How Do I Make Shading? Help please.

Post about creating and skinning models here
Beast2013

How Do I Make Shading? Help please.

Post by Beast2013 »

Hello, I've tried looking on Google on how to make shading. I have no idea if it's made in blender or in Photoshop so I don't really know what to search for. Anyway I know a fair bit about blender and Photoshop. I need to make shading just for some plastics, so any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks guys
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Re: How Do I Make Shading? Help please.

Post by yzmxer608 »

Shading really isn't as important as it used to be, for plastics anyway. When we didn't have game shaders, the only reflections the bikes had were what came from the tracks env image, so the bikes looked flat and you had to make the shiny bits on the plastics yourself. Now that we have the shaders most of what used to be hand made on the diffuse texture (the actual "skin") is now done automatically. That is true for the highlights, but the shadows aren't done automatically, so some of that still needs to be added. You can either do them manually in Gimp or Photoshop, or render them out from the 3d model in Blender or 3ds max (ambient occlusion, or AO). Here are examples of the way skins looked before (these skins are actually from MvA, by one of the best; the_GALA
Now compare that to jvdl/p2stas/andys? kxf:
You can see on the kxf there really is only shadows and smaller details on the plastics, rather than highlights and everything as on the old skins. Metals still need quite a bit of attention for shading though, since they seem to need to be exaggerated to look good in game.

Your best bet is to look up shading type of tutorials for gimp/photoshop (the same principles apply to both, it's just the tools that are different). I would imagine you can find a lot of tutorials for editing photos of cars, that should help. Normally highlights are created using whites/light greys and lowering the opacity of them and messing around with the layer blending mode, same for shadows just blacks/dark greys.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
Beast2013

Post by Beast2013 »

Ok thanks for your time and help! I'll defiantly have a good look at those tutorials.
Alvo52
Team: Concept Decals

Post by Alvo52 »

Shading can also be done in blender but it's not know as shading it's know as the Ambient Occlusion(AO), first you have to go into edit mode of the object that you are using. Then go into the uv map editor and open a new image just a plain black one is fine, after that go in to you properties and where it show the little camera scroll down till you see where it says bake and on the little drop down menu, it normally says full render, change it to AO. After that go to the little picture of the world, go to the drop down that say AO make sure the box has a tick on it, scroll down and where it says gather look for sampling and set the samples to 25 ( got that part from benji_D). While doing all its that make sure your object has no material and that you are in blender render mode not cycles. Hope this helps :P
[Image