Team: BikeGraphix

Re: Upcoming Models #2

Post by silverskate »

im working on Thor sentinel chest protector
broland278
Team: MotoSavage

Post by broland278 »

Is it possible to run like a 6k skin or so ingame? ive never tried it nor know anyone who has. 6144x6144 just curious haha
Aaron Hall
Team: Architech

Post by Aaron Hall »

broland278 wrote:Is it possible to run like a 6k skin or so ingame? ive never tried it nor know anyone who has. 6144x6144 just curious haha
Ive ran a 8K bike skin and i didn't notice too much performance lose when i was on my own on new race never got round to testing it in a 40 man gate tho
maggett wrote:when JLV gives u a good dickslappin
ROSE822 wrote:braden carter die u inbred veggie cunt
broland278

Post by broland278 »

Aaron Hall wrote:
broland278 wrote:Is it possible to run like a 6k skin or so ingame? ive never tried it nor know anyone who has. 6144x6144 just curious haha
Ive ran a 8K bike skin and i didn't notice too much performance lose when i was on my own on new race never got round to testing it in a 40 man gate tho
hmm that would be pretty neat. Might have to give it a go
Mr. Wiggles
Team: GSR/137 Kid

Post by Mr. Wiggles »

broland278 wrote:
Aaron Hall wrote:
hmm that would be pretty neat. Might have to give it a go
O shit
Bottom feeder at LCQ Studios
Internet Nice Guy!
Jeremy150
Team: MV Films

Post by Jeremy150 »

You can't just change the image size to 8k resolution. At the most these bikes are unwrapped onto a 4k uv map. You aren't going to see any improvement in quality. Instead, you are going to see a bit of blurring from the image being stretched out 2x larger than it originally was. The only way to benefit from increasing the size to 8k is to actually re texture the the model.

From what I've tested and what I've heard from Stevo's (Boblob) testing, is that texture sizing hinders the games performance more than triangle count. 4k is already a pretty large image space for the amount of detail we're putting into these models.
broland278

Post by broland278 »

Jeremy150 wrote:You can't just change the image size to 8k resolution. At the most these bikes are unwrapped onto a 4k uv map. You aren't going to see any improvement in quality. Instead, you are going to see a bit of blurring from the image being stretched out 2x larger than it originally was. The only way to benefit from increasing the size to 8k is to actually re texture the the model.

From what I've tested and what I've heard from Stevo's (Boblob) testing, is that texture sizing hinders the games performance more than triangle count. 4k is already a pretty large image space for the amount of detail we're putting into these models.
I mean i can retexture it and all i am aware of how to do that, i guess i didnt really think about that. im surprised texture size hinders the game more then triangle count tho. thats interesting. Thanks for the info!
Andy_Hack
Team: SplitFire

Post by Andy_Hack »

Jeremy150 wrote:...Instead, you are going to see a bit of blurring from the image being stretched out 2x larger than it originally was. ...
Jeremy is right, in additon, I think most people don't know that "doubling" the image size means actually that it's 4 times as big, otherwise it would be 8192x4096. So it doesn't really double it, it actually quadruples.
Honestly, 4k Maps are just fine. Before we go over to 8k maps, 95% of the creators in this community should learn how to go to the limits of 4k maps, I mean, what's the point of using blurry logos on a 4k map? It won't change the fact that it's blurry, just to give you guys an example.
*fancy signature*
d4u5d6u7 wrote:good staff, nice skins, like
Mr. Wiggles
Team: GSR/137 Kid

Post by Mr. Wiggles »

Andy_Hack wrote:
Jeremy150 wrote:...Instead, you are going to see a bit of blurring from the image being stretched out 2x larger than it originally was. ...
Jeremy is right, in additon, I think most people don't know that "doubling" the image size means actually that it's 4 times as big, otherwise it would be 8192x4096. So it doesn't really double it, it actually quadruples.
Honestly, 4k Maps are just fine. Before we go over to 8k maps, 95% of the creators in this community should learn how to go to the limits of 4k maps, I mean, what's the point of using blurry logos on a 4k map? It won't change the fact that it's blurry, just to give you guys an example.
thats very true Andy and if we go to 8k I can't download any more shit and run the game on my potato
Bottom feeder at LCQ Studios
Internet Nice Guy!
Boblob801
Team: <3 Andy

Post by Boblob801 »

I've thrown models in the game with crazy poly count over 10mil, I couldn't go higher because blender would crash. (This was on my aids laptop) You have to think logically. Like Young Pandy said, 8k is 4x 4k in regards to pixel and memory. Times that by a 40 man gate and we're talking some serious numbers 160x the memory. You don't want to go there..... 4k is on the high side, learn to scale your uv maps better. JVDL did skins for unleashed on 1k maps that looked great with no shader maps like norms.
Hi
Boblob801
Team: <3 Andy

Post by Boblob801 »

*Double post FTW*
Ask Jay about his banner sequence texture sizes he had on one of the supercross tracks he did a couple years ago (Twas a mistake I think) Lag complaints for africa. That should tell you something.
Hi
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

NEED MOAR VRAM
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
Jeremy150
Team: MV Films

Post by Jeremy150 »