Upcoming Skins and Shader Maps #2

Post about creating and skinning models here
John23

Re: Upcoming Skins and Shader Maps #2

Post by John23 »

This is my first attempt at "skinning" a helmet. It took me 2 days to just put the logos on and get them all aligned. Huge props to helmet skinners. Any tips for me since I'm starting. Dos and Do Nots?

jlv wrote:This post is useless.
reddead422
Team: Wildside Designs

Post by reddead422 »

John23 wrote:Dos and Do Nots?
the helmet looks super clean man good job. Really the only tip i can give you is when lining things up i use the wire frame as a guide, and it usually really helps.
Matias43_

Post by Matias43_ »

Thats sick!
John23

Post by John23 »

I was wondering. I want to have a "mirror" lens in-game (like the 100% Accuri Lenses). Does anyone have a good blender material for those lenses I could cop off you?
broland278
Team: MotoSavage

Post by broland278 »

John23 wrote:I was wondering. I want to have a "mirror" lens in-game (like the 100% Accuri Lenses). Does anyone have a good blender material for those lenses I could cop off you?
Its in here, just do some testing:
John23

Post by John23 »

Bad ass! Thanks bud!
Dumbbelly29
Crushed Dissenter
Team: Privateer

Post by Dumbbelly29 »

Benjii's SE3 w dragon goggles has a good mirror material on the lens
John23

Post by John23 »

I made this replica skin for my buddy. Little changes from the original, but I enjoyed making it!

Ddavis

Post by Ddavis »

This isn't necessarily for you specifically but can you get copyrighted for "basing" a skin off another kit? I based my SX graphics off a FAMmx graphics kit (I gave credit by putting their logo on them) but they're just based off them, and barely recognizable. My brother told me you can't copyright shapes and lines, but just wondering if that is a "no-no".
broland278
Team: MotoSavage

Post by broland278 »

Ddavis wrote:This isn't necessarily for you specifically but can you get copyrighted for "basing" a skin off another kit? I based my SX graphics off a FAMmx graphics kit (I gave credit by putting their logo on them) but they're just based off them, and barely recognizable. My brother told me you can't copyright shapes and lines, but just wondering if that is a "no-no".
There is a fine line on the edge of copying/basing a design off another kit. From what I understand, as I do this for a living.If the kit is recognizable as the kit you based it off, then technically its copying and if they wanted they could sue you. So you can base a design off another it just has to be different enough from the original source. So take that kit and put your own "style" into the design. For sim shit, none of it seems to really matter lol besides maybe getting bashed on the forums.
Ddavis

Post by Ddavis »

In a professional environment I can imagine getting sued is very likely, but I find it hard to be sued on MX Simulator when you aren't making a profit off their design. However thank you for the response.
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

If Lucas Oil was an actual sponsor they would be pissed.

"LUOIL" :lol:
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
Brad_Smith

Post by Brad_Smith »

yzmxer608 wrote:If Lucas Oil was an actual sponsor they would be pissed.

"LUOIL" :lol:
Id be pissed if i had to run that too xD
FasonJelkey
Crushed Dissenter
Team: DeCalWorks

Post by FasonJelkey »

John23 wrote:I made this replica skin for my buddy. Little changes from the original, but I enjoyed making it!

lol Adidas would not like you very much along with Honda probably having a seizure looking at that improper use of their logo.
DBRider251
Team: Elevated Motorsports

Post by DBRider251 »

John23 wrote:I made this replica skin for my buddy. Little changes from the original, but I enjoyed making it!

I’d put the Lucas Oil where the Honda is, and just put the Honda wings instead of the full logo on the front of the shrouds
TeamHavocRacing wrote:it's all the liberals fault