PSA: You selling my models is not okay.

Post about creating and skinning models here
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

PSA: You selling my models is not okay.

Post by aeffertz »

Yes, this includes saf’d versions. If you want to sell cutouts, that’s fine. Selling complete saf’d files of my models to people who have not purchased the models is slimy and unfair.

Only sell what you have made. You did not make the model, you did not make the norm, you did not make the spec, you did not make the PSD. You should not be selling the model.
Mr. Wiggles
Team: GSR/137 Kid

Re: PSA: You selling my models is not okay.

Post by Mr. Wiggles »

who'd you catch big al?
Bottom feeder at LCQ Studios
Internet Nice Guy!
Quinten
Team: QM1

Post by Quinten »

preach
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

Mr. Wiggles wrote:who'd you catch big al?
Owen and others.

This community does a great job at burning content creators. Ripping and sharing is inevitable but people selling my work or work that isn’t theirs is next level garbage behavior. I hope someone new comes along and is as ambitious and hard working as I and others have been. But for now, I’m over it.
Atom6246

Post by Atom6246 »

aeffertz wrote:I hope someone new comes along and is as ambitious and hard working as I and others have been. But for now, I’m over it.
The likely hood of this is unimaginable. You've been such a great blessing to this community, pumping out so much content at a quality standard that you just don't see. I wish this wasn't happening, for multiple reasons.

I'm sorry it has come to this. You, as well as the other creators being effected deserve better.

Thank you for everything, and I truly hope this isn't the end for you..
dylan22

Post by dylan22 »

I took a 5 year break from pc gaming, including sim obviously. And when I made a return recently I noticed that almost every single top creator from when I used to play has now left the community, Stuff like this is the exact reason why.
Jrife548
Team: looking 4 gamer team

Post by Jrife548 »

I don't see the issue with selling a skin that's on your model. Like are you saying that if you want to run the kawasaki for supi or something you can't pay somebody who purchased the model make a skin for you, saf and scram it, then send it to you because you don't have $100 to spend and/or don't know how to skin?
Kael_Braden
Crushed Dissenter
Team: Elevated Motorsports

Post by Kael_Braden »

Jrife548 wrote:I don't see the issue with selling a skin that's on your model. Like are you saying that if you want to run the kawasaki for supi or something you can't pay somebody who purchased the model make a skin for you, saf and scram it, then send it to you because you don't have $100 to spend and/or don't know how to skin?
yes this is exactly what he is saying
Jrife548
Team: looking 4 gamer team

Post by Jrife548 »

It sounds like he's saying that it's a BAD thing.. Just about everyone in the community has done this, it's regular practice and never was an issue before? It's not like owen is selling PSDs, he's selling work that's he's done to the PSDs..
Kael_Braden
Crushed Dissenter

Post by Kael_Braden »

and scramming them
Haberfield24
Crushed Dissenter

Post by Haberfield24 »

The way I look at it, someone is selling an ice cream machine and I buy it. Then I sell ice cream to people who don’t want to buy the whole machine and setup because they only want an ice cream.

If I thought what I was doing was wrong I wouldn’t of done it. There’s no need to publicly call someone out, I’d much prefer a private message like I’ve received from other content creators so we can get some of the blurred lines straightened out.

Thanks to the guy who are backing me. I always try do my fair share for the community and I don’t have any bad intentions with what I’m doing.

I’ve supported Aeffertz in buying every single model he’s made. Even ones I’ve not even downloaded. I’ve also paid for the models for other people. One of them being Atom for SX.

But again surely what modellers are doing is wrong? Replicating real life helmets, boots, goggles and bike models for money? I wonder how the manufactures would feel about that...

If anyone has any issues contact me.
ColtHans

Post by ColtHans »

Haberfield24 wrote:The way I look at it, someone is selling an ice cream machine and I buy it. Then I sell ice cream to people who don’t want to buy the whole machine and setup because they only want an ice cream.

If I thought what I was doing was wrong I wouldn’t of done it. There’s no need to publicly call someone out, I’d much prefer a private message like I’ve received from other content creators so we can get some of the blurred lines straightened out.

Thanks to the guy who are backing me. I always try do my fair share for the community and I don’t have any bad intentions with what I’m doing.

I’ve supported Aeffertz in buying every single model he’s made. Even ones I’ve not even downloaded. I’ve also paid for the models for other people. One of them being Atom for SX.

But again surely what modellers are doing is wrong? Replicating real life helmets, boots, goggles and bike models for money? I wonder how the manufactures would feel about that...

If anyone has any issues contact me.
Agreed. That's what I was confused about. Seemed like Bell or another company getting mad at Tagger to me..makes no sense imo
Kael_Braden
Crushed Dissenter

Post by Kael_Braden »

yea because how would honda feel if i told them that somebody is making a version of there model for a video game and profiting off of it. vice versa with everything, im sure modelers could catch a lawsuit easily.
KTM57

Post by KTM57 »

Haberfield24 wrote:The way I look at it, someone is selling an ice cream machine and I buy it. Then I sell ice cream to people who don’t want to buy the whole machine and setup because they only want an ice cream.
I think this is a weak analogy. You're not selling ice cream - you're selling infinite replications of the same ice cream machine in different colors.

I would say it's ignorant not to expect someone to sell skins for a paid model you sell them. Right or wrong, it's very clearly what people had been doing for years before you starting selling content. My suggestion would just be to charge people more for permission to do so. That way, you make at least a little more money off of the honest or generous people. You're selling unlicensed content for a 13 year old game here.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

KTM57 wrote:
I think this is a weak analogy. You're not selling ice cream - you're selling infinite replications of the same ice cream machine in different colors.

I would say it's ignorant not to expect someone to sell skins for a paid model you sell them. Right or wrong, it's very clearly what people had been doing for years before you starting selling content. My suggestion would just be to charge people more for permission to do so. That way, you make at least a little more money off of the honest or generous people. You're selling unlicensed content for a 13 year old game here.
Assuming we're talking about derived works here, the ethical way to distribute a modified skin would be to use the original skin as your bottom layer and then distribute your psd with the bottom layer removed. Then the user who has both the original and the modifications could paste the bottom layer back in and export it. Basically a patch distribution but for images.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.