Modeling a Bike for MXS

Post about creating and skinning models here
attacker5
Team: Ub e moh tow

Modeling a Bike for MXS

Post by attacker5 »

I am not that bad at modeling, i am using softimage xsi, i am however a complete noob at modeling bikes for mxs, so how should i make the bike, i mean i know how to model it, but how should i save it, what parts of the bike should be in one file, how does the game know where the handlebars pivot. etc??? Thank you for the help. :mrgreen:
Mona
Team: MotoOption

Re: Modeling a Bike for MXS

Post by Mona »

Skin and Model Naming wrote:
DJ wrote:SKIN/MODEL NAMING
By DJ
In the following, XXXX is anything, but do not include any hyphens in this part. ZZZZ is anything.

BIKES
There are currently 8 different bikes. These are:
yz250f, yz125, crf250, cr125, kx125, kx250f, rmz250, rm125

Any of these will be referred to as 'bike' from now on

There are 6 parts to a bike model. These should be called:
bike_frame.jm
bike_swingarm.jm
bike_fork_upper.jm
bike_fork_lower.jm
bike_side_plates.jm
bike_front_plate.jm

This is for the 'default' model

But you can have more than one particular model for a certain bike. To do this, you add -XXXX into the name:
eg: bike_fork_upper-XXXX.jm (yz250f_fork_upper-WR250F.jm for example)
Basically, you model the whole bike, then divide it up into the following objects:
-bike_frame
-bike_swingarm
-bike_fork_upper
-bike_fork_lower

Get it into blender, export the objects -as they are named in DJ's post- with jlv's jm export script.
example: object "bike_frame" exports with the name of "bike_frame.jm". Remember though, if you are making, say a kawasaki, you replace "'bike" with "kx125"/"kx250f" (depending on what you're making)

Obviously, you have to know how to use blender, somewhat, because you have to fit and size the objects just right, so that they line up ingame.

One last thing, unless you are making some hardly-known-of bike, there isn't any more bikes to be made. They are all in progress or done (correct me if i'm wrong).
sk84life933

Post by sk84life933 »

What about the 2010 kx250f luiz was going to do but once again he didnt finish it. Someone should get those into game and finish it. I know there isnt much of a difference between the 09 and 10 so dont give me crap about that.
attacker5

Post by attacker5 »

Ok
Thank you Tim, that was a great post! Just a couple of things:

1. Do i model the wheels or not?
2. How does the game know where teh handlebars pivot?
How do i know what to scale things to in blender?

Thanks guys. :D
Mona
Team: MotoOption

Post by Mona »

attacker5 wrote: 1. Do i model the wheels or not?
2. How does the game know where teh handlebars pivot?
How do i know what to scale things to in blender?
1. No, the bike and wheels are seperate files.
2. The game puts all of the objects that you exported, together. There is a set axis where the front end pivots, so you just have to fit the frame into the triple clamps, and the game does the rest.

It's trial and error with the scale. But you can probably count on all parts being scaled up or down the same amount, so if you get, say, the front end scaled right, the rest of the parts should be scaled with it. (Scale everything up or down at the same time, even if you are only working on fitting one part).

A good way to start your fitting, is the fork_lower.jm, fit the front axle into the wheels (Centered in the bearings on the HD wheels). Then fit the fork_upper.jm to the forks of the fork_lower.jm. And then the frame.jm into the triple clamps of the fork_upper. And lastly, fit the swingarm with the engine/frame/shock of the frame.jm.
Wilson
Team: Privateer

Post by Wilson »

A good way to get proper scale is to export jlvs yzf250 he released a while back from blender (or see if dj will let you use his yzf250 which i prefer because it seems to allow you to align things better). Then import it into the program your working on and use it a reference model because you dont want to have to make model changes once you uvw mapped it.
mxbiker
Team: FSK

Post by mxbiker »

can you show us what you've modeled in the past? i hope youre good so that we get another modeler here.
Proud MXS member since 2008
Still a MXS 125CC rider!
2011 SMA nationals championships leader
5th at the GP replica series 2011
3th overall with team Holland at the MXSON 2010
attacker5

Post by attacker5 »

Hello again, im nit waking up the dead, im just continuing my project. I have made a really simple bicycle, just to test things out, now i have gotten everything to work, but i haven't seemed to align it up properly and i try and try and try but its still off, so where should i set the origin for the parts in blender. Also i can't seem to find that yzf250 jlv released, could someone please post a link?

Thank you.