Setting new MXS user directory path variable

Post your suggestions here
totorox

Setting new MXS user directory path variable

Post by totorox »

It is doable to set another new defaut user dir for mxs ?
I'm thinking I should be abble to set a new path env for %userprofile%/appdata/local/ but i think it may generate errors for other apps .
If I set "%userprofile%=e:\apps\MXSimulator\" in a .bat launcher for mxs and restore after game closed. And making a /appdata/local/MXsimulator tree folder in MXS app folder, it will be working without setting new %userprofile% for other softwares ? Is this variable will be local or global ?

My MXS user folder is near 2 GigaBytes (because of my current tracks big working folders), and I put all tracks in mxs app folder on other drive : 6GB ! Total = 8 GB !!!
Each time i reinstall system I have to backup it and it's the very bigger folder than other, it's the reason i moved all track to my app folder.

Don't you use a intermediate variable path for this directory call i could set before mxs start ?
totorox

Re: Setting new MXS user directory path variable

Post by totorox »

By this way we could use same folder for windows and linux, i have to duplicate datas for now and synchronise them...
And setting USERPROFILE variable is not as easy as I think.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

You could do that with a symlink. However, sharing the config file between Windows and Linux wouldn't work well.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
totorox

Post by totorox »

why ? i used same config file from windows to Linux, maybe for the controller config... (Which need to be improved to use different controler, multiple assignation and separate config file :mrgreen:).

Thanks for the symlink way, i'll try.
totorox

Post by totorox »

Nice and thanks for the tip, it's working... Grrr, I'm angry about myself to learn only now how to create symlinks on windows :x I was using a pathetic method to create them by compressing existing folder and text editing hidden data... :wink:
So if someone want to move mxs user folder use this command (on windows vista, seven) :
1 - move MXS user folder content to where you want, for sample, D:\folder\where\you\want\ (if you are not sure of want you do, don't move but copy to keep backup and rename original "MX Simulator" folder with any temporary name to be abble to revert action.
2 - then use mklink command, you can copy and paste that line after you have replaced "D:\where\you\want" by path where you moved your folder content, (keep quotes if you want to use space character in folder name) :

Code: Select all

mklink /d /J "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\MX Simulator" "D:\where\you\want"
3 - Then launch game and you should see your tracks and keep you configuration if it's working fine.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

totorox wrote:why ? i used same config file from windows to Linux, maybe for the controller config... (Which need to be improved to use different controler, multiple assignation and separate config file :mrgreen:).
The controller names are likely to be different. Even the keys can have slightly different names.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
totorox

Post by totorox »

For this reason, if you could plan to work on that it'll be cool for no US keymap users.
If the user could set commands himself for every function because some commands are weird assignation :
(and i think it may be easier to handle differents OS named keys problem and keymaps)
Some samples for editor :
zoom + is only the = key (not on numpad)
zoom - is only on the numpad - key
tools can be activated by shift+ 1,2,3... i suppose you just have to press one key
Camera moving is weird on a joystick (left-right) and button 1&2 (up-down), pedals (front-rear)

So if you can, don't use hard coded keys but let user choose (even if no interface, have to edit some config files)

- And it's important, multiple assignation by function :
-Being abble to move view with keyboard/mouse if playing with joystick
-If a brother prefer to play with a pad, and other with a mouse and other with, etc ;p Don't have to reconfig each time.
Klazyz

Post by Klazyz »

Cant understand how to do this. I open CMD and type: mklink /d /J "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\MX Simulator" "D:\MX Simulator" and then its says. You cant create a file that already exists. Ehrm?
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

You need to move "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\MX Simulator" somewhere else before you make the link. You probably want to move it to "D:\MX Simulator" in this case.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Klazyz

Post by Klazyz »

I'm not sure If I'm doing this correctly, now I just deleted the folder "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\MX Simulator" because it already exists on "D:\MX Simulator". Now, I guess I'll have to try again in CMD.
Klazyz

Post by Klazyz »

Did it now, and its says, a "hub"(junction, juncture, focal points, exchange points, node. Whatever you want to call it) was created for c:/user.....blabla <<==>> D:/MX Simulator. Is this made correctly?
Klazyz

Post by Klazyz »

Its not made correctly, next startup it was back to normal destination again :/
Klazyz

Post by Klazyz »

Sorry but, a new problem, when i connect to a server from http://mxsimulator.com/servers/ it opens a program called "MX Simulator Personal Folder" which icon is like a standard "folder-icon", that does bother me alot. Is they a way to fix this?
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

I'm not sure what you've done there. Running the installer again should remake the association for mxsimulator urls.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Klazyz

Post by Klazyz »

without clearing my MXPF? :)