[Tutorial] - SEQ (animation)

Sandhapper
Team: MotoRAD

[Tutorial] - SEQ (animation)

Post by Sandhapper »

I know DJ99X already did a sequence image tutorial, but I don't think everyone understood it. So i'll make another tutorial and try to explain everything.
Seq files let you animate stuff in mx simulator. I'll tell everything about it in this tutorial.

Software:
Any image editing program, such as gimp or photoshop.
notepad

Things to keep in mind:
Don't overuse this. If you've got too many frames/too fast seq this will most likely lagg.
Some things don't work with seq files (I guess decals won't work, I'm not sure because I only tried it once).
Save it as .png instead of .seq.

Time to start.

--Getting the frames.
Open your image editing program, and open the image that you want to animate. Copy the layer and change the image a bit.
Now you've got 2 frames which are different from each other. You can add as many frames as you want, but keep in mind that this can cause lagg.
Save the images seperate and name them whatever you want, we use anim1frame#.png in this tutorial. You've got 2 images so save frame 1 as 'anim1frame0.png' and save frame 2 as 'anim1frame1.png' without the single quote's.

--Making the SEQ file.
Open a new notepad file. On the first line you add 'ANIM1' without the single quote's. Now press enter to go to the second line in your notepad file. We're only using 2 frame in this example. so add '0 1 0' to the second line without the single quote's. Now the animation will go from frame 1 to frame 2 to frame 1. If you loop it (which I will explain later in this tutorial) it goes frame 1-frame2-frame1-frame1-frame2-frame1-frame1-frame2 etc. If you don't want this, you need to change the last part. Example: Now it's 0 1 0, change it to 0 1. If you loop it now it will be frame1-frame2-frame1-frame2 etc.
Go back to the first line and after 'ANIM1' add a space and the number 3. This number indicates the lenght of the animation in the second line. If you've more numbers on the second line, 10 as an example, then you need to add a 10 here instead of a 3. After the 3 add any number you want, this number indicates how fast your animation will go. How higher the number, how slower in animation. The time per frame is in 1/128 second steps.
Now we're comming to the loop part of the seq file. This is a 1 or 0 at the end of the first line. If you want the animation to loop then you need to set it to 1. If you don't want it to loop, set it to 0.
Add a new line on the bottom of your file. Add 'PNG @anim1frame0.png', press enter and add 'PNG @anim1frame1.png' without the single quote's. These are the frames, if you have them in a folder then you need to name it like this: 'PNG @Foldername/anim1frame0.png'.

--Saving.
This is the most importand part.
Go to file, save-as and choose All Types instead of .txt. DON'T name it anim1.seq, this won't work. You need to name it anim1.png instead.

--Getting it in game.
Track Billboards:
Open your billboards file and add a new line.
[100.0 0.0 100.0] 100.0 1.000000 @anim1.png
[x y z] Size aspectratio @name.png
In the above example it isn't linked to a folder.
[100.0 0.0 100.0] 100.0 1.000000 @foldername/anim1.png
[x y z] Size aspectratio @foldername/name.png
In the above example it's linked to a folder.

Track Statues:
[100.0 0.0 100.0] 0.0 @anim1.png
[x y z] Rotation @name.png
Not in a folder^

Riding gear:
rider_body-P2sta2-myanimatedgear.png
rider_body-modelname-skinname.png

Bike skin:
rmz450-2013 Rmz-myanimatedbike.png
bikebrand-modelname-skinname.png

Here is an example of the rain seq I made for MxRewinds track (Hemonds).

ANIM1 5 3 8 1
0 1 2 1 0
PNG @Hemonds/billbourd/rainframe0.png
PNG @Hemonds/billbourd/rainframe1.png
PNG @Hemonds/billbourd/rainframe2.png

Here is an example with words.

ANIM1 Lenght numberofimages timeperframein1/128secondsteps loop
sequence of the frames
PNG @trackname/subfolder/seqfile.png

Sorry if my English sucks.
JLV can you please unlock this post?
2013 EMF outdoors 2nd place overall
2013 MxSCentral outdoors 2nd place overall
2012 EMF outdoors 2nd overall
2012 SMA sx 2nd overall
2011 SMA outdoors champion

yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Re: [Tutorial] - SEQ (animation)

Post by yzmxer608 »

I find it weird it didn't work for you when you had the .seq file extension, it has always worked for me with that extension.

It definitely works on decals btw, and the skybox (http://www.mediafire.com/?bl2c7ay1qt2i206). I actually had no idea it would work for rider and bike skins, I guess the regular .png extension is good for that then.

Thanks for the write-up :).
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
Sandhapper

Post by Sandhapper »

yzmxer608 wrote:I find it weird it didn't work for you when you had the .seq file extension, it has always worked for me with that extension.

It definitely works on decals btw, and the skybox (http://www.mediafire.com/?bl2c7ay1qt2i206). I actually had no idea it would work for rider and bike skins, I guess the regular .png extension is good for that then.

Nope, that .seq file extension never worked for me.

I'll defintly try to make decals again, it was awhile ago so I probably did something wrong there. I can post the gear seq I made if you want?
I tried the track and my eyes hurt now. But yea, the decals are working. I'll defintly try it out.

Np!
2012 SMA sx 2nd overall

760Liam

Post by 760Liam »

yzmxer608 wrote:I find it weird it didn't work for you when you had the .seq file extension, it has always worked for me with that extension.

That tracks amazing. :lol:
m121c

Post by m121c »

So does this mean we can make the gear ripple? SWWWEEETTTTTTT. Definitely trying this out. Thanks!
Boblob801
Team: <3 Andy

Post by Boblob801 »

m121c wrote:So does this mean we can make the gear ripple? SWWWEEETTTTTTT. Definitely trying this out. Thanks!
Yes and no. You can make it ripple like wind by making a SEQ on the normal map but be assured that it will eat your game.
Hi
760Liam

Post by 760Liam »

My gopro recording light will now be blinking...... 8)
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

Have always wanted to release a track, and after about 2 minutes have a bunch of monsters pop up out of no where or make it looks like you're in a Mario level with mushrooms and stuff all over the place.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
m121c

Post by m121c »

Boblob801 wrote:
m121c wrote:So does this mean we can make the gear ripple? SWWWEEETTTTTTT. Definitely trying this out. Thanks!
Yes and no. You can make it ripple like wind by making a SEQ on the normal map but be assured that it will eat your game.
You talkin to the guy that yolo swagged it and makes gear with 4k maps AND makes super high poly atlas braces. You think I care? :lol:
760Liam wrote:My gopro recording light will now be blinking...... 8)

That would be so sick. Never thought of that.
Sandhapper

Post by Sandhapper »

I tried that on the family pc a while back. Not the worst pc or best, just decent. It lagged.
I might still have the normal map SEQ.

I also tried to make a decal SEQ, but I didn't get it. I couldn't find the decal in the editor anymore.
2012 SMA sx 2nd overall

AWood
Team: Who Knows...

Post by AWood »

Sandhapper wrote:
I tried that on the family pc a while back. Not the worst pc or best, just decent. It lagged.
I might still have the normal map SEQ.

I also tried to make a decal SEQ, but I didn't get it. I couldn't find the decal in the editor anymore.
Someone made decals/skybox for a 30 minute track comp. I can post it if you want to look at it.
barrington314 wrote:awood is right
Leclair wrote:My name is barking
Leclair wrote:i fuck you
2014 rF GNC 22nd Overall - 2014 rF 450 SX 12th - 2014 rF 450 MX 11th Overall
2013 rF GNC 17th Overall - 2013 rF 450 SX 17th - 2013 rF 450 MX 8th - 2013 EMF French Cup Open World 6th
mxchild
Team: Batman motorsport

Post by mxchild »

m121c wrote:
Boblob801 wrote:
You talkin to the guy that yolo swagged it and makes gear with 4k maps AND makes super high poly atlas braces. You think I care? :lol:
*and made buzz light year but wont release him :evil: