Struggling with ruts, help a fellow rider out!:)

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
Joben727
Team: TechEvo/PKS

Struggling with ruts, help a fellow rider out!:)

Post by Joben727 »

Hey guy's, i've recently got into track editing, one thing that i really struggle with is those ruts that are perfect on the GP tracks, i can never re-create them on the editor, i've tried photoshop on the Terrain.png file, but really sucked with it!

Anyone got any tips, i've tried numerous amounts of tips for making them in the editor but they really don't work, unless it's me being a dumpty.

Cheers guys, hope you can help!
Joben727

Re: Struggling with ruts, help a fellow rider out!:)

Post by Joben727 »

Thanks but i've tried it and they turn out horrible
Yamaha285
Team: MotoStar Racing

Post by Yamaha285 »

I make ruts in PS and its really simple. I use the pen tool or the brush tool depending on what i am shooting for. Pen tool will give you a perfect rut bend and a brush will give you a more natural rut with some hick ups. But with a bush i have to blur the entrance and exits to make them just right. Depending on scale and terrain size the opacity has to be just right to get the height out of it like making it 1% white and the inner part being 3% black so it digs in a bit. I have not tried editor for them yet but rafagas seems to have a pretty simple tutorial on them. Here are some i just made in ps but not finalized.

Joben727

Post by Joben727 »

Yamaha285 wrote:I make ruts in PS and its really simple. I use the pen tool or the brush tool depending on what i am shooting for. Pen tool will give you a perfect rut bend and a brush will give you a more natural rut with some hick ups. But with a bush i have to blur the entrance and exits to make them just right. Depending on scale and terrain size the opacity has to be just right to get the height out of it like making it 1% white and the inner part being 3% black so it digs in a bit. I have not tried editor for them yet but rafagas seems to have a pretty simple tutorial on them. Here are some i just made in ps but not finalized.

They look really nice man! I'll have to give it a shot, but when i've tried it in photoshop they come out so jagged although i've blurred and smoothed them ot as much as possible, you got an image of one corner of ruts for an example for me to follow? thanks man!
Yamaha285

Post by Yamaha285 »

Could be your scale in the terrain.hf file. I think mine reads 10 1.25 91.00 275.00 but i am not home right now to verify that. And i could be wrong. I do not have to blur or smooth the ones i did they come out like that. All i have to do is hit u in editor to update the shading while testing them but i never save that till i finish the track completely and like the way it rides. Ill set up something for you once i get home from work in a step process of how i did those in the pics. I do the berms the same way but with white only at 4-8 % opacity depending. Shit i just thought of it before you lower the opacity of the colors you want to do a Gaussian blur at 1-1.5 on ruts and 2-3 on berms or to your liking then lower the opacity of those colors. This should give you a smooth transition into them.
Joben727

Post by Joben727 »

Thanks man, I really apriceate your time to help! The terrain size may have something to do with it meybe, we shall try it out and see what happens man!
Yamaha285

Post by Yamaha285 »

Start by making a rut shape with the pen tool that stays tight but can fill so it does not have a wide top then fill it white
Duplicate that layer then color overlay it black and position it to be inside the white and line up just right. A small gap between colors works good for blending.
Gaussian Blur. I did 1.5 on these here is the black then the whit done to see the difference
Lower the opacity of the black and white. My white in these is set to 3 % and black is at 2 %. Use to your liking.
Final results once you complete a bunch should look similar to this and they end up like the game screens i posted above.

I hope this helps you a bit. Like i said the same can be done with a brush with 100 % hardness. Checkerz had a pretty cool live stream of washougal doing it that way and it helped me be creative with mine. Same concept goes for the berms but at a wider design and a 2.5 blur setting i like but this also can be adjusted to your liking.
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

Yamaha285 wrote:I make ruts in PS and its really simple. I use the pen tool or the brush tool depending on what i am shooting for. Pen tool will give you a perfect rut bend and a brush will give you a more natural rut with some hick ups. But with a bush i have to blur the entrance and exits to make them just right. Depending on scale and terrain size the opacity has to be just right to get the height out of it like making it 1% white and the inner part being 3% black so it digs in a bit. I have not tried editor for them yet but rafagas seems to have a pretty simple tutorial on them. Here are some i just made in ps but not finalized.

Look at a rut in real life.

It goes down a lot more than it goes up. That's an important point to consider.

By keeping the black and white portions of the rut on different layers, you can adjust opacity to control how high or how low the rut is, until you find a good sweet spot. I'd argue the black layer is more important, and should be more prominant, than the white layer.

An additional "dressing" for your right might be a 2nd black layer, which fans out much further and more gradually from the "face" of the rut. Like a bit of a bowl. This might encourage the bike to slide into the rut in game.
DR.MIZ wrote: Keeping something "secret" so you can be "cool" is not making a flourishing community.