Note for "skinners" from P2sta

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
p2sta

Note for "skinners" from P2sta

Post by p2sta »

Hey guys,

this is something that is bugging me for a long time already, so though i will write it here hoping some of you will take this advice.

When you do a texture ("skin") for any model in mxs (rider, track object, etc....including norm/spec maps) please make sure you save it in 8bit mode. There is hardly any visible change and the files size can be reduced about 40%. That means the game needs less memory to load all the textures and the textures takes less hdd space as well.

More info here if you are interested

For example the team trucks that are placed on the outdoors tracks currently are in 16bit mode. I had problems with some of the FAMmx series tracks and when i resaved the textures in 8 bit problems were gone.
Same goes for gear set, lots of them lately are saved in 16bit color mode...and when i get a pack of textures for a render of one single rider that is 70 Mb its just ridiculous

I really hope some of you will read this and follow it.

Thanks for all the great creations you guys do for this game!
SCOTTFMX14
Team: Night Riders Racing

Re: Note for "skinners" from P2sta

Post by SCOTTFMX14 »

thanks for the info :)
Lawsy139

Post by Lawsy139 »

SCOTTFMX14 wrote:thanks for the info :)
Andy_Hack
Team: SplitFire

Post by Andy_Hack »

I also noticed that a few years ago, Photoshop was set to 16 bit and i was skinning everything in 16bit, i wondered why other people's skins have a higher file size and noticed that it was 8bit.
As i found out you were able to change a 16bit (and also 32bit) skin to 8 bit i just tried it and noticed no difference at all, i even saved it, however in the end i can definitely tell that everyone who sticks to 16bit is just wasting a lotta space and missing also quite a lot performance!
*fancy signature*
d4u5d6u7 wrote:good staff, nice skins, like
p2sta

Post by p2sta »

yeah, as you can read in the article posted in the first post 16bit is better for editing because you have more color space, but for saving the picture 16bit is waste of space
checkerz
Team: RaGe Factory

Post by checkerz »

I learned something today. Thanks for sharing p2sta
SMR 510RR
Team: Privateer

Post by SMR 510RR »

Never even thought about it. Maybe I will batch process the MX2014 folder and reupload it smaller for people to redownload if they please.
barrington314
Team: me

Post by barrington314 »

Someone buy this man a beer. :D
m121c

Post by m121c »

Completely agree, never really came to my mind to be honest. One thing too is that the spec maps do not need to be full resolution if you are not putting any detail in it (I'm guilty of it with my gear), if you are just using solid colors and no details you could get away with 512px map really, and also for bikes like the old Wilson honda or DJ's old yamaha, since they are completely edge split and do not have much for a normal map they too could be downsized. If only the engine for mxs where more up to date with next gen engines...
Andy_Hack
Team: SplitFire

Post by Andy_Hack »

m121c wrote:Completely agree, never really came to my mind to be honest. One thing too is that the spec maps do not need to be full resolution if you are not putting any detail in it (I'm guilty of it with my gear), if you are just using solid colors and no details you could get away with 512px map really, and also for bikes like the old Wilson honda or DJ's old yamaha, since they are completely edge split and do not have much for a normal map they too could be downsized. If only the engine for mxs where more up to date with next gen engines...
*fancy signature*
d4u5d6u7 wrote:good staff, nice skins, like
attacker5
Team: Ub e moh tow

Post by attacker5 »

m121c wrote:If only the engine for mxs where more up to date with next gen engines...
Dis, dis is what its about.
barrington314
Team: me

Post by barrington314 »

attacker5 wrote:
m121c wrote:If only the engine for mxs where more up to date with next gen engines...
Id back a kickstarter project to cover these costs. :wink:
ONE2TWO
Crushed Dissenter
Team: GOOD TEAM

Post by ONE2TWO »

Learn something new everyday. Thanks p2sta :D
Fro77
Team: TBR

Post by Fro77 »

barrington314 wrote:
attacker5 wrote:
Probably the only kickstarter I would ever donate to :lol:
Ddavis wrote:You paid your $5 to do this shitty event so deal with it, everyone who wants their money back for whatever fucking reason, go get a job you poor bastard.
James_122 wrote:If you really want to know if Jesus is real, just ask Havoc They went to college together.
Wiggles
Crushed Dissenter
Team: Privateer

Post by Wiggles »

Fro77 wrote:
barrington314 wrote:quote="m121c"]If only the engine for mxs where more up to date with next gen engines...
Probably the only kickstarter I would ever donate to :lol:[/quote]
Fuck yea :D
Wiggles Smith
Youtube Waggles Gaming
Instagram Wiggles_smith
Facebook N/A