How-To: Create Replica Track Height Map (Sketchup Method)

Big Smooth one3
Team: TMFR [Aulmni]

Re: How-To: Create Replica Track Height Map (Sketchup Method

Post by Big Smooth one3 »

barrington314 wrote:A couple things for Aeffertz:
Awesome tutorial. But in video 3 (I think) you said you save your terrain.png as 2048. It needs to be 2049 x 2049. The PNG image though, yes it needs to be a power of 2 (2048x2048 or 4096x4096 for example). Also you did a good job at explaining how to get the heights scaled well but kind of didnt really mention how to scale the length. One way I could offer to tell about is this... If you are using the 2049 resolution, you know at a scale of 1 you will have 2048 x 2048 feet of terrain. In more stupid terms, if you went in game and measured the length of one side, it would be 2048 feet. So if you go back into your google earth thing and measure (yes there is a measure tool) one side of your path and for example lets say you get 1475 feet. You would take 1475/2048 = 0.720215 which is now your scale. AKA, change the second number in terrain.hf to that. And now you are at 1:1 scale. From there some simple math to scale it up if you so choose.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong in any of this. Because I could be.
So your beloved 1.25:1 SX scale would be 1843.75/2048=.900269 (rounded off)? Or, for the example, would you be adjusting the 2048 up by 25%? I've only got a basic...basic...understanding of things as I'm learning, but I would venture to say the first (i.e., .900269) is correct? This is the simplest way to explain scale that I've read, appreciate the dumbed-down explanation for us beginners.

As to the plugin - it seems that at least someone has gotten your method to work. I'll have to try it out when I get back home this afternoon, but again, thanks for the info.
Aggressively Mediocre Image
barrington314
Team: me

Post by barrington314 »

Big Smooth one3 wrote: So your beloved 1.25:1 SX scale would be 1843.75/2048=.900269 (rounded off)? Or, for the example, would you be adjusting the 2048 up by 25%? I've only got a basic...basic...understanding of things as I'm learning, but I would venture to say the first (i.e., .900269) is correct? This is the simplest way to explain scale that I've read, appreciate the dumbed-down explanation for us beginners.

As to the plugin - it seems that at least someone has gotten your method to work. I'll have to try it out when I get back home this afternoon, but again, thanks for the info.
That would be correct. 1.25 x scale = new scale. Just FYI, only sx has been that big. The nationals are more likely around 1.10 or 1.15. :)
Hope you get that plugin issue solved.
BuzzedControlers
Crushed Dissenter
Team: StanceMoto|AUS|Owner

Post by BuzzedControlers »

would really appreciate some help, I cant get the expansion tap at all i need some help cheers :)
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

Please expand on what you're having troubles with. It's still working for me.
beast 519
Team: RIDE365.com

Post by beast 519 »

So you may be able to help me on this effertz, or even barrington. I got the terrain and overlay in game and everything to work. My only problem is that even though the height map worked, I have bumps everywhere on the whole map. Could this be from having to enlarge the terrain to 2049x2049 when i put it in photoshop, or maybe I missed a step. Thanks
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

beast 519 wrote:So you may be able to help me on this effertz, or even barrington. I got the terrain and overlay in game and everything to work. My only problem is that even though the height map worked, I have bumps everywhere on the whole map. Could this be from having to enlarge the terrain to 2049x2049 when i put it in photoshop, or maybe I missed a step. Thanks
If the terrain was 1025x1025 and you made it larger, you may have to smooth a bit to get it good.
beast 519
Team: RIDE365.com

Post by beast 519 »

Can I leave it at 1024x1024 and have it still work?
Wahlamt

Post by Wahlamt »

beast 519 wrote:Can I leave it at 1024x1024 and have it still work?
You have to have it 1025x1025, so if it is 1025x1025, it may work. You might need to adjust terrain.hf though
Big Smooth one3
Team: TMFR [Aulmni]

Post by Big Smooth one3 »

beast 519 wrote:So you may be able to help me on this effertz, or even barrington. I got the terrain and overlay in game and everything to work. My only problem is that even though the height map worked, I have bumps everywhere on the whole map. Could this be from having to enlarge the terrain to 2049x2049 when i put it in photoshop, or maybe I missed a step. Thanks
This very well could be the result of enlarging the PNG, but it also kind of sounds like what happens if you work in RGB mode in PS - or any mode that's not 16 bit grayscale. I've made that mistake a few times without even thinking about it, it can be a real pain in the ass.
Aggressively Mediocre Image
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

That's normal. Just zoom way out in the editor and click over the whole image with the smooth brush set at 3. You may have to click a couple times.
Wahlamt

Re: How-To: Create Replica Track Height Map (Sketchup Method)

Post by Wahlamt »

Is there any way at all to get by this?
Wahlamt

Post by Wahlamt »

As I did some research, I stumbled upon this. I have not read through it, it just looked somewhat good from reading it is an overview and looking at pictures. From what it seemed, the tools mentioned were free.
https://www.matterhackers.com/news/how- ... -the-world
Wahlamt

Post by Wahlamt »

How to install the ruby plugin, the .rb file is below the .rbz explanation.
https://help.sketchup.com/en/article/38583

Edit before I even posted:
This is how I got the greyscale bmp image. I have NOT done more than tutorial 1, but if I can help anyone at this stage, I guess it's good.

Have:
  • 2013 sketchup installed
  • 2015 sketchup installed
  • The ruby script working on the 2013 version
  • Get the height and toggle terrain with 2015 SU
  • Save the file (now opened on 2015) as 2013 sketchup version
  • Now open it and run the script on the 2013 SU version
This is because I did not get the ruby script to work on the 2015 version.
Wahlamt

Post by Wahlamt »

Wahlamt wrote:How to install the ruby plugin, the .rb file is below the .rbz explanation.
https://help.sketchup.com/en/article/38583

Edit before I even posted:
This is how I got the greyscale bmp image. I have NOT done more than tutorial 1, but if I can help anyone at this stage, I guess it's good.

Have:
  • 2013 sketchup installed
  • 2015 sketchup installed
  • The ruby script working on the 2013 version
  • Get the height and toggle terrain with 2015 SU
  • Save the file (now opened on 2015) as 2013 sketchup version
  • Now open it and run the script on the 2013 SU version
This is because I did not get the ruby script to work on the 2015 version.
I realized this: http://www.mediafire.com/download/qwtdssxwst3wnt5/mesh2HeightMap_v1.0x.rbz existed and now there are no point in following my instructions above. But the link in the quote still is how you install extension.
Sam511
Team: Privateer

Post by Sam511 »

I click ok but then it doesn't come up with the save window so I can't save it as a BMP?