Whats your pc?

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Re: Whats your pc?

Post by Pumaxcs »

Not sure I get what your after with your fans or I'd try to help. :lol:

The 1600x is probably the closest model replacement for you being their 6/12. From the unofficially leaked benchmarks the 1700x ($390) performs like 6900k ($1090) and the difference between a 3930k and 6900k is ~30%. So, kinda in a way maybe?

Game still hardly use more than 4 so in most cases they won't even really have a benefit other than the few percentages from being better single cores in general.
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
mxsrider96
Team: PoGo

Post by mxsrider96 »

So, I'm in the market for a new SSD. Mine (120gb 840 Evo) keeps filling up, and is really starting to piss me off. Was hoping to get about 500gbs for less than $150, but I also don't wanna get a crappy SSD. Any tips?
WAR CRY <3
Sun Burn
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

Pumaxcs wrote:Not sure I get what your after with your fans or I'd try to help. :lol:

The 1600x is probably the closest model replacement for you being their 6/12. From the unofficially leaked benchmarks the 1700x ($390) performs like 6900k ($1090) and the difference between a 3930k and 6900k is ~30%. So, kinda in a way maybe?

Game still hardly use more than 4 so in most cases they won't even really have a benefit other than the few percentages from being better single cores in general.
Thanks, I figured performance hasn't really skyrocketed CPU wise since mine.

The fans I bought didn't come with the 3 pin connectors on them, I didn't have anything to crimp or the connector itself so I cut extensions I had and wrapped the wires but they aren't soldered or anything.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
SMR 510RR
Team: Privateer

Post by SMR 510RR »

mxsrider96 wrote:So, I'm in the market for a new SSD. Mine (120gb 840 Evo) keeps filling up, and is really starting to piss me off. Was hoping to get about 500gbs for less than $150, but I also don't wanna get a crappy SSD. Any tips?
Shouldn't be too hard. I would keep an eye on the Deals section of the Linus Tech Tips forums. Obviously a quick google for any drive that comes up will tell you the general consensus on if it is any good or not.
yzmxer608 wrote: The fans I bought didn't come with the 3 pin connectors on them, I didn't have anything to crimp or the connector itself so I cut extensions I had and wrapped the wires but they aren't soldered or anything.
WTF? What kind of bargain fans are you buying? I have never heard of that before, did they have the crimped on terminals but without that plastic piece or just nothing?
Hi Im Skyqe
Team: wat

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

yzmxer608 wrote:Thanks, I figured performance hasn't really skyrocketed CPU wise since mine.
From Sandy to Broadwell there is roughly a 20% increase in single core performance. Realistically waiting for Skylake-E to drop and see what that brings before upgrading would probably be smart. If you want to move up to more than six cores then the performance is there for sure but then you will lose single core performance. From what I am reading single core performance will be improved with Skylake-E.

I hope Ryzen works out good and the benchmarks that have been leaked look promising, hopefully they aren't cherry picked. Intel needs competition on many fronts and will end up giving us a better end product if AMD succeeds with Ryzen. I would like to see Ryzen be a hit and force Intel to lower pricing on the mid tier enthusiast processors making it a bit more reasonable to actually consider moving up from a four core.

Figured I would give an update on my PC now that it is finally done.. Overall really happy with how it turned out. Here are a few pictures from when I was leak testing it. Somehow I didn't take any pictures after I finished.. :roll:

Before Filling Loop
Leak Testing
Picture of the EK GPU Bridge

Ended up getting a really good chip in my opinion. Realbench stable @ core: 4.6 at 1.37 & uncore: 3.6 at 1.150 stable.

Here is a Firestrike run I did today where miraculously I got 14th overall. :lol: This is a comparison of my setup vs the best 6850 & SLI 1080 setup on Firestrike. http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/11597289/fs/11747732#
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

SMR 510RR wrote:WTF? What kind of bargain fans are you buying? I have never heard of that before, did they have the crimped on terminals but without that plastic piece or just nothing?
I got them from Mouser, they're more of a electronics surplus store more for like industry applications. I'm guessing they're mostly wired directly off of the power in machines and what not. Think I just got them because I liked the specs and they were fairly cheap.

That looks super clean Peter! Bend the tubing yourself? Also is that GPU block parallel or series? I never really liked the idea of parallel for cards.

I'd definitely wait to see how the next enthusiast chip families play out. The largest weak-point in my system I'd say are the graphics cards, they're starting to struggle at the bigger games now with max settings (and now only dx11). I guess that and storage, my 120GB SSD is pretty close to full, as is my Raid 0 array for most my programs. I'd also really like to get a DAS setup in raid as a better backup system.

M.2 looks enticing too...
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
Hi Im Skyqe
Team: wat

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

yzmxer608 wrote:
SMR 510RR wrote:WTF? What kind of bargain fans are you buying? I have never heard of that before, did they have the crimped on terminals but without that plastic piece or just nothing?
I got them from Mouser, they're more of a electronics surplus store more for like industry applications. I'm guessing they're mostly wired directly off of the power in machines and what not. Think I just got them because I liked the specs and they were fairly cheap.

That looks super clean Peter! Bend the tubing yourself? Also is that GPU block parallel or series? I never really liked the idea of parallel for cards.

I'd definitely wait to see how the next enthusiast chip families play out. The largest weak-point in my system I'd say are the graphics cards, they're starting to struggle at the bigger games now with max settings (and now only dx11). I guess that and storage, my 120GB SSD is pretty close to full, as is my Raid 0 array for most my programs. I'd also really like to get a DAS setup in raid as a better backup system.

Thanks. I had a buddy help me bend the tubing. GPU's are in Parallel, bottom card run's two degrees warmer than the top card.

M.2 is great in theory.. They are faster than a SSD for about 20-30 seconds then the speeds falloff as they heat soak/overheat. I see with Z270 they are making 3-D printable fan shrouds for the M.2's to try and manage temps and in the case of the flagship ROG board they are having it under the monoblock to cool it.
mxsrider96
Team: PoGo

Post by mxsrider96 »

Peter, your tube routing is so sexy.

SMR, thanks for the tips. I'll look here soon
WAR CRY <3
Sun Burn
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

Yeah Peter, that looks super dope! I'm entertaining the idea of a new case and attempting to build a watercooled rig. I want to find a case to match better with my new set up. I'm also in the market for a new keyboard... I reckon that'll probably come first. :lol:

Atom6246

Post by Atom6246 »

@Peter
Heres a pic of my rig, i5 6600k, 980ti, asus z170-a.
Didnt want to liquid cool my cpu because thats prob the first thing I'm going to upgrade and I'll just it then. Plus it was my first time building a pc so prob the safer way to go about it at the time.
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

So, more is released and its equally neat and scary.

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... -just-329/

Some actual live demo's on hand and confirmed pricing and stats. They still seem inline to compete with Intel and the 1800x and 6900k have the "same" single core performance. On the other hand going down the R7 line the 1700x is compared to a 6-core 6800k and the 1700 is compared to a 7700k, a 4-core so they went price comparisons and not model comparisons on technical benchmarks that use all cores. Of course the 1700's will do better, they have 2/4 more cores. Hopefully its only because they are releasing the R7 series and the only comparisons they had to make was price as the 1800x and 6900k have similar single core performance and this carries through to the other models because that has been by far AMD's weakness.

Another slightly concerning thing is from the ars link and that's the reviews won't be available until launch day but, the wording also makes it sound like their review is already complete and they are just waiting to release it. Not sure what to make of that but release day reviews scare the shit out of me.

I'm still really pulling for AMD's success. If anything their pricing model shows just how out of touch Intel has gotten lately and why we need them. Still waiting on next-gen GPU's before I decide anything on my upgrades but competition has me excited.
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
Crushed Dissenter

Post by 808 »

laptop i got in 2009 from walwart :wink:
James_122 wrote:The old folks home should limit you fossils on how much internet time you get a day. Hopefully they mashed your turkey meat up enough so you can chew it.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

If you're into really technical stuff, this David Kanter interview on Zen was pretty good. The main shortcomings appear to be one less address generation unit and half width AVX2. I'm pretty sure AVX2 isn't widely used yet. The address generation units might be a bigger problem for stuff that has a lot of loads and stores, but anything going to memory that much is probably going to be limited by the memory speed anyway. One exception might be stuff that uses the LEA instruction a lot. (LEA lets you use the address unit to do math instead of actually using the generated address, so it uses the address unit without actually going to memory.) Probably would be showing in the benchmarks if it was a big problem.

Pretty funny when they asked him what they might have kept from the previous generation. Uhhhh, hmmm, give me a minute to think of something polite to say...

Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Itz Raidox
Team: Westeffex.com

Post by Itz Raidox »

Gtx 1080 gigabyte
Intel-i7 3 gz
With A deepcool case
and a benQ 21" monitor
Smidly wrote:
Jeremy150 wrote:ARLINGTON PASSWORD
e/9v8ta/%ar{dV':/.>qhyT
really bro this is the best password you could come up with? smh bro
On The Pipe
Team: Factory Suzuki

Post by On The Pipe »

Hi Im Skyqe wrote:
yzmxer608 wrote:

Thanks. I had a buddy help me bend the tubing. GPU's are in Parallel, bottom card run's two degrees warmer than the top card.

M.2 is great in theory.. They are faster than a SSD for about 20-30 seconds then the speeds falloff as they heat soak/overheat. I see with Z270 they are making 3-D printable fan shrouds for the M.2's to try and manage temps and in the case of the flagship ROG board they are having it under the monoblock to cool it.
I'm loving my m.2 ssd it's really great. I kind of bought an entry level one (Intel 600p 256gb) because they are quite pricey for the faster and higher capacity. Some of the boards don't have the best locations for m.2 either which can be a problem for heat. I only use it to load into games faster which is all I really wanted. Depending on your application there are better options though.

I'm hoping AMD is coming back with a vengeance and a good alternative. Intel and nVIDIA are great products, but they are damn pricey if you ask me. I had to downgrade some of my components because the CPU and GPU were so darn expensive. Plus getting into 6 six core and above is just too expensive with the Intel route.