Whats your pc?

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Re: Whats your pc?

Post by Pumaxcs »

My motherboard recently started throwing BIOS errors on every boot so I showed its who's boss and dropped that muthafacka. Still waiting on SLI bridge and few small things. Undecided if I'm going to get an RGB strip but most likely getting custom cables done.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/pumaxcs/saved/kckTWZ

Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
Hi Im Skyqe
Team: wat

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

Nice build. I would recommend putting the GPU rad in push pull and plug them into the motherboard. The fan profile can be aggressive especially in H1.. :lol:
Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

Currently its just push but funny you mention them. :lol: I wanted it to look pretty so I used a fan extension cable I had so I could hide them but turns out it was a low voltage adapter so currently I have to hand crank my fans to get them spinning. Once they start its fine but its hilarious I spent so much for GPU's then I'm over here like the Flintstones with my fans. Correct extension cables are coming later and I'll bench everything when I have time tomorrow so I'll see about temps/OC and other extra's then. Not so worried about the GPU but the CPU. I know the top of the case is restricted and with its intake being GPU exhaust it will be a task to keep it in check.
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
Hi Im Skyqe

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

Pumaxcs wrote:Currently its just push but funny you mention them. :lol: I wanted it to look pretty so I used a fan extension cable I had so I could hide them but turns out it was a low voltage adapter so currently I have to hand crank my fans to get them spinning. Once they start its fine but its hilarious I spent so much for GPU's then I'm over here like the Flintstones with my fans. Correct extension cables are coming later and I'll bench everything when I have time tomorrow so I'll see about temps/OC and other extra's then. Not so worried about the GPU but the CPU. I know the top of the case is restricted and with its intake being GPU exhaust it will be a task to keep it in check.
It's not bad if you have the fans set up good in it. Those Hybrid's like push pull its about a 8 degree difference in temp.. I have the same case BTW after my other debacle.. I have top and front as intake (3 120's up top and 5 120's in the front with the rad in push pull) and a 140 in the rear as exhaust.

7700k is a really nice chip, I love mine. Only issue with them is the stock TIM under the IHS is terrible if you want to overclock, I highly recommend delidding, makes about a 15-20 degree difference under load on kaby lake. Mine runs at 60 degrees max at 5.0 24/7 OC delidded.
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

Pumaxcs wrote: but most likely getting custom cables done.
Please don't say your'e using the plastic cable dividers/separator things. I like the look but damn those things are ugly. Do some cable sewing instead!
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

I wouldn't do either. I can't sew or know anyone that can and I'm not a fan of the cable combs either. Maybe the small one that fit inside as they are almost invisible but even then I'm iffy. The cable lengths that you see are small runs but with the TG back I don't have alot of room for clutter so I just need custom length runs to not have bundles of slack back there and lay flat.
MXS Cares
Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

Hi Im Skyqe wrote:
Pumaxcs wrote:Currently its just push but funny you mention them. :lol: I wanted it to look pretty so I used a fan extension cable I had so I could hide them but turns out it was a low voltage adapter so currently I have to hand crank my fans to get them spinning. Once they start its fine but its hilarious I spent so much for GPU's then I'm over here like the Flintstones with my fans. Correct extension cables are coming later and I'll bench everything when I have time tomorrow so I'll see about temps/OC and other extra's then. Not so worried about the GPU but the CPU. I know the top of the case is restricted and with its intake being GPU exhaust it will be a task to keep it in check.
It's not bad if you have the fans set up good in it. Those Hybrid's like push pull its about a 8 degree difference in temp.. I have the same case BTW after my other debacle.. I have top and front as intake (3 120's up top and 5 120's in the front with the rad in push pull) and a 140 in the rear as exhaust.

7700k is a really nice chip, I love mine. Only issue with them is the stock TIM under the IHS is terrible if you want to overclock, I highly recommend delidding, makes about a 15-20 degree difference under load on kaby lake. Mine runs at 60 degrees max at 5.0 24/7 OC delidded.

You having any funny business with the 1080s? I did my testing today and half my games run worse or the same. Some games like Rocket League or GTA5 didn't get above 30FPS but other games like Planet Coaster, Doom, Tomb Raider would get above 120FPS. I think its driver or some runtime environment I'm missing but for the life of me can't figure it out. Any ideas? Most of the stuff I Googled were people claiming a CPU bottleneck or upping the resolution but I'm running 3.5k/1440p with an i7 there isn't much more I can do there.
MXS Cares
Hi Im Skyqe

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

Pumaxcs wrote:
Hi Im Skyqe wrote:

You having any funny business with the 1080s? I did my testing today and half my games run worse or the same. Some games like Rocket League or GTA5 didn't get above 30FPS but other games like Planet Coaster, Doom, Tomb Raider would get above 120FPS. I think its driver or some runtime environment I'm missing but for the life of me can't figure it out. Any ideas? Most of the stuff I Googled were people claiming a CPU bottleneck or upping the resolution but I'm running 3.5k/1440p with an i7 there isn't much more I can do there.
My watercooled PC is dead.. I got a bad o-ring on one of the CPU block fittings and it ended up leaking then fried everything..

Overall while I had SLI, I found that SLI driver support for the 10 series is terrible for some games scaling wise but never had a issue like you are describing.. Did you try putting it back on single card to see if the issue persists? Have you gotten any weird errors when you installed anything? I would try sweeping the Nvidia drivers and start fresh.
Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

Hi Im Skyqe wrote:
Pumaxcs wrote:
Hi Im Skyqe wrote:

My watercooled PC is dead.. I got a bad o-ring on one of the CPU block fittings and it ended up leaking then fried everything..

Overall while I had SLI, I found that SLI driver support for the 10 series is terrible for some games scaling wise but never had a issue like you are describing.. Did you try putting it back on single card to see if the issue persists? Have you gotten any weird errors when you installed anything? I would try sweeping the Nvidia drivers and start fresh.
Oh thats a bummer.

So I think I found my root cause but yeah it does seem to be driver/game related. What helped me find my real issue is when I bought 3DMark as a last ditch because I knew I could look at tons of videos and others stats to find a hardware issue or if it was actually software. When I first started it wouldn't even launch and auto cancel. After searching 3rd party apps that would have overlays or monitoring could interfere so I stopped all of my RGB control apps (NZXT, GSkill, Corsair, Gigabyte, EVGA) and now it could launch and after doing FireStrike Extreme and Time Spy my results were at about were they should be. Went through some games (ARK, Dirt Rally, GTAV, Middle Earth, Rocket League, Total War, Overwatch) and my average frame time was better but still a noticeable hit in stuttering. Disabled SLI and went through all the above again, 3DMark once again as expected but the games hurt. The method here will be (Game single avg fps/SLI avg fps) so (ARK 38/45, Dirt Rally 92/129, GTAV 71/63, Middle Earth 89/120, Rocket League 150/135, Total War 55/75, Overwatch 65/80) so most cases I did better and overall way better from yesterday (found the GTA benchmark I averaged 35fps with 0% frames below 16ms in 2 passes). I'll ride it out for a little bit but as it sits right now this may be the last SLI venture I take. The gain in 5-20FPS isn't worth the doubled frame time stutter it causes. With HWMonitor it seems single GPU usage is 100% and CPU is 60-80% but with SLI both GPU's are around 40-50% unless optimized around 50-75% and CPU 60-70%. No idea what the deal is.

Also with the amount of benchmark I got in the GPU's never did throttle but did hit 80C so I may see about getting more fans in but I will definitely be switching CPU to top intake as multiple times it got above 75C and during 3DMark up to 90C.
MXS Cares
Hi Im Skyqe

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

Pumaxcs wrote:
Hi Im Skyqe wrote:
Pumaxcs wrote:

Oh thats a bummer.

So I think I found my root cause but yeah it does seem to be driver/game related. What helped me find my real issue is when I bought 3DMark as a last ditch because I knew I could look at tons of videos and others stats to find a hardware issue or if it was actually software. When I first started it wouldn't even launch and auto cancel. After searching 3rd party apps that would have overlays or monitoring could interfere so I stopped all of my RGB control apps (NZXT, GSkill, Corsair, Gigabyte, EVGA) and now it could launch and after doing FireStrike Extreme and Time Spy my results were at about were they should be. Went through some games (ARK, Dirt Rally, GTAV, Middle Earth, Rocket League, Total War, Overwatch) and my average frame time was better but still a noticeable hit in stuttering. Disabled SLI and went through all the above again, 3DMark once again as expected but the games hurt. The method here will be (Game single avg fps/SLI avg fps) so (ARK 38/45, Dirt Rally 92/129, GTAV 71/63, Middle Earth 89/120, Rocket League 150/135, Total War 55/75, Overwatch 65/80) so most cases I did better and overall way better from yesterday (found the GTA benchmark I averaged 35fps with 0% frames below 16ms in 2 passes). I'll ride it out for a little bit but as it sits right now this may be the last SLI venture I take. The gain in 5-20FPS isn't worth the doubled frame time stutter it causes. With HWMonitor it seems single GPU usage is 100% and CPU is 60-80% but with SLI both GPU's are around 40-50% unless optimized around 50-75% and CPU 60-70%. No idea what the deal is.

Also with the amount of benchmark I got in the GPU's never did throttle but did hit 80C so I may see about getting more fans in but I will definitely be switching CPU to top intake as multiple times it got above 75C and during 3DMark up to 90C.
You have something up there... Scaling wasn't that bad with SLI 1080's for me... I was getting much higher frames than that.

To start with try comparing your Firestrike results to these to see if it is indeed running the same speeds I was..

Stock:
OC:

If you are getting up to 80c on those Hybrids then something is drastically wrong.. I benched mine for hours and never ever would it go above 55c...

I would almost recommend doing a clean install of Windows if you are having these kind of issues.. I had this stuttering you are referencing at one point on a PC and the only way to fix it was a fresh install..
Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

Oh shit. A 38123 Graphics score? Well that is an issue. My Graphics score was 20079. Now that I'm looking closer not sure how I didn't immediately see that something was up with my scores.

What motherboard did you have? I have a Gigabyte Gaming 5 but SLI capable with x8.

I also just did a fresh install because I bought a 960 Evo. From what I read on the motherboard it should be using one of the x4 PCI lanes or the Sata 10GB lanes. You don't think it has anything to do with it?

Its late tonight but I'll try a reinstall and see where that gets me.
MXS Cares
Hi Im Skyqe

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

Do a run in regular fire strike. You are in extreme.
Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

So, quick update. TLDR it works now.

I went through a hardware check first, chkdsk, memtest, etc. everything passed flying colors. I tried games again somehow its getting worse with frames/stutter and now including artifacts and crashing. I was never able to start another Firestrike benchmark. I reseated everything and decided I would also swap the top fans to intake (great suggestion btw more later) and that is when I found my GPU fans not spinning. The way I routed the cables for the fans to to be in push meant I needed a 3 pin extension, I had two so not a big deal. What was a big deal and something I forgot until I saw the fans not spinning which then hit me like a truck, they were low voltage adapters. My fans did not have enough to start but had enough to maintain once they got going, however if after going it goes back to idle speeds it cuts off again. This would explain the radical temps/pump/fan readings I was getting because I thought once I started them things were fine. Unfortunately it did not solve my FPS issues and I still had terrible stutters with artifacting, plus side temps do not get above 60C for either CPU or GPU.

Last night I reloaded OS and currently only have the NVMe drive connected, ran windows updates and Steam to begin testing again. Night/Day differences. Firestrike working again, artifacts and stutter gone, frames in all the games I've tested in Ultra/1440p have been 120-150+ average.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12658805
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12658884
MXS Cares
Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

So sometime the weekend I'll go through driver/software one by one to see which one botched me up so bad but for now things are the way it should be. Thanks Peter
MXS Cares
Racing299
Team: Flex Factory Racing

Post by Racing299 »

Okay, so my PC was having issues with going into a boot loop. I soon found out it wasn't reading Ram slots 2 and 4. I thought no big deal and just used 1 and 3. After a few months, the lack of ram was bottlenecking higher demanding things. I tried a new mobo, cpu, and ram (CPU was the last thing replaced). On replacing the CPU, it would only boot with 1 ram stick. I unplugged it from power and shorted the battery terminal on the mobo, that gave me the second ram stick back. Its still not reading 2 and 4 though. I'm out of ideas.
dbaum25moto wrote:
MaicoBreako wrote:Plus it has a horn.
That horn is the greatest technological achievement by any manufacturer in the history of offroad motorcycling. My bike is super quiet, allowing me to sneak up behind my friends and scare the shit out of them.