First Person Revision

Post your suggestions here
Barbo
Team: Privateer

First Person Revision

Post by Barbo »

So I'm sure this has been brought up a few times, but that's okay.

I started playing back in 2013 and have only been a casual player up until recently.
When I started play Sim I forced myself to learn 1st person over 3rd. It made the game more enjoyable for me personally.

I never saw it as an issue until recently now that I've started to get a little bit more competitive.

90% of the guys I play with all play in 3rd person, and they are quite fast. Some of the best amateurs in the game I'd say as well as a couple pros.
It's hard not to notice that the majority plays in 3rd person for a reason. It just seems to have the advantage over 1st person. Most of the guys can't even play 1st person at all after playing 3rd without getting a headache or dizzy.

I know that both "views" have pro's and con's over one another. But I along with many others, even most of the 3rd person guys would agree that 3rd has the advantage over 1st.

I'll list a few things that I think gives the major advantage and what I feel like should be revised to make a more level playing field for the two styles.

#1. The major advantage of seeing your surroundings/opponents easier, clearer and sooner.
#2. The field of view for whats ahead. (Jumps. downed people, upcoming corners on the other side of hills, etc.)
#3. The MAJOR speed factor between the two. 3rd is almost like slo-motion compared to 1st
#4. The amount of screen shake/jarring. In 3rd person, just the bike/rider is moving when hitting bumps/jumps VS, 1st the ENTIRE screen moves.
#5. The ability to watch and keep better control of the ENTIRE bike (Rear end, sides, suspension). Other than just the front wheel.

I know this will be argued by many, and I know there is probably quite a few more things some could add to this list. BUT I feel in my opinion that these things could be revised to help balance the two. Here are some ideas/suggestions that I have in my head to help level the playing field.

For #1. Maybe add some type of a "mirror" option that could be used by a key/button. That way it's not ALWAYS there, but could be set up to a button OR key and while riding could be used to check behind you from time to time. (Just like looking back) If the idea of a "mirror" in a motocross game doesn't sit well. Maybe even just have the screen flip from front to back as if you were just turning your head around to check behind you.

#2. I don't really have a solution for this. Considering if you're riding first person, you're obviously going to be lower to the ground. Therefore it's just something to live with. Which is fine. Just wanted to point out the advantage.

#3. The speed I feel like should def be adjusted. I feel like either it should be slowed down a bit in 1st person OR it should be adjusted in 3rd to give the same feel as one another. The fact that people get headaches while riding in first because everything is moving so fast makes it clear that there is a large difference between the two.

#4. The screen jarring on even just mildly rough tracks is just ridiculous compared to 3rd person. Something should be done to reduce the amount of jarring the screen is doing. I know that it's a game, but hell this game in 1st person rides MUCH rougher than real life riding. Making it much harder to see and keep up with what's going on. I really feel like it should be revised to smooth it out even just a little bit. ONLY the bike and rider moves in 3rd, I feel that is very much unbalanced.

#5. This is another like #2 I can't think of a solution to this considering you can't feel in a game like you can in a real life situation. So it's just a part of playing in 1st person that I'm not sure could be fixed or revised. Just another disadvantage compared to third. ( Which obviously in 1st person you have the advantage over 3rd of seeing the front wheel all the time.) BUT none of the rest of the bike.

ONCE again, I know there will be disagreements on the advantages on the two different views and I'm not here whining. BUT these are just things that I feel could be changed without hurting the game in anyway. I'm going to continue to play in 1st person, as I stated before it makes the game a lot more enjoyable for myself. BUT I do think it should be looked over. For all of the guys that LOVE the 1st person the way it is, it could be set as an option for you in the graphics settings. You could toggle off "head balancing" OR " Speed Control" etc etc.

One other thing that I think would be really interesting is for a way for 1st person or 3rd to be stuck in either position and to be monitored. (Sorry I can't really think of how to say it.) BUT another words have to to where if someone hosts a race they can put the view for EVERYONE in the race to be the same. EITHER 1st person view OR 3rd person view. This way series could be held for different playing styles to level out the playing field further. For example you could run a "1st Person Outdoors Series" for 1st person riders only. OR do the same for 3rd person riders as well. I think that would be a super fun addition to the game that could really add a variety of racing.

Anyways, feel free to discuss here what you think or any other suggestions you might have.

Thanks!
Jarrett "Coyote"
All.moto

Re: First Person Revision

Post by All.moto »

Yes, each has pros and each has cons but how does 3rd have an advantage? In first you can see your front end and place it where you want, as where on 3rd person you cant see your front end.
All.moto

Post by All.moto »

Yes, each has pros and each has cons but how does 3rd have an advantage? In first you can see your front end and place it where you want, as where on 3rd person you cant see your front end.
Dumbbelly29
Crushed Dissenter

Post by Dumbbelly29 »

10/10 would ride in 3rd person again... though I completely agree with the screen shake crap... the rider head needs to be way less rigid, if you hit any kind of bump irl you soak it up with the bike/your body and keep your head forward, also maybe keep the rider head at a certain angle to the ground instead of the bike? So when you're hitting an uphill triple the rider looks up more and you don't have to guess when the lip is coming (HINT HINT SNAPDICK STEP UP)
MX|VISUALS

Post by MX|VISUALS »

i only play in first person, and find the bouncing around of the camera good because you can tell what the bike is doing. If it absorbed all movement, you cant tell how the bike setup needs to be adjusted. I think alot of these issues can be adjusted using the camera settings.
eblock_15

Post by eblock_15 »

I agree with this I play in 3rd person because I grew up playing games like Reflex in 3rd person I wish I could ride fast in 1st but I can't but both have pros and cons
I am the one and only Larry Lawn Dart, if you see me on the track I will probably be on the ground - Eli Block
Barbo

Post by Barbo »

All.moto wrote:Yes, each has pros and each has cons but how does 3rd have an advantage? In first you can see your front end and place it where you want, as where on 3rd person you cant see your front end.
You are right and I stated that in the post.
BUT in my opinion, that's really the only main advantage that 1st has over 3rd.

MX|VISUALS wrote:i only play in first person, and find the bouncing around of the camera good because you can tell what the bike is doing. If it absorbed all movement, you cant tell how the bike setup needs to be adjusted. I think a lot of these issues can be adjusted using the camera settings.
I agree, I don't think the rider shake should be completely gone. BUT I do think it should be toned down to an extent. Like Dumbelly29 stated, in real life the bike, body, legs absorb most of the hits. While your head tends to stay more balanced. It's just too stiff in sim. :(
Jarrett "Coyote"
sethiemeboi
Crushed Dissenter
Team: VlastMX

Post by sethiemeboi »

All.moto wrote:In first you can see your front end and place it where you want, as where on 3rd person you cant see your front end.
People always say exactly this but it's just not true. You can still very easily see your front end in 3rd, and place it where ever you want with no issues, unless you just suck at 3rd person and are looking for excuses.
02RR02
Team: JNR Motorsports

Post by 02RR02 »

Barbo wrote: #1. The major advantage of seeing your surroundings/opponents easier, clearer and sooner.
It`s an advantage, but also a disadvantage since it`s easier to distract you if you have an opponent right behind you pushing.
Barbo wrote: #2. The field of view for whats ahead. (Jumps. downed people, upcoming corners on the other side of hills, etc.)
Also an advantage, but a disadvantage if someone hasn`t set the wall behind the stargate in the right lenght behind if I`m pointing out examples.
Barbo wrote: #3. The MAJOR speed factor between the two. 3rd is almost like slo-motion compared to 1st
Lower your FOV and it will feel like your riding slower :P
Barbo wrote: #4. The amount of screen shake/jarring. In 3rd person, just the bike/rider is moving when hitting bumps/jumps VS, 1st the ENTIRE screen moves.
Annoying as F, but it`s the way for us 1st person players to understand how the bike is behaving.
Barbo wrote: #5. The ability to watch and keep better control of the ENTIRE bike (Rear end, sides, suspension). Other than just the front wheel.
After you`re been playing 1st person for a while, you`ll figure out how the rear behave for some reason

I would say that both of them have different pros and cons.
AUS_yzman
Team: AUS

Post by AUS_yzman »

Id love some sort of radar or lean indicator style shading when someone is close behind showing which side they about to pass in 1st person . That would be a huge help to level the playing field between 1st person and 3rd
Clone5877

Post by Clone5877 »

AUS_yzman wrote:Id love some sort of radar or lean indicator style shading when someone is close behind showing which side they about to pass in 1st person . That would be a huge help to level the playing field between 1st person and 3rd
Big no lol
Crushed Dissenter

Post by 808 »

AUS_yzman wrote:Id love some sort of radar or lean indicator style shading when someone is close behind showing which side they about to pass in 1st person . That would be a huge help to level the playing field between 1st person and 3rd
just like real life!
James_122 wrote:The old folks home should limit you fossils on how much internet time you get a day. Hopefully they mashed your turkey meat up enough so you can chew it.
FlyinHigh

Post by FlyinHigh »

808 wrote:
just like real life!
The thing is tho we can't look around us like IRL to see where someone is. I've been suspended in the past all because I couldn't see where someone was that was about to lap me and takeouts get judged in 3rd person. I'll take people out without ever knowing I did because I have no way to see. Obviously some controls to look around would be most ideal, but there's a definite competitive advantage 3rd person players have.