Whats your pc?

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Re: Whats your pc?

Post by Pumaxcs »

Do you feel the 8 FPS when playing? I know loading/menu screens don't normally have a high FPS.
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
Harveybunny123

Post by Harveybunny123 »

i'm running a mid 2015 Macbook pro, 15-inch Retina display. 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7.

i run the sim through an old wine bottle (i have no clue how i got it to work). i know that a mac isnt brilliant to run this but it works well enough for me :)
enduro is better than motocross :mrgreen:
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

Think it may finally be time to upgrade my PC. When I built it in summer 2012 I said I wanted it to last at least 4 years, now over 5 years and I couldn't be happier with how it's held up. Can still play almost every game with maxed graphics but I peg 100% usage across all 3 cards and pretty high temps, fps hasn't been unplayable yet. Mostly just having the fans run at 100 all the time is just getting annoying, plus there's some situations where I'd like to have more than 4GB VRam.

Comparing my 3930k (at 4.0) to what I would replace it with i9 7900x (also looked at the threadripper 1950x) I don't think there's a large enough of a performance gap for what I do to warrant it. All rendering in Blender I do through Cuda, and besides maybe PS operations or games the only high CPU intensive task is rendering videos which isn't very often.

I think my plan may be to get a 1080Ti, a new case, and do a custom water loop for the CPU and GPU and upgrade my storage (currently have a 128GB SSD, a Raid 0 array with 2 500GB WD Caviar Blacks from 2009, and a 2TB WD Caviar Green for storage). I'm close to capacity on the SSD and the array.
Would like to get a 2nd Caviar Green for Raid 1 for safety on the storage, maybe a fast 256GB SSD for Windows and a few programs, and 2 2TB regular drives in Raid 0 for all other apps and games (would replace my current Raid 0 array, I just need more space).

I thought about 2 1080Ti's but found some game benchmarks and the scaling is terrible unless at 4k, and even then seems largely game dependent. I don't do enough rendering in Blender anymore to warrant getting the extra just for that use either. Comparing some Blender benchmarks I found for the 1080Ti a few are very similar to my current 3x 670's, and some were a good amount faster. And after all, I'm still at 1920x1200 resolution!

Right now I'm at 16GB 2133 RAM, only time I would max out is large PSD's in PS and have Blender going at the same time. Messed around with some of the settings in Photoshop and I have to have a lot open to max it out now, so that will probably stay the same too.

I've always wanted to do a custom water cooling loop, and have a large full tower case. I just think it's a good time to do this where I don't have to do a totally new build by saving on the CPU and motherboard. GPU performance has increased a lot since 2012, CPU not as much.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

I agree on going single card 1080Ti. I own 1080 SLI and don't regret it but its not worth it (I think in towers filling space looks better, worst excuse ever) performance wise. CPU performance hasn't increase a ton over the years but, motherboard features have and that's something I would check. I don't know off the top of my head right now what the platform had but I'd compare some of those stats over CPU speeds. Your storage needs sound pretty crazy, you'd want to keep enthusiast class if you do upgrade for the amount of SATA channels you'll need, and make sure a case has enough options as most cases are moving away from drive cages.
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
yzmxer608

Post by yzmxer608 »

Good point on the motherboard features, I'll have to look into that more. Right now I'm on x79 (Rampage IV Formula).

I've also thought about forgoing the internal Raid 1 array (keeping storage 1 drive) and doing a DAS array in Raid 1 instead for safety. Right now I have an external drive I manually backup to every so often, but if I could have a DAS I could schedule backups to that might be easier.

Unless mechanical drive speeds have increased a fair amount since then, I'd like to do the Raid 0 again, but I might check into 2 mechanical drive prices vs. a large SSD. I definitely wouldn't be against 1 SSD but last time I looked at 2TB capacity the prices were well over $500. Right now I'm at about 750GB on it, and that's after uninstalling some Steam games to make room.

Then again I could just do 1 SSD at the 2TB capacity and only use 2 drives total (SSD for OS and all programs, my current 2TB for storage). I originally did the 1 SSD and 2 mechanical drive array because SSD's were still fairly new at that time and pricey, and I had the 2 identical model drives already.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
DBRider251
Team: Elevated Motorsports

Post by DBRider251 »

Getting a new motherboard would allow M.2 to become a factor in the SSD question. A 500gb M.2 is only around $160 right now. A SATA SSD is around $10-15 less, but I think anyone who has switched from SATA to M.2 would agree it's better. If data transfer speed is a must at least.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:it's all the liberals fault
Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

I upgraded for M.2. My old boot drive (Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD) is now a primary game drive. My 2TB Black is primary storage/games. My M.2 (Samsung 950 EVO 250GB) is boot/programs. I really do like my M.2 but for the Z270 chipset the SATA lanes are limited so I really don't have room for more drives as the M.2 uses PCI (stretched already with SLI) and my motherboard shared SATA10 and SATA6 connections (SATA 10 uses the M.2 PCI lanes just a different connector, shared lanes.) so I'm only left with 4 SATA6 connectors. Enough, but fast drives take up alot on the mainstream chipset because of the shared lanes everything has.) I also think that depending on your drives age, not much has changed in mechanical speed, but size/price is insanely cheap. This may be the most confusing thing I have ever typed so I can redo this if needed. lol

None of my data to me is worth backing up, my PC is solely entertainment purposes so worst case I lose a game save or game recording. Anything important I do have backed up to 1TB NAS. For me the fast drives for primary use with the large mechanical as overflow/catchall works and there is a difference between my M.2 and HDD definitely but I don't feel dragged down by it.
MXS Cares
SMR 510RR
Team: Privateer

Post by SMR 510RR »

Pumaxcs wrote:I upgraded for M.2. My old boot drive (Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD) is now a primary game drive. My 2TB Black is primary storage/games. My M.2 (Samsung 950 EVO 250GB) is boot/programs. I really do like my M.2 but for the Z270 chipset the SATA lanes are limited so I really don't have room for more drives as the M.2 uses PCI (stretched already with SLI) and my motherboard shared SATA10 and SATA6 connections (SATA 10 uses the M.2 PCI lanes just a different connector, shared lanes.) so I'm only left with 4 SATA6 connectors. Enough, but fast drives take up alot on the mainstream chipset because of the shared lanes everything has.) I also think that depending on your drives age, not much has changed in mechanical speed, but size/price is insanely cheap. This may be the most confusing thing I have ever typed so I can redo this if needed. lol

None of my data to me is worth backing up, my PC is solely entertainment purposes so worst case I lose a game save or game recording. Anything important I do have backed up to 1TB NAS. For me the fast drives for primary use with the large mechanical as overflow/catchall works and there is a difference between my M.2 and HDD definitely but I don't feel dragged down by it.
Do you have any off site backups for the stuff you do care about? I have been using Amazon Glacier for Work and home use and it is awesome and cheap! I have Synology NASes at both locations and there is a built in app to backup to Glacier. I have a few TB worth of backups at both locations and its like $3-5 per month depending on how much I backup during that time period. Super inexpensive. Haven't had to retrieve any data yet since I have local backups as well so I can't say how that experience is but for the price I think it is hard to beat.
Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

No, I've never had any need for anything past FreeNAS. My data is pretty disposable, even if FreeNAS failed me I wouldn't be devastated.

I have had to deal with Amazon Web Services at work, I imagine they are similar and the times I've needed them they have came through.
MXS Cares
Hi Im Skyqe
Team: wat

Post by Hi Im Skyqe »

DBRider251 wrote:Getting a new motherboard would allow M.2 to become a factor in the SSD question. A 500gb M.2 is only around $160 right now. A SATA SSD is around $10-15 less, but I think anyone who has switched from SATA to M.2 would agree it's better. If data transfer speed is a must at least.
He would have to go the route of new CPU, memory and motherboard then.

X79 does not support NVME M.2, you don't have the option to swap a X99 mobo with the SB-E CPU.
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

What are pci-e lanes? How do they work? Could I have an m.2 with a 8700k? Want one buy they're out of stock :(
yzmxer608

Post by yzmxer608 »

Hi Im Skyqe wrote:
DBRider251 wrote:Getting a new motherboard would allow M.2 to become a factor in the SSD question. A 500gb M.2 is only around $160 right now. A SATA SSD is around $10-15 less, but I think anyone who has switched from SATA to M.2 would agree it's better. If data transfer speed is a must at least.
He would have to go the route of new CPU, memory and motherboard then.

X79 does not support NVME M.2, you don't have the option to swap a X99 mobo with the SB-E CPU.
Yeah that's why I didn't want to go that route.
Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

Posted today, what luck. Not an exact match but close enough to get an idea of what an upgrade would bring. Once again, unless you are going for faster storage, I wouldn't upgrade.

Wahlamt wrote:What are pci-e lanes? How do they work? Could I have an m.2 with a 8700k? Want one buy they're out of stock :(
PCI is what you would primarily know as the GPU slots. They are a general lane that any type of add in card can use, GPU, network, storage, anything needing a high Input/Output. The main reason for the switch was that SATA speeds were outpaced by the drives. Two different standards tried to correct this which is why we now have SATA10 and PCI. They are the same speed (SATA 3.0 is 600MB/s and SATA 3.2 is 1GB/s. Hence SATA6 for 600MB and SATA10 for 1000MB. These are revisions, not to be confused with SATA3 300MB/s as that was SATA 2.0) but different connectors, form factors and drive controllers to do the job. I'm slightly fuzzy on the newer details as I don't follow near as close as I did but I believe this new revision is also called SATA Express because of the joint PCI compatibility for SATA10 for the NVMe drives and M.2 is simply the next standard connector. The split being SATA10 will be more business/server driven with compatibility of SATA6 for legacy things and SATA10 future in the same connector while M.2 will be consumer/prebuilt to allow smaller form factors.
MXS Cares
yzmxer608

Post by yzmxer608 »

That's funny how close the situation matches :lol:. I agree, I want more storage not just raw speed, and like I said I just don't do enough CPU intensive tasks anymore to warrant a whole upgrade right now. Time to start researching cases and watercooling supplies... :mrgreen:
Ddavis

Post by Ddavis »

You guys droll over nerdy PC specs like straight dudes do over trying to get pussy.