FPS issues with Erode on. Need some help

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
newmanb138
Team: United

FPS issues with Erode on. Need some help

Post by newmanb138 »

So it seems as if it is a pretty widespread problem(although maybe not), but with erode on, my FPS goes bananas, bouncing from 125fps to 70ish. Prior to erode I was able to run maxed out game settings on 2K with no issues whatsoever running 125fps. Is there a common fix/solution to the issue? If there isn't a common fix, this is my setup.
My Computer is-
i5 4670K 3.4GHz(OC'ed to 3.8GHZ)
ASUS ROG Strix GTX1070
8gb Ram
Is it possible my CPU is what is bottle necking the game with erode on? Have been looking to upgrade to an i7 7700K for a while now just didn't want to spend the money. But if it will solve my issues I may go ahead and do it.

Also just as an FYI, I have turned ALL my Nvidia settings down, and also tried to lower the game settings drastically. Neither of those helped other than making the graphics awful in game. I still had the crazy FPS issues. That is what has me wondering if #1 my CPU just cant handle erode, or #2 my CPU is taking a poop on me.
motokid499
Team: Phil's

Re: FPS issues with Erode on. Need some help

Post by motokid499 »

The problem is how inconsistent the fps is. Other games I play it will hover around 30-40 fps for example and look wayyyy smoother than mxs even if mxs is bouncing from 125fps. Mxs has a much wider fps range I find, ranging from 125-20 constantly bouncing all around between those two numbers which just causes terrible jitters. I assumed it was because of motion blur but even after disabling motion blur in my other games it still looks much smoother than mxs

I'm not sure if fps consistency is something that can be fixed with code or if you need a new game engine. Dont know the behind the scenes steps necessary to fix it.
Tanner Rogers
motokid499

Post by motokid499 »

DP, I find in most situations turning your Nvidia settings UP actually helps performance of mxs. My computer seems to think mxs is this super easy application to run and doesn't dedicate many resources to it, so if you have your Nvidia settings higher for mxs then it almost forces your GPU to ramp up a bit more. My gpu doesn't even boost past idle clock half the time for mxs lmao
Tanner Rogers
barrington314
Team: me

Post by barrington314 »

motokid499 wrote:ranging from 125-20 constantly bouncing all around between those two numbers which just causes terrible jitters.
Isn't that what vsync is for? To lock it at 60?
newmanb138

Post by newmanb138 »

barrington314 wrote:
motokid499 wrote:ranging from 125-20 constantly bouncing all around between those two numbers which just causes terrible jitters.
I've heard yes, and i've also heard no. So not real sure what to believe. When I turned vsync on, my fps dropped to 30.. . :shock:
JLV, any ideas?
Bubba40
Team: Kyb/Enzo

Post by Bubba40 »

newmanb138 wrote:So it seems as if it is a pretty widespread problem(although maybe not), but with erode on, my FPS goes bananas, bouncing from 125fps to 70ish. Prior to erode I was able to run maxed out game settings on 2K with no issues whatsoever running 125fps. Is there a common fix/solution to the issue? If there isn't a common fix, this is my setup.
My Computer is-
ASUS ROG Strix GTX1070
8gb Ram
Is it possible my CPU is what is bottle necking the game with erode on? Have been looking to upgrade to an i7 7700K for a while now just didn't want to spend the money. But if it will solve my issues I may go ahead and do it.

Also just as an FYI, I have turned ALL my Nvidia settings down, and also tried to lower the game settings drastically. Neither of those helped other than making the graphics awful in game. I still had the crazy FPS issues. That is what has me wondering if #1 my CPU just cant handle erode, or #2 my CPU is taking a poop on me.
Same problem i'm having if you find a fix please post it.
Lnxa
Crushed Dissenter
Team: Privateer

Post by Lnxa »

Bubba40 wrote:
newmanb138 wrote:So it seems as if it is a pretty widespread problem(although maybe not), but with erode on, my FPS goes bananas, bouncing from 125fps to 70ish. Prior to erode I was able to run maxed out game settings on 2K with no issues whatsoever running 125fps. Is there a common fix/solution to the issue? If there isn't a common fix, this is my setup.
My Computer is-
ASUS ROG Strix GTX1070
8gb Ram

Download Msi Afterburner and make sure your gpu isn't running at idle speed when sim is open, I know someone who had the problem of his pc not recognizing sim was open so his gpu stayed at the idle clock speed. My idle clock speed is 873 MHz and it goes to 1503 MHz when playing sim.
[center][b]|[/b] 2013 EMF MX1 Champion - 3x rF 450 MX Champion ('15/'16/'17) [b]|[/b]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/Lnxamxs]Youtube[/url] [url=https://www.twitch.tv/lnxa]Twitch[/url]
"I hit my desk too hard again and my game crashed" -Rush[/center]
[img]https://yip.su/1w7sq7[/img]
Jakob Hubbard

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

My Pc Settings go like this:
AMD Athlon x4 860k 3.7GHz Quad Core Processor
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
16GB Ram.

Even without erode my processor seems to take a poo when I have a lot of people in the server. For example, 2017 nats I would have to run 64x64 texture res and low model textures and etc. Still I'd only hover around 70fps.

During Anaheim 1 with the erode, I was hovering around 50fps. But it wasn't a consistent smooth 50fps. It would fluctuate a lot. I had downloaded the low res version of the track and was running 128x128 texture res with low model textures. Somehow still getting inconsistent and very low fps.

I'm just dumbfounded that all these people say upgrade your potato pc yet my specs are really not bad at all. I just think it's the game being poorly optimized (not saying it's fully jlv's fault). I think this game overall just needs a whole update dedicated to optimization.

Just my 2 cents.
motokid499

Post by motokid499 »

barrington314 wrote:
Vsync doesn't lock your fps, it syncs your fps with your monitors refresh rate. It basically makes your GPU hold the frame until your monitor is ready to display it without tearing. Makes games look incredibly smooth at the cost of response time. Because your GPU has to buffer until the monitor is ready, you end up seeing the frame way later than you should.

Having a laggy/skippy framerate sucks, but having 20ms+ display input lag is even worse. If you have crap fps and don't use vsync, the visual feedback you are getting is still being displayed at 1ms response, which still gives a competitive player the edge over a 25ms delayed smooth framerate.
Tanner Rogers
newmanb138

Post by newmanb138 »

Lnxa wrote:
Bubba40 wrote:
My Computer is-
ASUS ROG Strix GTX1070
8gb Ram

Download Msi Afterburner and make sure your gpu isn't running at idle speed when sim is open, I know someone who had the problem of his pc not recognizing sim was open so his gpu stayed at the idle clock speed. My idle clock speed is 873 MHz and it goes to 1503 MHz when playing sim.
Yea, I have double checked that. My Idle is 139MHz and when I launch sim it jumps to 1633MHz which is my base clock so I believe I am good there. Just drives me nuts that I used to be able to play this with zero issues, now with erode it sucks to play with it so jittery. For instance the JGSX Tampa track, they decided to turn erode on in the server and boom, sim goes to shit.
RC_Pro97
Crushed Dissenter
Team: BellRoadRV.com

Post by RC_Pro97 »

Jakob Hubbard wrote:My Pc Settings go like this:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
16GB Ram.

Even without erode my processor seems to take a poo when I have a lot of people in the server. For example, 2017 nats I would have to run 64x64 texture res and low model textures and etc. Still I'd only hover around 70fps.

During Anaheim 1 with the erode, I was hovering around 50fps. But it wasn't a consistent smooth 50fps. It would fluctuate a lot. I had downloaded the low res version of the track and was running 128x128 texture res with low model textures. Somehow still getting inconsistent and very low fps.

I'm just dumbfounded that all these people say upgrade your potato pc yet my specs are really not bad at all. I just think it's the game being poorly optimized (not saying it's fully jlv's fault). I think this game overall just needs a whole update dedicated to optimization.

Just my 2 cents.
I agree. Thats why i0m fighting to run erode cause the game engine or it being not optimized correctly hurts for everybody even with good pc specs
MY WORLD, YOUR WORLD,......... OUR WORLD!!!
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

newmanb138 wrote:
barrington314 wrote:
I've heard yes, and i've also heard no. So not real sure what to believe. When I turned vsync on, my fps dropped to 30.. . :shock:
JLV, any ideas?
Vsync will make the frame time be a multiple of your monitor refresh rate. So the fastest will be 1/60 seconds per frame (60 fps), then 2/60 (30 fps), then 3/60 (20 fps), etc.
Jakob Hubbard wrote:My Pc Settings go like this:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
16GB Ram.

Just my 2 cents.
You PMed me about running out of memory right? If you have huge textures it doesn't just use a lot of memory, it also stresses the cache on the GPU which will slow things down. So lower texture resolution on the models might help. If the models have huge vertex counts with no LODs that will hurt too, but there isn't much you can do about that. Maybe I should make the "model detail under 10 hides models entirely" thing apply to the players as well?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Jakob Hubbard

Post by Jakob Hubbard »

jlv wrote: You PMed me about running out of memory right? If you have huge textures it doesn't just use a lot of memory, it also stresses the cache on the GPU which will slow things down. So lower texture resolution on the models might help. If the models have huge vertex counts with no LODs that will hurt too, but there isn't much you can do about that. Maybe I should make the "model detail under 10 hides models entirely" thing apply to the players as well?
But the thing is I'm downloading all the low res tracks and putting myself on low res settings during the race and still getting lag for some reason. And yes add the model detail thing please.
Tonimxer984
Team: TG Films

Post by Tonimxer984 »

If someone figures out graphics setting (both nvidia control panel and in-game) that are good for racing w/ erode please pm me!! Kinda desperate since I have never experienced this shitty stuttering that I have had on A1 that makes it impossible to play...
2016 EMF SX 250 Amateur Champion
Faltsu

Post by Faltsu »

Or reply here, i bought acer predator a year ago and it was really shitty in A1 even after turning graphics super low. Not really interested in buying new computer every year