Frame Stuttering

Post your questions here
Mook
Team: Privateer

Frame Stuttering

Post by Mook »

I have a desktop with a 970 and a laptop with a 1060. On both of them I am experiencing frame stuttering, regardless of the track that I am on. I have no problem at all with any other game I want to play. The most I have seen it use is 25% of my GPU. It stutters on all graphics settings I've tried, even after updating my drivers. There are moments when frames stutter badly, but it never truly feels like I'm getting a smooth 60 FPS. I have already tried turning off threaded optimization. Any idea of possible solutions?
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: Frame Stuttering

Post by jlv »

Try disabling demo recording. (It's off by default.) Don't run a really high setting for ground texture res.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Mook

Post by Mook »

I never turned on demo recording. I don't run really high setting for ground texture res. The stuttering occurs, even on the lowest settings.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Do you have any huge skins installed?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Mook

Post by Mook »

I have a couple bike skins and gear skins that I've slapped a number on, but not many. I have tested to see if it was them causing it, but even with the default skins equipped, I still have the framerate issue. It happens on both the original install and the newest snapshot.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

How slow are the skips? If you type /fpshist in the game's chat screen, what does it show?

Also, what does the driver info in the graphics setup screen say?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Mook

Post by Mook »

Driver Info:
NVIDIA Corporation
GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2
4.6.0 NVIDIA 399.07

FPS History after 3 laps:
128=27 64=165 32-8362 16=16 8=0 2=0 1=0
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Doesn't look like stuttering so much as just general slowness. A GTX 970 should average way better than 32 FPS. What CPU are you using?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Mook

Post by Mook »

I have an Intel Core i7-4790K; it runs at 4.00 GHz.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

That should be plenty. 30 FPS is around what you'd get from the integrated graphics on that CPU. Are you sure your Nvidia drivers aren't using the integrated GPU to save power? Depending on the version there's an option to control that in Nvidia control panel.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Mook

Post by Mook »

My NVIDIA drivers are already set to only use my 970.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Are you sure there aren't conflicting global/per app settings? Does it work if you start the game by right clicking and choosing "run with graphics processor / high performance nvidia processor"?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Mook

Post by Mook »

I do not have that option. I don't think I even have the drivers for the integrated GPU installed.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Check the "desktop" menu in nvidia control panel. You should be able to enable it there.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Mook

Post by Mook »

The only 3 options under Desktop are Add Desktop Context Menu, Show Notification Tray Icon, Display GPU Activity Icon in Notification Area. All of them are enabled and I still don't see the option to launch with the 970.