KTM's suck?

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
mack| spokes
Team: Onlyfansracing

Re: KTM's suck?

Post by mack| spokes »

My story isn't a mechanical but still a bad reflection on Yamaha, don't get me wrong i ride them so i'm not biased to another brand but i have a family friend who won the Australian enduro series on a privateer deal with Yamaha and as you would they raced again this year but only made it 5 rounds in retiring mid race because it wasn't worth it anymore, the deal she was on for 2017 was free bikes and a small amount of money come 2018 the deal remains the same but the pay check is sliced in half, after winning a title. After a little bit of back and forwards the decision was that it wasn't worth the already small amount they were paying as it wasn't reflecting well on there sales which is bullshit because almost everyone that has been coached or at least helped by her has bought a Yamaha they get tones of messages of people buying new bikes because they seen her ride one, bikes have always been the problem for them, fox has always used her for there women's advertisement.
jlv wrote: Either way, for a suicidal rampage it was pretty good.
MXSEMF
wilson213
Team: Privateer

Post by wilson213 »

Anyone have any experience on a 2014 ktm 350sxf? Thinking about picking one up soon
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

Manii might have. I know he got a 350 from around that era.
manii20

Post by manii20 »

Yeah I have 350 one... Wouldn't recommend it unless it's in perfect shape. Had tons of problems and wasted so much money on repairing it that I could of taken brand new kxf from the box...
AFinnestrand
Team: iPlayNaked

Post by AFinnestrand »

fight me, never had a problem with my KTM 125's sell them after so 40 h so i don't have to change the pistons or anything else and the price doesn't decrease too much after 40 h. never broke it either, they all have survived pretty nasty crashes too.
ColtHans

Post by ColtHans »

Back when i was on ktm 50's my clutch would always break, and it seemed like the bike would blow up every other weekend, but then for 65's made the switch to kawi..never any problems(still runs killer 5 yrs later..dont ride it tho lol) and now for 85's , on a kawi and never had one problem besides a piston seize at hangtown a few weeks ago.
Whiteracing204
Team: W.W. Designs Private

Post by Whiteracing204 »

Ive had Yamaha and ktms. I had a pw 50, yz 85, and 2 yz250fs. As for ktms I've had the ktm 50, 65, and 85. I had problems out of both of my ktm 50s and I know people now who have problems with their cobra 50s. 50s are trash to begin with and if you ever had a 50 that didnt break you weren't riding it fast enough. As for the ktm 65 and 85 we never had any big problems besides the silencer blowing off the 85 at the weld and then the motor letting go after 90 something hours on it. As for the yz 85 It seemed like we could never catch a break from that bike! It always had something wrong with it and it wouldn't ever stay in one piece! The Yz 250fs were probably the best bikes we've had but my friends have ktm 250Fs and they hold up very good. All in all a bike is going to have it's up's and down's it's all how you treat them as far as maintenance ( air filter cleaned every ride, oil changed every 3-4 hours, washed after every ride, chain lubed, and keeping up with hours to know when to change pistons and bottom ends.) and how your ride them also. I wouldn't recommend getting a used bike to anyone unless you can't afford a new bike or you know the people who owned it before and you trust them, but you dont know what problems they have had or what might still be wrong with it if it is used by a random person.
Lynch
Team: Atlas Technologies

Post by Lynch »

AFinnestrand wrote:fight me, never had a problem with my KTM 125's sell them after so 40 h so i don't have to change the pistons or anything else and the price doesn't decrease too much after 40 h. never broke it either, they all have survived pretty nasty crashes too.
You go 40 hours without changing piston?! You sure you found the throttle?
dawsonsleeper

Post by dawsonsleeper »

Lynch wrote:
AFinnestrand wrote:fight me, never had a problem with my KTM 125's sell them after so 40 h so i don't have to change the pistons or anything else and the price doesn't decrease too much after 40 h. never broke it either, they all have survived pretty nasty crashes too.
maybe idling. no way they last 40 hrs on race speed
jlv wrote:WTF I love Trump now! Make America great again!
AFinnestrand
Team: iPlayNaked

Post by AFinnestrand »

dawsonsleeper wrote:
Lynch wrote:
it's my training bike, not modified in any way except for an HGS exhaust, 40 hours on every piston, idling for a few minutes every training to warm it up, live in Norway so it can take awhile, then racing but i maintain the bike very often.
mxsisboss

Post by mxsisboss »

I've had every single brand out there pretty much, had a Malaguti 50 when I was 5, Husqvarna 50cc after, then a KX65, KX85, CRF150R, YZ125, RM125, KTM 250sx, and I've ridden RMZ 250's and CRF250's and an RM 250 2 stroke, my current bike is my KTM 250 2 stroke. I got it back in late 2014 and it is a 2011 model, I still have it for a few reasons, it's 2 stroke, sounds awesome and is easily one of the best bikes I have ridden.

It's one of the best bikes I have ridden because the motor is sooo so smooth on power deilvery and is a really "rideable" engine. It also handles amazing too, suspension is great, I still keep up with guys on 18 450's etc it just comes down to rider tbh unless you are at a very very top level, for 99% of us, even mid A riders like myself, it doesn't matter a whole bunch. These days I don't race so much but this bike is the most fun one I have ridden, whether your crusing a trail and just getting bike time in, or getting on the pipe wide open.

Good points:
Great engine, makes the RM 250 engine seem like a dog in terms of rideability, the RM 250 is more like a pressing a button, you have it all or you don't, the KTM engine is much more "4 stroke like" in terms of power deilvery, which makes it good to get traction with, this can be switched up using the different power valve springs, red spring is the hardest spring giving the smoothest power delivery, green is the softest spring, giving much harder power delivery and yellow is in the middle, personally I really like the red because I can be super aggresive on the throttle and get on the throttle earlier without losing traction, it just suits my riding style.

Suspension is fantastic, if you get it set right for your weight, get the sag set, get a good base setting and change it up from track to track, most the tracks I ride here in the UK are pretty similar so I don't have to make drastic changes in terms of stiffness/softness.

Handling:
Again this is great, its very nimble similar to Suzukis fabeled handling yet with strong useable engine.

Bad bits:
Can be a bit annoying to take apart as it has a lot of star bolts and the plastics all come together weirdly (I have the 2014 plastic kit with 2017 front end kit. But this is only minor inconvinience as I was used to japanese bikes where you strip a whole bike with an 8mm, 10mm and a 12mm.

Rear brake master cylinder will end up leaking eventually but it is pretty simple to rebuild, I have only had to rebuild it once in 4 years and it has been good since.

The factory exhuast on it cracked once just after the exhuast port and has since been replaced with a DEP one which has been good (touch wood!).

Vibrates a ton, When I first got this bike I struggled with hand cramps for 3 years really bad on it due to the sheer amount of vibration, this was mostly due to the fact I had Renthal twinwalls (stiffest bars on the planet) with one of the OEM single bar clamp that goes accross the bottom, the vibration is now much less now that I have FAT bars and the KTM PHDS bar mounts. THe bar mounts have a rubber/silicone insert around the bolt and its two individual clamps not one big one, this reduced hand cramps massively.

Overally this bike is a solid 9/10, Motor is amazing, maintence is easy handles like a dream. I still beat people on new 18 450s, its a big bore 2 stroke, sounds awesome and is fun as hell to ride, what more could you want.

Note: Out of all the brands I have had all the bikes are similar for me, good maintenance makes sure that they are reliable.

If I were buying a bike these days I would try all the brands and see which one I liked best because if you maintain it, it will be reliable.
cr500zd wrote:is there anyway that 500cc bikes will be put into the game?
jlv wrote:I'd say it will definitely happen at some point. Not any time soon though.
Lynch
Team: Atlas Technologies

Post by Lynch »

AFinnestrand wrote:
dawsonsleeper wrote:
Lynch wrote: You go 40 hours without changing piston?! You sure you found the throttle?
it's my training bike, not modified in any way except for an HGS exhaust, 40 hours on every piston, idling for a few minutes every training to warm it up, live in Norway so it can take awhile, then racing but i maintain the bike very often.
When I raced KTM/Husky 125s in enduro we did top ends every 15-20 hours, after that they were completely done :lol:
motokid499
Team: Phil's

Post by motokid499 »

I've had KTM's all my life growing up. My last KTM was my 125sx, which I had before finally switching to Yamaha with a yz250. Im not sure what it was that I was doing right, but the top ends lasted SO long on all my KTM's, but as mentioned I had little issues that kept screwing stuff up. The only issue mechanically I've ever had with the 125 though is the bottom end seizing on me, which I was planning on rebuilding after my next top end rebuild so I could do it at the same time, but KTM being KTM the top end outlasted the bottom end lol. Had zero issues with the Yamaha, thing was a bulletproof monster.
Tanner Rogers
mxsisboss

Post by mxsisboss »

motokid499 wrote:I've had KTM's all my life growing up. My last KTM was my 125sx, which I had before finally switching to Yamaha with a yz250. Im not sure what it was that I was doing right, but the top ends lasted SO long on all my KTM's, but as mentioned I had little issues that kept screwing stuff up. The only issue mechanically I've ever had with the 125 though is the bottom end seizing on me, which I was planning on rebuilding after my next top end rebuild so I could do it at the same time, but KTM being KTM the top end outlasted the bottom end lol. Had zero issues with the Yamaha, thing was a bulletproof monster.
The guy that builds my engines told me that KTM use a harder steel than jap bikes, he said always run KTM motors in for 5 hours, compared to the 3 hours you would on a jap bike and it'll do longer on top ends etc, half the time he had KTM's blown up come to him they only ran them in for 2-3 hours which according to him just isn't enough, guy was a master though anything you wanted done he could do it, dude builds speedway engines that don't use gaskets... just varnishes between the cases theyre that good.
cr500zd wrote:is there anyway that 500cc bikes will be put into the game?
jlv wrote:I'd say it will definitely happen at some point. Not any time soon though.