Erode status/update

Post your suggestions here
checkerz
Team: RaGe Factory

Re: Erode status/update

Postby checkerz » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:43 pm

jlv wrote:Are they around two feet apart? The game merges erode entries that are within a foot to save bandwidth. It usually averages out but at a high erode setting and small radius if they lined up the same way on consecutive runs they could reinforce instead.

It does it with a single rut.

jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Postby jlv » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:24 am

One rut would be in phase with itself by definition. But you didn't answer the question. Are they around 2 feet apart? Actually might be 1 foot. I'll have to double check the averaging code to be sure.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.

checkerz

Postby checkerz » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:43 pm

jlv wrote:One rut would be in phase with itself by definition. But you didn't answer the question. Are they around 2 feet apart? Actually might be 1 foot. I'll have to double check the averaging code to be sure.

Didn't realize if it did it with a single rut that the distance question applied. My bad.

I didn't have the track saved with the first erode, so I did some new passes. This is on the actual San Diego track, not with mud traction or any changed erode settings:

Hard to get a good picture because the erode is tough to see - again set at 4.0 and this is one of the straights that isn't getting much erode:

Here is the rhythm that erodes well each time:

As a test, I rotated the terrain 90 degrees and when and rode. What I found was pretty substantial IMO.

The sections that were eroding so poorly before, are now great:

The sections that were so great before, now are getting the bumpy, barely eroding stuff:

jlv
Site Admin

Postby jlv » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:33 am

Can you reduce this to a tiny test case? Which direction do you think is not working right?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.

checkerz

Postby checkerz » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:39 am

jlv wrote:Can you reduce this to a tiny test case? Which direction do you think is not working right?

I don't have a clue honestly.

I could create create a terrain with a section going every 15 degrees or something to test on? Would that be suitable?

I'm a bit tied up at the moment building east coast terrains and traveling to races for my real job, so not sure how much time I can devote to testing this, but can provide some type of terrain you need if you give me an idea what you need.

jlv
Site Admin

Postby jlv » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:31 am

Does it happen on flat ground? If you can get it down to "park in this direction and dump the clutch and it erode less than this other direction" it'll be easier to figure out.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com

Jeremy150
Team: MV Films

Postby Jeremy150 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:20 am

jlv wrote:Does it happen on flat ground? If you can get it down to "park in this direction and dump the clutch and it erode less than this other direction" it'll be easier to figure out.

Think I found the issue
I took off from all 8 directions, with these bales.

Jeremy150
Team: MV Films

Postby Jeremy150 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:29 am

DP
Changed the angle of the sun and got this.

checkerz

Postby checkerz » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:34 am

What would it take to simulate dirt density?

We can simulate the initial dig that way, but there isn't really a way to make the top "fluff" that you dig through fast to stay fluffy and not packed and affect the physics less than the deeper and more dug in stuff.

Return to “Suggestion Box”