Improving accuracy of snapping to face when doing banners???

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
D_ROY178

Improving accuracy of snapping to face when doing banners???

Post by D_ROY178 »

In the process of placing the continuous banners for ausnats. Because of the heavy elevation changes, it's rather tedious to adjust them to the terrain after applying the modifiers. Is there a way to increase the accuracy of the snapping to terrain or am I just being too precious? :D :D :D

aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Re: Improving accuracy of snapping to face when doing banners???

Post by aeffertz »

ColtonD719 wrote:Thanks for putting this together! It's interesting to see the different ways people tackle placing banners.

It seems like lining everything up vertically with the terrain could get pretty tedious. Snapping your curve to the terrain speeds things up a lot:

At this step:
aeffertz wrote:Time to adjust the dimensions to the size you want. I make the rF trackside banners 3.5 feet tall. That changes the scale to 1.75. So I will need to change the X scale to 1.75 as well to keep out dimensions correct.
Move your banner plane up by 1/2 of it's height. In this case, G>Z>1.75.

Then before this step:
aeffertz wrote:Select your curve and switch into edit mode. Grab one vertice and drag it to follow the track edge. Click 'E' to create a new vertice and get more accurate curvatures.
Turn on snapping by clicking the magnet icon at the bottom of the viewport. Next to that, choose Face, and next to that Closest. Image. Now when you move your curve vertices, they should automatically align to the height of the terrain.
aeffertz

Post by aeffertz »

Draw your path, then subdivide it a bunch before applying the modifier. Then set up the snapping like in my previous post. Then click on your path, press G, then press Z. Now you can apply your modifier and you shouldn't have to adjust the heights at all.

I should redo my tutorial.
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

aeffertz wrote:I should redo my tutorial.
Even..a video one? For us blender potatos...
D_ROY178

Post by D_ROY178 »

aeffertz wrote:Draw your path, then subdivide it a bunch before applying the modifier. Then set up the snapping like in my previous post. Then click on your path, press G, then press Z. Now you can apply your modifier and you shouldn't have to adjust the heights at all.

So basically the more points on the Bézier curve the better it’ll be?
aeffertz

Post by aeffertz »

D_ROY178 wrote:
aeffertz wrote:Draw your path, then subdivide it a bunch before applying the modifier. Then set up the snapping like in my previous post. Then click on your path, press G, then press Z. Now you can apply your modifier and you shouldn't have to adjust the heights at all.

So basically the more points on the Bézier curve the better it’ll be?
Yes, but you don’t need to manually make a bunch. Get the shape/path you need and then just subdivide it. I just make a path way above the terrain then once I got the turns I need, subdivide and then snap it down to the terrain.