Watch out for key stealing malware

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Watch out for key stealing malware

Post by jlv »

Some cheating dead enders are trying to steal keys by sending players malware. You obviously don't want to open anything sent to you unless you know it's legitimate.

When I deactivate keys I make no exceptions, so be careful!
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Re: Watch out for key stealing malware

Post by Wahlamt »

Thanks for the warning!
Itz Raidox
Team: Westeffex.com

Post by Itz Raidox »

do we have an idea on what the malware is called/looks like or is it just an .exe?

but also another Question is if it is an .exe why would they need it for sim if it isnt a new snapshot?
Smidly wrote:
Jeremy150 wrote:ARLINGTON PASSWORD
e/9v8ta/%ar{dV':/.>qhyT
really bro this is the best password you could come up with? smh bro
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

Doesn't have to be an .exe to get that, a bad link is enough.
SMITH_119

Post by SMITH_119 »

I don't even think you have to click on a link for them to get your info, I think they can grab keys just by you being in a specific racing server. When my key was stolen I hadn't clicked any links that I didn't know who created for months. All I downloaded from mx sim was new RF Tracks and Emf Tracks. I also only joined official RF and EMF qualifying and race servers. I would say everyone is at risk..
broland278
Team: MotoSavage

Post by broland278 »

I was informed your information could be stolen via being in a server. With that being the case, it makes me not even want to play with the fact I could lose my key without appeal over some dumb shit.
MOTOZ293
Team: Hog Heaven Racing

Post by MOTOZ293 »

Here’s the beginning of the end.. why do people think they’re cool
Shanasman450
Team: Privateer

Post by Shanasman450 »

Ive heard rumors of this. So you mean to tell me some little shit can steal my key, get it deactivated, and get away with it while I'm out $40? No appeals for this kind of thing?
savage_ryan4
Team: IBcorp Racing

Post by savage_ryan4 »

Shanasman450 wrote:Ive heard rumors of this. So you mean to tell me some little shit can steal my key, get it deactivated, and get away with it while I'm out $40? No appeals for this kind of thing?
+1
you should click that fkn banner
Cade328
Team: LMR Honda

Post by Cade328 »

savage_ryan4 wrote:
Shanasman450 wrote:Ive heard rumors of this. So you mean to tell me some little shit can steal my key, get it deactivated, and get away with it while I'm out $40? No appeals for this kind of thing?
+1
+1
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Itz Raidox wrote:do we have an idea on what the malware is called/looks like or is it just an .exe?

but also another Question is if it is an .exe why would they need it for sim if it isnt a new snapshot?
Doesn't have to be an exe. Could be any kind of script or executable or just data if the software that opens it has an exploitable bug.

As for why the victim would run a random exe, they probably expected it to be cheats. I may as well say it's Cody Dawe doing this. He got a handful of keys yesterday and around half of them were already deactivated for cheating last month, so it's pretty obvious he's spying on his own users. No honor among thieves. He ought to be paying his users back for the keys he lost for them, instead he's stealing more from them.
SMITH_119 wrote:I don't even think you have to click on a link for them to get your info, I think they can grab keys just by you being in a specific racing server. When my key was stolen I hadn't clicked any links that I didn't know who created for months. All I downloaded from mx sim was new RF Tracks and Emf Tracks. I also only joined official RF and EMF qualifying and race servers. I would say everyone is at risk..
The server never has your key. It only sees a hash. If I remember correctly, your key was shared in January with someone near Maine. My guess is that's someone you thought you could trust. Around 2 months later the key started getting passed around and found its way to a cheater.
broland278 wrote:I was informed your information could be stolen via being in a server. With that being the case, it makes me not even want to play with the fact I could lose my key without appeal over some dumb shit.
See above. The server never gets your key.
If you run their malware, yes. They could actually do much worse than that since you're pretty much pwned at that point. They could run a keylogger and get any login you have. $40 is pretty much peanuts compared to the worst that could happen.

On the bright side, he's stumbled into criminal actions now. Making cheats isn't criminal but sending malware definitely is.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
broland278
Team: MotoSavage

Post by broland278 »

jlv wrote:Lots of info.
Ah okay, thanks for the clarification!
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

SMITH_119 wrote:I don't even think you have to click on a link for them to get your info, I think they can grab keys just by you being in a specific racing server. When my key was stolen I hadn't clicked any links that I didn't know who created for months. All I downloaded from mx sim was new RF Tracks and Emf Tracks. I also only joined official RF and EMF qualifying and race servers. I would say everyone is at risk..
jlv wrote:The server never has your key. It only sees a hash. If I remember correctly, your key was shared in January with someone near Maine. My guess is that's someone you thought you could trust. Around 2 months later the key started getting passed around and found its way to a cheater.
This is like showing somebody security video of something they absolutely swear they didn't do.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
Shanasman450

Post by Shanasman450 »

[quote="jlv"]
If you run their malware, yes. They could actually do much worse than that since you're pretty much pwned at that point. They could run a keylogger and get any login you have. $40 is pretty much peanuts compared to the worst that could happen.

On the bright side, he's stumbled into criminal actions now. Making cheats isn't criminal but sending malware definitely is./quote]

Right. Definitely not the worst that could happen, but still a pain in the ol backside.

Thank you for all the info.
Shanasman450

Post by Shanasman450 »

RIP my attempt to quote lol