VR Support (Oculus Rift)

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
ShackAttack12

Re: VR Support (Oculus Rift)

Post by ShackAttack12 »

jlv wrote: Like I said before, an airplane is a better fit since the cockpit is basically your world / frame of reference and is very visible.

I'm not saying I don't want to try it. Just being realistic about it being a bad fit for VR according to what I've read.
Let's try it! I'd be pumped to alpha test it for you. I think it would be a great improvement to the game.
ShackAttack12
| 2010 Supercross Champ | 2011 Supercross Champ | 2019 Supercross Champ |
onefoureight
Team: Not Splitfire

Post by onefoureight »

I'm all down for trialing it, but there's no way you could use the current camera settings. You'd need an angle that'd be both higher and back.

you'd need a fp_rider_helmet jm so you can't see the riders helmet and then base the camera smack bang in the middle of the seat but rider helmet height.

You'd also need to have the camera so it doesn't move with the braking bumps like the current camera does or you'll be puking from motion sickness in about 10 seconds flat. At the very least it needs to smoothed out a lot. But it also needs to move backwards and forwards at the riders commands.

If you're going to do it I'll go buy an oculus or whatever motion tracking headwear you'd need right now.
2015 Australian Supercross 450 champion | rF Villain | Wolf Pack Racing Leader | CBL Gaming
Fullwood
Team: Ballistic Decals

Post by Fullwood »

rewrew421 wrote:I didnt read all that word for word but.....

iRacing, very very popular with the rift, breaks almost all those rules? IMO racing games are the cream of the crop for VR systems at this point.
Same with MX Bikes
Uollie

Post by Uollie »

I tried MX Bikes' go at VR support a long time ago but I really thought it added to the experience. It was really cool to look around in the air on jumps and look ahead in turns.

I don't really play MX Bikes though, but if I did I'm sure I'd play it in VR. I'd definitely play MXS in VR if I had the option since I prefer the feel of MXS more.

As for the nausea stuff. I can be prone to getting nauseous in car rides or on planes etc, but in VR I've never felt any effects of motion sickness. I've played basically every VR game there is too, even random apps like google maps that let you fly around with zero frame of reference and it was fine.

Those guidelines are just to encapsulate everyone I think, and it seems a lot of people can actually handle it. I remember when everyone said movement in VR wasn't going to be possible because motion sickness was just unavoidable to most, so every game at some point had teleportation locomotion. Now you see basically all games offer all forms of locomotion as an option, and smooth locomotion on by default.

I vote for taking a shot at it, and see how it goes. If it were as easy as flipping a switch to ON for VR support, I'd say 100% it works. But I don't know what you'd need to actually do to get your own game running it. So there's that :P
minimath4
Team: Privateer

Post by minimath4 »

I also vote for a VR mode test.
I have in my possession a virtual reality headset "Oculus Rift".
So I can do tests without any worries.
You have to know that I could try VR mode in MXGP pro, and Supercross the game and the result is amazing! It's unbelievable to be able to turn around in a save, get in big jumps etc.
It might be great to have VR mode in MXS.

Please, JLV. :oops:
minimath4

Post by minimath4 »

It's unbelievable to be able to turn your head in a jump, get in big jumps etc. ** Sorry
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

My take on it is this JLV...If they seek it out, give it to them. They know they might get sick, but you do get used to it according to some of the MXB guys that use VR. There is the rare cat that never acclimates and always gets sick. These are however, snowflake millennials, but they are thrillseekers!
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

My take on it is this JLV...If they seek it out, give it to them. They know they might get sick, but you do get used to it according to some of the MXB guys that use VR. There is the rare cat that never acclimates and always gets sick. These are however, snowflake millennials, but they are thrillseekers!
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

I'm not against it. It's just such a niche thing and there are so many other things I need to do.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
minimath4

Post by minimath4 »

If we can believe it, and wait for it to happen, it's already a big plus!
Thank you JLV! :)
We are waiting for your news on this subject. :D
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

minimath4 wrote:If we can believe it, and wait for it to happen, it's already a big plus!
Thank you JLV! :)
We are waiting for your news on this subject. :D
Not to shoot you down, but I'd rather interpret his response as "It's cool, but it's only a few people that has it so I think other things regarding the entire game are more important, therefor VR probably will never happen". But yesz VR would be awesome.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Wahlamt wrote:Not to shoot you down, but I'd rather interpret his response as "It's cool, but it's only a few people that has it so I think other things regarding the entire game are more important, therefor VR probably will never happen". But yesz VR would be awesome.
Yeah. It's something I'd do after I'm caught up with everything else, which while sooner than never is definitely not anytime soon.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
minimath4

Post by minimath4 »

a bit of off topic but
is there a subject with the future evolutions of the game planned?
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

minimath4 wrote:a bit of off topic but
is there a subject with the future evolutions of the game planned?
Nothing recent. My near term plans are to make the 1.13 installer and probably moving erode processing to a separate thread after that.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com