MX server not working after port forward

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
NicoMacArthur
Team: Soulja Boy Factory

MX server not working after port forward

Post by NicoMacArthur »

Hello, I've been having some frustrating problems with trying to run a mxsim server. I have done everything correctly, to my knowledge. I downloaded the right version of the server.exe, set up the serverargs file, and port forwarded using UDP on port 19800. originally i was running it using hamachi (before i tried to port forward) , but now i trying to port forward to make it easier for friends to connect. My problem is, when i put my ip and port 19800 in https://www.canyouseeme.org (open port checker tool thingy) it says it cant see my service running. so of course my friends cant connect to it.

I really dont understand why, especially since my minecraft server works just fine right now (I'm obviously not running both mxsim and minecraft servers at the same time)

I even tried switching the port in serverargs and portforwarded and port-checked to a different port, but still no luck.
sorry if this is a problem that has already been discussed, couldn't find it on the fourums!
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: MX server not working after port forward

Post by jlv »

Do local connections work on 127.0.0.1?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
NicoMacArthur

Post by NicoMacArthur »

I can connect to the server using localhost in the server ip bar, if thats what u mean
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Are you sure the server is running? It's either not running or the local software firewall is blocking UDP 19800.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
NicoMacArthur

Post by NicoMacArthur »

yep its definitely running, and to why ive seen in my firewall settings, the port 19800 is all clear.
NicoMacArthur

Post by NicoMacArthur »

correction:

yep its definitely running, and what ive seen in my firewall settings shows that the port 19800 is all clear.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

"localhost" should be working in that case. Make sure the mxserver process is listed in task manager. If mxserver is running and you still can't connect using localhost on the same computer something is blocking the port.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
NicoMacArthur

Post by NicoMacArthur »

I can connect through localhost just fine. Im guessing its some kind of networking thing that i cant see.
NicoMacArthur

Post by NicoMacArthur »

Actually i think its most likely something wrong on the server.exe side of things. I checked every firewall and saw nothing about the port being blocked
is there no server setup step i couldve missed? because im pretty sure filled out the serverargs correctly.
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

Have you port forwarded to your ip/using a static ip from your computer? Not all routers can forward to an unspecified ip.
NicoMacArthur

Post by NicoMacArthur »

Do you mean static local ip? Yea that never changes, its always 192.168.0.11

The public ip does change, but only when the router is reset, and like i said my minecraft server works just fine
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

NicoMacArthur wrote:I can connect through localhost just fine. Im guessing its some kind of networking thing that i cant see.
Whoops. I misread your first post and thought you said localhost wasn't working. Probably something going wrong with the port forwarding in that case. Make sure you don't have both your router and modem doing NAT translation, you'd have to double forward if it was misconfigured like that. Also, the open port checker probably tries to make a TCP connection and won't see a UDP server.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
NicoMacArthur

Post by NicoMacArthur »

Ok, i tried using a udp portchecker, and it still says "port closed"

Im pretty sure my modem and router are 1 unit, so how do i make sure they arent doing NAT translation?
Wahlamt
Team: MLG Compton

Post by Wahlamt »

NicoMacArthur wrote:Ok, i tried using a udp portchecker, and it still says "port closed"

Im pretty sure my modem and router are 1 unit, so how do i make sure they arent doing NAT translation?
There's usually a setting somewhere where it's either NAT on or off, or "nat or bridging".
NicoMacArthur

Post by NicoMacArthur »

should i turn NAT off then?